Non-motoring > It's quiet. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 17

It's quiet. - Old Navy
Is everyone watching Eurovision? It's mandatory here.

How come Australia is in the competition, which must be political because all the acts are crap. No one is as good as ABBA.
 It's quiet. - Robin O'Reliant
Probably the last time I watched it was when Lulu won.
 It's quiet. - Bromptonaut
Remember Abba winning and before that Vicky Leandros. Not much resemblance between the French language Apres Toi and the English Come What May.

Both are on my 'Eclectic' playlist though.
 It's quiet. - Ian (Cape Town)
How come Mozambique is in the Commonwealth Games?

As far as Eurovison goes, I liked those headcases from Finland a few years back. They were great.

Sandie Shaw? Belter. Still a great song in a pub scenario.

Abba? Phwoooooaaaar!

It's quiet. - CGNorwich
Watched it most years. I know we are only meant to watch it in an ironic way but I quite enjoy it. Russia will won this year I think.
 It's quiet. - Bromptonaut
>> How come Mozambique is in the Commonwealth Games?

'Cos it's part of the Commonwealth?

Probably a result of the MAchel>Mandela thing but........
 It's quiet. - Ian (Cape Town)
>> Probably a result of the MAchel>Mandela thing but........
Highly likely.

For me, the massive irony is the local politicos spouting off about the colonialists, imperialists etc... yet they celebrate being awarded the Commonwealth Games for Durban in 2018 (They were the only bidder, by the way) - forgetting that it is in fact the biggest celebration of imperialism and colonialism ever.
 It's quiet. - Alastairw
Australia are in because they have watched it from afar for 35 years or so, and were invited to play last year for the 60th anniversary. Won't be long before the Yanks enter, imo.
If the Aussies win we get to host the final apparently, due to time differences.
 It's quiet. - Old Navy
>> Australia are in because .............

You watched the programme from the start then. :-)
 It's quiet. - Old Navy
How long will it be before the stay in the EU supporters use the "We will be thrown out of Eurovision" card? :-)
 It's quiet. - Mike H
We can but hope :-)
 It's quiet. - Ted

I think we last watched it when Pearl Carr and Teddy Johnson were representing UK.....in black and white !
 It's quiet. - CGNorwich
Well it's Ukraine.
 It's quiet. - CGNorwich
Probably not going to be well received by the Russians who were favourites.

Ukraines song was about the mass deportation of Tatars from Crimea under the orders of Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin during World War II. Jamala has said that the somber lyrics were inspired by the experiences of her great-grandmother
 It's quiet. - smokie
I watched it for the first time in years.

And we ended up discussing the lighting on peoples clothing, in particular the presenter lady.

SWMBO and daughter said it was reflecting sequins.

I said they were wearable LEDs. Not least cos they seemed to flicker.

Anyone else got an opinion?

There were some astonishing lighting effects throughout the show, but especially when the screen turned into a wall which the bloke climbed up. Almost worthy of Dynamo...
 It's quiet. - Cliff Pope

>> 'Cos it's part of the Commonwealth?
>>

Anyone can apply to be a member of the Commonwealth.
Likewise I think anyone can become a member of the European Broadcasting Club, or some such name, which carries with it a right to enter the song contest.
A bit like having a Lloyds Club account - not many perks, but you do get a free magazine.
 It's quiet. - Clk Sec
>>It's quiet

It would be less so if Zeddo returned...
 It's quiet. - Slidingpillar
Likewise I think anyone can become a member of the European Broadcasting Club, or some such name, which carries with it a right to enter the song contest.

European Broadcasting Union (EBU) actually. I think if you are not in Europe, you have to be an associate.
Latest Forum Posts