Non-motoring > Anybody any good with mushrooms ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 37

Anybody any good with mushrooms ? - borasport
Got a big bowlful of these
tinyurl.com/2uuegb3
out of the back garden, but not confident enough to have a taste without some positive identification.

I know long ago in the other place there used to be a poster called Leif who knew about these things, but I think he dropped by the wayside a long time ago
 Anybody any good with mushrooms ? - Iffy
Strange time of year for mushrooms, assuming you're in the UK.

They look benign enough, and I would be prepared to eat them.

The vast majority of mushrooms are edible, and the ones that are not are most likely to only give you an upset tummy.

Unpleasant, and to be avoided if possible, but not fatal

The chances of you killing yourself with a field mushroom are tiny.

Fry one and try it - you'll soon know if it's right or wrong.

Anybody any good with mushrooms ? - CGNorwich

The comment that the indedible ones will only give you a stomach ache is unfortunately very wide of the mark. Death Caps and Destroying Angels (the clue is in the name!) can and probably will kill you if eaten. Unless you can positively identify any mushroom then do not eat it.

That said there are plenty of edible varieties which can be identified easily. Many boletes for example are edible and puffballs, which cannot be confused with anything are delicious.

Anybody any good with mushrooms ? - L'escargot
I don't know anything about mushrooms myself, but I know a man who does. www.rogersmushrooms.com/
 Anybody any good with mushrooms ? - Bellboy
A quick google brings up many people who i guess now regret eating unknown mushrooms
I have a ladybird pocket book to identify all british types but i still wont eat any that arent off the shelves of the local shoppers emporium
Looking at the link posted by Les, none of the poisonous mushrooms are large and flat.

So I don't think Borasport's heirs had better start spending the inheritance just yet.
 Anybody any good with mushrooms ? - R.P.
Given Iffy's confidence perhaps the OP should rustle up a quick Mushroom Omelette and invite him to partake ! :-)
 Anybody any good with mushrooms ? - Zero
Yes, I have some strange purple berries he can test for me as well.
 Anybody any good with mushrooms ? - Ted
>> Yes, I have some strange purple berries

See your GP, Z. He may give you an ointment !

Ted
 Anybody any good with mushrooms ? - MD
>> See your GP, Z. He may give you an ointment !
>>
Isn't that a Kawasaki??
...Given Iffy's confidence perhaps the OP should rustle up a quick Mushroom Omelette and invite him to partake ! :-)...

No worries, the greatest risk to me would be being run off the road by Michael Schumacher on the way over, or being swerved into by some twit on an out of control overloaded 125. :)

There certainly won't be mushroom for anything else on the 125...
 Anybody any good with mushrooms ? - Mapmaker
Roger's Mushrooms returns 380 types of poisonous mushrooms, and 19 deadly poisonous mushrooms.

Bear in mind that the cause of death from mushroom poisoning is most likely liver failure. The only cure is a liver transplant.

If you are really so poor that you can only afford to eat mushrooms found in the garden, I suggest sitting on the local high street for a couple of hours and begging.
Many of the deadly ones on the Roger's site are from the USA, and from a quick glance I couldn't see any that resembled the OP's.

When I lived on the farm, freshly picked mushrooms - eaten within the hour - were a real treat.

The farmer who foraged for them had been doing so for many years, but was certainly no expert.

I think if you nip the head off and leave the stalk, the mushroom will grow again, so you can return to the same place to get some more.
so you can return to the same place to get some more.

Assuming you got it right in the first place !
 Anybody any good with mushrooms ? - corax
>>I know long ago in the other place there used to be a poster called Leif who knew about these things

He posts quite regularly on HJ. I would post it over there if I was you, assuming he notices it on the non-motoring section, as I've had a few (pleasant) exchanges with him, but on the motoring side.

Personally I would be cautious. Death cap looks very much like a normal mushroom except for a green tinge on the underside. Highly poisonous if eaten, even fatal.
Last edited by: corax on Mon 2 Aug 10 at 12:40
 Anybody any good with mushrooms ? - devonite
They look exactly like the ones i caught an cooked for brekkie this morning!
and i`m still h

e

r

e

you can always be a Funguy and try them!
 Anybody any good with mushrooms ? - AnotherJohnH
I'm no great mushroom expert, but IMHO, there are a number of vital clues missing:

size of the "mushrooms",
the smell of them,
what happens when they are cut or bruised.

All things considered, I'd pass - the location is wrong, unless you've been using spent mushroom compost in living memory.

The only ones I've picked, and obviously survived, were from an ancient meadow known for mushrooms, picked in the autumn.

