Non-motoring > is it cooold or is it me? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 64

is it cooold or is it me? - devonite
Sat here in the Hovel, living room is 18C, i've two jumpers on, a bobble hat and a cat on my lap, i'm bloomin freezing! should I be?

Please explain.
 is it cooold or is it me? - Robin O'Reliant
Shorts and tee shirt all day, tan coming along nicely.
 is it cooold or is it me? - Old Navy
Put the heating on you tight git. It's T shirt weather up here in sunny Scotland. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 16 May 16 at 20:23
 is it cooold or is it me? - WillDeBeest
I've two jumpers on, a bobble hat and a cat on my lap, I'm bloomin freezing!

Take the tinfoil skullcap off your head so you can put the bobble hat on. It looks silly on the cat.
I'll have to get a Tartan blanket to go over my thighs, the cat's nice and warm but it keeps moving, the "ole" timers knew how to keep warm in them days!

Cold never used to bother me, but these days i shiver in a heatwave, must be an age thing plus losing 4 stone of blubber, or watching too much "life below Zero" (not that one!).

Has he been heard from since?
 is it cooold or is it me? - Bromptonaut
The sun in May is as strong as in July but a northerly airflow at this time of year is still blooming chilly. Deep shade and/or no shelter from wind and it feels really cold.

Ten years ago we camped near Newquay for the spring bank holiday. UK was in a northerly airflow, night temperatures in low single figures. Tent was freezing until sunrise at 04:30 when one could finally drop off in the warm.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 16 May 16 at 21:03
 is it cooold or is it me? - Dog
I'm in shorts and T shirt too, but I have felt a tad Chile today, specially indoors b'cos these olde stone cottages are akin to cold stores if you don't heat them.

I do have a Dimplex Cadiz eco heater on, and it's a cozy 23° in here at the mo. Orf out with the Pointer now and 23° will feel HOT when I return in 1 hours time.
 is it cooold or is it me? - Runfer D'Hills
Yep, a little light excercise would warm you up. Just been for my ( most ) nightly 1000m swim. No heat on in the house now, t-shirt and jeans, no socks, perfectly warm and comfortable.

Walk the cat or something !

;-)
Can your lad out swim you as well as out bike you? :-)
If I'm feeling unwell, yes, both...

;-)
Excuses. :-)

Which reminds me, I saw a T shirt with the logo "Excuses don't burn calories" today.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 16 May 16 at 21:57
Annoying though isn't it when your brain has a strong opinion that your age is locked somewhere in your late 20s to early 30s and your body disagrees...

:-(
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Mon 16 May 16 at 22:02
I know what you mean, I no longer ski. :-(
Knees?
 is it cooold or is it me? - tyrednemotional
...no, it's not cold enough.....

(see what I did there).
Oh hi Nobby, thought you were in a camping van in a lake or something?

;-)
...I've been known to do both at the same time :-(

Just having a short time at home before taking the motorhome motorcaravan campervan bobil off to Norway for four weeks.

This retirement's a tough job, but someone has to do it!.
Not jealous, who me? Nah, not even slightly, whatever gave you that idea? Pah ! Who would want to do that?

Suppose you might have a vaguely nice time, a few of the days...

;-)
 is it cooold or is it me? - legacylad
Last time I went to Norway five of us sailed from Newcastle to Bergen. I borrowed my ex FiLs Disco and filled suitcases with decent quality wine. My abiding memories are roll mop herring for bfast, yomping up a snow covered hill called the Fat Pig overtaking groups of tourists roped together and my ex negotiating free B & B along the coast in exchange for several bottles of wine.
Nice place. Shame about the price of beer
I had way too much pickled fish in Denmark last week. It's only a short flight back, but have you any idea of the depth of concentration it takes not to break wind for an hour and twenty minutes? Had a kangaroo steak too while I was there. Not sure it's an entirely typical Danish thing but y'know, it was there so what can you do?
Talking of concentrating whilst on a flight Runfer, I used to accompany a gf to the IOM on her quarterly business trips. I got to drive the hire car all around the island whilst she was in business meetings, then helped her unwind in the evening...we flew Manx out of LBA. Tiny aircraft where everyone had a window seat. Across the aisle from me was a Mr Creosote lookalike, and minutes after take off popped out of his seat. I duly enquired what he required as the two cabin crew were occupied driving the thing. A toilet he replied. There were none on board. He also concentrated the remainder of the flight. Intensely I would imagine because the microlight we were in got tossed all over the sky!
Still makes me smile
...I'll be interested to see how the prices have moved. This will be our fourth visit to Norway, and on previous occasions standard-strength beer (Ringnes) wasn't overpriced in supermarkets.

