Non-motoring > New street lights. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 13

New street lights. - Old Navy
We had new heads fitted to our street lights this morning. They have changed from orange sodium lights to a compact fluorescent white light. It will be I interesting to see how effective they are. I am surprised that the council did not go for LED lights, I have seen them abroad and they are very effective. Probably down to initial cost.

This is the new light fitting.

www.thornlighting.co.uk/en-gb/products/outdoor-lighting/street-lighting/Celest
 New street lights. - Bromptonaut
Interesting.

The Parish Council here are consulting on and working up to a proposition for conversion of all street lighting in the village to new white lights with outputs that can be reduced in the quiet hours after midnight. Cost will be around £30,000 but will generate significant saving on the current £9,000 annual bill for electricity and maintenance. The upfront cost will be paid via a loan from sources available to English Parish Councils.

According to minutes the intention is to go for something called PLL which is half the price of current LED technology but with similar savings.

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 10 May 16 at 11:47
Our new lights use TC-L lamps, I don't know how many watts they are.

www.schrack.com/shop/tc-l-55w-840-2g11-coolwhite-compact-fluorescent-lamp-li62550005.html
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 10 May 16 at 12:28
Just had a chat with the guys replacing our lights, they are fitted with 36 watt lamps. Apparently they are much brighter than the sodium lights they have replaced and the old (is that me?) folk like them as they feel more secure, the youngsters don't as they are more easily seen when they are up to no good. The sparky said they have very few damaged as the head unit is very tough. Not that I live in that sort of area. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 10 May 16 at 13:16
As I think the new lights area successful upgrade I must be in the old category. The light they produce (cool white) gives a more natural look and colours are also more accurate. It is odd having a white glow through the windows at night after the years of orange sodium light but all round an improvement. This is being done as part of the Council's Green project and to save a few quid on electricity. The West Fife roads depot have 70,000 ish lights to change, it will take a while to recover the cost of them.
 New street lights. - CGNorwich
Actually sodium vapour lamps, especially the low pressure ones, are very economical in terms of energy use and I doubt if the council will save any money that way. Interesting comparison here of the various forms of street lighting.

www.grahlighting.eu/learning-centre/street-lighting-technology-comparison
I am sure this LED lighting company is totally impartial. :-)
 New street lights. - Cliff Pope
No one will ever again look down from an upstairs window and sadly remark "The lamps are going out all over Europe. We shall not see them lit again in our lifetime".

"Britain risks running out of energy generating capacity"

said energy regulator Ofgen, won't go down in history.
>> No one will ever again look down from an upstairs window and sadly remark "The
>> lamps are going out all over Europe. We shall not see them lit again in
>> our lifetime".

It should be OK for my lifetime, the younger generation :-) are running the country, best they sort it out and build something more reliable than windmills.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 11 May 16 at 15:47
>> I am sure this LED lighting company is totally impartial. :-)
>>

What you think sodium vapour lamps are even more efficient than their figures show?
We all know the history of efficiency and consumption figures. :-)
You've lost me ON. I was merely making the observation that the old sodium vapour lamps were very efficient. In terms of lumens were watt they were more efficient than LEDs. Of course they had other disadvantages not least the colour of the light.
Don't worry CGN, it is just me exceeding my intelligence. :-)
 New street lights. - mikeyb
We are being upgraded to LED lights. Council are claiming that they are so much cheaper to run / maintain that they will now just be able to dim them in the small hours rather than switch them off as they do today
Latest Forum Posts