The safest way of finding out about them is to go "mushrooming" with somebody who really knows what they are talking about.

If in doubt, don't.
 Anybody any good with mushrooms ? - FotheringtonTomas
>> I'm no great mushroom expert, but IMHO, there are a number of vital clues missing:
>>
>> size of the "mushrooms",
>> the smell of them,
>> what happens when they are cut or bruised.

It would be useful to see decent pictures of immature specimens, too.

Sorry - and a good picture of the whole "root end".

Oh, and a "section".
Last edited by: FotheringtonTomas on Mon 2 Aug 10 at 19:40
By the way, they probably contain ooglie-dooglies by now. Not harmful, but extremely unappetising.
bit.ly/aShG8D

Anybody any good with mushrooms ? - Armel Coussine
Deadly ones bruise blue. You wouldn't fancy them anyway. People who eat them by mistake these days may mistake them for magic ones. Those have never worked on me.

Anything orange in colour and trumpet shaped will be good. False chanterelles are delicious as well as real ones.
It's a myth that all the deadly ones bruise blue AC. There are number that don't and that includes the Destroying Angel which is pure white in colour and sometimes mistaken for an immature mushroom. Less than half of one can be fatal.

You can only really identify fungi by checking multiple characteristics. There is no single test which you can rely on to identify poisonous varieties. - Apart from feeding them to someone else of course!
 Anybody any good with mushrooms ? - helicopter
The picture is showing what look to me very like 'horse ' mushrooms of the type that I used to pick and eat fresh fried for breakfast when I was a lad on the farm .

Having said that , I am much more cautious these days about the source of what I eat , particularly mushrooms and shellfish.......

Anybody any good with mushrooms ? - Mapmaker
AC, false chanterelles are widely held to be poisonous. Although some claim they are merely a culinary disappointment.
There must be an Iphone app for this, or a google goggles app?
 Anybody any good with mushrooms ? - Armel Coussine
>> false chanterelles are widely held to be poisonous. Although some claim they are merely a culinary disappointment.

They are extremely good, and I am still alive.

Didn't much like fried puffballs though. Slimy.
Um, borasport, yo' still dere?
retch,splutter,retch, vomit etc,etc,

We'd stored them in a plastic bag in the fridge and by the time we got home last night they looked so manky and sweaty that even had everybody here said 'they are absolutely harmless, taste wonderful, will increase you longevity/virility/get you a better job' we'd still have thrown them in the bin.

There may be another time !

Anybody any good with mushrooms ? - Tooslow
Shame you're not called Gordon really. Then someone could have said... wait for it...

Gordon's Alive!

Is this my coat or someone elses?

JH
>> We'd stored them in a plastic bag...

If you need to keep fungi in a bag for a while, a paper bag is the prefered option.

Goes for most food, IMHO.
The bags inside cereal packets do quite a good job for meat and cheese, which can sweat in clingfilm.

Anybody any good with mushrooms ? - henry k
>> If you need to keep fungi in a bag for a while, a paper bag is the prefered option.
>>
Certainly in Waitrose plastic bags are there for all vegetables except loose mushrooms which have a supply of paper bags.

Some more info.
www.wisegeek.com/how-do-you-store-mushrooms.htm
yup, mushrooms in a plastic bag for more than 48 hours = mush.
OK, it is obviously mushroom season a Le Jardins Botaniques du Borasport, as we have seen two new species this week - any clues ?

tinyurl.com/32sqdtl

and

tinyurl.com/35yl4ss

p.s, I'm not even thinking about eating these
 Anybody any good with mushrooms ? - corax
>> tinyurl.com/32sqdtl

Well, according to my book that is Puff-ball - 'edible when they are young and unripe, when they are still white inside.. Very tasty and give excellent flavour to soups'.

>> tinyurl.com/35yl4ss

Ugh! Are you sure that's not something else (in the words of Baldrick 'like a turnip thats grown into a rude and amusing shape'):-) Seriously, that may be Tricholoma portentosum, both excellent edible and delicious mushrooms. 'Flesh has the pleasant smell of freshly milled flour. Care must be taken to avoid confusing it with Death Cap'.

Don't take my word for it though. I do not want to be blamed for the gruesome death of a computer forum user!
Last edited by: corax on Tue 10 Aug 10 at 19:25
The one corax thinks is a puff-ball is not what I recall a puff-ball being like.

AFAIR they are round with no stalk to speak of, pretty much pure white when young/small, and not scaly.

Sliced through it is solid white all the way.

Just say no, unless you can find somebody who _really_ knows, and will come and look at them, touch and smell them, and see where they came from.

Latest Forum Posts