Anything stronger than that (and wine and spirits of course) have to be bought in the Vinmonopolet state monopoly (though, surprisingly, wine wasn't hugely overpriced).

Anything bought "with service" however (i.e. at a bar or with a meal) requires a second mortgage).

Odd idea the Vinmonopolet, the state having a real dichotomy as to whether to promote or restrict consumption.

Similar system in Sweden (with the Systembolaget) and Finland, with the prosaicly-named Alko :-)

When we took the 'van to Finland three years ago, we loaded up with wine-boxes, which just lasted us out.

Of course, Norway isn't in the EU, so import is very restricted, and we couldn't possibly flout that, oh no!
Just take lots of bottles of 'lemonade' ( Gordon's lemonade )...
...the last time we took a 'van to Norway, it was via Newcastle/Bergen.

I was practising how to say "Nothing to declare" with a straight face, but we were waved straight off the boat and out of the docks via a back gate without even seeing a photograph of anyone with official standing.....

I was disappoint....
 is it cooold or is it me? - Dog
>>Norway isn't in the EU

They're not as crazy as their language sounds then: www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8a4HjA9NCo
I packed it in while they still work. My knees and hips are still good apart from one hip that gets uncomfortable after about three or four miles of walking. Mrs ON has a damaged knee from skiing but is still fully mobile.
 is it cooold or is it me? - Bromptonaut
>> Annoying though isn't it when your brain has a strong opinion that your age is
>> locked somewhere in your late 20s to early 30s and your body disagrees...
>>
>> :-(

Ahhh. Had that one fell walking with The Lad a year ago.
Joking aside, a lot of the older mountain bikers are skiers or ex-skiers. It's not the same of course but hurling yourself down hills on a bike can be almost as much fun, and you can do it all year round. I've done both all my life (more or less) and the biking really helps with the skiing muscles.
Warm as toast in Airedale. Travelled down to West Yorkshire and spent almost 9 hours pressure washing patios & stone paths at a friends home. When he finished work at 6 I took him on a lovely 5 mile walk in glorious evening sun. Shorts & t shirt, home for a lovely meal cooked by his other half and told him he must get fitter! Even with a manky hip I left him for dead up some short steep hills. I've not been cold all day
If you've only one good hip, for your next holiday, you might want to try island hopping?

Coat available...

;-)
Scilly suggestion
...I don't know, I'd Mull it over if I were you.....
One legged man goes into a shoe shop.

Help you sir?

Got any flip flips?

Yeah, ok, night...

;-)
 is it cooold or is it me? - smokie
Back to being cold for a second, SWMBO suffers this and has an underactive thyroid which can cause it. Turns out I have one of them too but it doesn't affect me (yet).

Maybe worth going to the quack for a blood test.
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 17 May 16 at 07:48
 is it cooold or is it me? - MD
Chilly here this morning, but the day of which you speak was very warm and pleasant.
 is it cooold or is it me? - Roger.
Heating on for the last couple of evenings. Brr.
The advantage of having a well insulated bungalow is the heating only cuts in for a short period first thing in the morning at this time of year and all the heat does not go upstairs.
 is it cooold or is it me? - Alanovich
I hadn't thought of that advantage to single story living, ON.

In my house, when it's warm outside and the heating is off, the upstairs is warmer than the downstairs, but when the heating's on in the winter, the downstairs remains warmer than up and I can't work out why. I think I blame a trickle vent in the stairwell window, occasionally I feel its effect directly. The vent is there because of the positioning of the boiler centrally in the house, away from external walls (wouldn't be allowed these days and if I ever need a new boiler it'll have to be installed elsewhere), so I'm not closing it. All rads set to max in all rooms/corridors on both floors, house thermostat is in downstairs hallway, middle of house. Very well insulated 1970s house with double glazing, cavity wall insulation and plenty of insulation in the loft.
Last edited by: Alanović on Tue 17 May 16 at 11:16
>> The vent is there because of the positioning of the boiler centrally in the house, away from external walls
>> (wouldn't be allowed these days and if I ever need a new boiler it'll have
>> to be installed elsewhere),

Not so, a combi boiler either system (with hot water tank) or self contained can be fitted almost anywhere. They take their air supply down the flue and are sealed from the house. Mine is in my loft space. Fourth one down and fourth one in.

www.amreid.co.uk/boilers.html
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 17 May 16 at 11:31
My existing old fashioned floor standing system boiler is in a cupboard in the middle of the house. I have been told by the gasman who services it that, when it goes pop, the replacement will have to be on an external wall. The existing boiler (it's on the ground floor) vents in to the chimney breast (open fireplace in living room) and out through the roof.

If yours is in the loft, that's fine because it can vent directly to the outside. Loft is a potential site for any new boiler in my house too, although I think I'll favour the built-in garage.
Not sure how to link to it but Worcester Bosch tech bulletin 49a (a PDF) on their website shows a flexible flue up a chimney up to 12 metres long for a combi boiler.
 is it cooold or is it me? - Focusless
>> Not sure how to link to it but Worcester Bosch tech bulletin 49a (a PDF)

www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/support/document/download/TB0049
Thanks.
Hey, ON, just for interest, here's the floorplan of a neighbour's house, nearly identical to mine:

www.davistate.com/media_floorplan.php?propertyID=20764&networkID=100&size=Native

The boiler is the little grey cupboard shown just behind the staircase. There's an open fire in the living room just behind, and the two things share a chimney breast. This neighbour has converted the garage in to a family room and store, my house still retains the area as a garage. If you look at the upper floor plan, you can see a window next to the staircase, this is where the trickle vent lives.
Last edited by: Alanović on Tue 17 May 16 at 12:42
Ah, I see. My house is different in that the boiler flue is venting in to a chimney shared with an open fire place, which is a no-no these days, and the arrangement in that picture would be impossible under those circumstances, and it would involve pretty major construction to run a flue to an outside wall from the existing location at my place. The nearest of which is about 5 metres away. I expect my gasman has taken all this in to account when telling me that a replacement can only go on an external wall in my property.

The gas main rises in my garage (meter is there too), and there are water pipes there too, so it's the obvious answer.

Evidently I was mistaken and there are circs under which a boiler can be installed on an internal wall, but it wouldn't be practical in my house. I've taken my gasman's explanations to mean it's generally not allowed, wrong end of the stick.
Most of the bungalows around here have the flue going straight up through the roof from an internal walk in cupboard, the equivalent of having a boiler on the top floor of a house. We increased the cupboard space by having the boiler in the loft space. A combi also needs a drain, preferably internal for frost protection, the boiler will shut down if it blocks with ice.
 is it cooold or is it me? - RichardW
>>. A combi also needs a drain, preferably internal for frost protection, the boiler
>> will shut down if it blocks with ice.

No, no, no.....! A CONDENSING boiler needs a drain - this may or may not be a combi boiler; and vice-versa - although you need a pretty good excuse for not installing a condensing boiler these days.
>> No, no, no.....! A CONDENSING boiler needs a drain - this may or may not
>> be a combi boiler;

OK, OK, I have a CONDENSING combi boiler. Ye gods, a plumbing pedant. :-)
 is it cooold or is it me? - RichardW
You could leave the boiler where it is, and run the flue just under the ceiling in the Study, and then box it in. My sister's is done like this; boiler in the centre of the house and flued across the top of the adjacent downstairs toilet. You can go up about 10m with a concentric flue; maybe twice that with a twin pipe system. It gets expensive mind, the flue will end up costing more than the boiler! Just depends on how hard it's going to be to get the CH and HW pipes to/from the new boiler location.
Thanks, ON and RW. Helpful stuff.

Not sure the missus would wear a boxed in flue in the study, but I can see it's an option now and if it's significantly cheaper than relocation of the boiler maybe it's a goer.

Happily, the gasman gives our old Potterton a clean bill of health every year and says only corrosion will kill it - and there is no sign of corrosion at the moment.
I expect that would only be fitted if the chimney breast is on an external wall. Ours isn't, it's 100% internal. BTW, our house isn't suitable for a combi boiler. Too big, too many bathrooms.

My gasman has explicitly stated that a replacement must be installed on an external wall, and he's talking about a system boiler as he has discounted a combi being suitable for our home/family. I believe him.

Anyway, thee point was a chilly upstairs because of a legally-required window vent due to having the boiler where it is - I can't close that vent until the boiler is moved elsewhere.
Our C.H system is one I self - installed 25yrs ago, Gas board Quoted me £2200, local contractor £2500, I worked out what I needed even down to the bending springs by chalking it out on the bare floor-boards, then hired a van and trotted off to Harrison- McCarthy at Manchester, picked it all up inc boiler for £1100.

The boiler (Myson Midas B) has only let us down once, and the local repair fella told the Mrs that it needed a new main circuit board, and that would be £360. I came home from work, changed the 13amp fuse in the plug, and bingo! - that was 10 yrs ago. they don't make 'em like this anymore, 10yrs and they're worn out.
 is it cooold or is it me? - sooty123
I came home from work, changed the 13amp fuse in the plug, and bingo! - that was 10 yrs ago. they don't make 'em like this anymore, 10yrs and they're worn out.
>>

Ours got changed when it was about 7 years old, it did have a couple of faults but they were fairly minor stuff and was working fine. maybe we got lucky and got rid just before all the problems started?
 is it cooold or is it me? - sherlock47
A

2 points come immediately to mind...

IIRC if you are running an internal flue to an outside wall it is necessary to have inspection capability for every joint - looks pretty impressive if it is run across the ceiling of an existing living room. Not sure what would happen if it was run vertically inside an existing chimney?

Stick with a new system boiler retaining your existing header tank - a combi with the inceased pessure of the ch system can only end in tears with existing old pipework, valves and radiators.

2 becomes 4!

If you end with a combi in the loft and access is difficult how do you check/topup the system pressure?

If you want the full 7year guarantee on say a WB you will need a thorough system flush, which can also expose leaks on old radiators.
 is it cooold or is it me? - rtj70
>> Cold never used to bother me, but these days i shiver in a heatwave

What does the doctor say? What meds if any are you on? Maybe your circulation is being disrupted by medication, e.g. a beta blocker of some sort?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 17 May 16 at 16:43
I blame global cooling.
I'm now early stage 5 Renal failure, which is why I've lost the weight, been Hospital today for my 2-monthly check and in that time I've lost 10kg, down from 15st 9oz - 10st 3oz in 14months, maybe that's the real reason. The Dietician has today scrapped my Renal diet and has urged me to "eat like a Horse". Mrs is soooo jealous!! ;-)
 is it cooold or is it me? - No FM2R
Jeez, sorry to hear that Devonite. I just had the crap scared out of me in hospital, albeit I'm recovering now, so I have huge sympathy for you.
>> I just had the...

Too much pickled fish had much the same effect on me.

Keep well devonite.
>> Keep well devonite.
>>

X2, and thank your lucky stars we have an NHS. I would be dead several times over without it.
 is it cooold or is it me? - No FM2R
>> thank your lucky stars we have an NHS.

Amen to that. Living somewhere there is no NHS is quite an eye opener. I just wish it was better run.
Thank you!- So you can be sentimental after all! ;-) Best regards to you as well, hope all is ok!
And to you as well Old Navy! ;-)
Last edited by: devonite on Tue 17 May 16 at 20:59
Sorry to hear the diagnosis and was not prying. But it sounded to me there was an underlying condition and maybe you'd not gone to the doctors. A message for others though.

Feeling cold when it's hot can be a serious symptom. I'll leave it at that. I don't know what the prognosis is but I sincerely wish you the best. :-)
Thanks! ;-)
Father in law feels the cold badly - he's on Atenolol (beta blocker). But feeling cold when it's warm/hot is something different of course.

We should be thankful of our health service in the UK.
Latest Forum Posts