Non-motoring > International Connecting Flights Via Paris Miscellaneous
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 16

International Connecting Flights Via Paris - rtj70
If one was to fly from say Manchester to an African country via Paris, would one expect to have to clear security again in Paris for the second flight? And would you get your luggage back to check it in again?

This is an Air France flight but the Manchester to Paris one would be FlyBE. Might be Air France or KLM from Paris.

I ask because our youngest has a trip planned and the flight to Paris arrives one evening and the Africa bound flight is the next morning. So would you be expected to stay air side or do you leave and check-in again the next morning?

Ta. I know someone like Mark will probably be able to advise.
 International Connecting Flights Via Paris - legacylad
Have you looked at routing with KLM via AMS... They may not do that route, but departing from LBA on the 06:15 flight as I do, I can get to the West Coast by late afternoon with two changes, taking into account the 8 hour time difference, although probably no time difference flying to Africa.
There is both a Premier Inn & Travelodge literally minutes from LBA, perfect for early morning flights.
I fly KLM/ Delta alliance, no need to check bags at AMS, simply collect and recheck bag at point of entry into USA
 International Connecting Flights Via Paris - WillDeBeest
If one was to fly from say Manchester to an African country via Paris, would one expect to have to clear security again in Paris for the second flight?

Yes

And would you get your luggage back to check it in again?

No

I flew AF LHR-CDG-SCL on my second trip to Chile. (The long flight is AF's longest and the service was fantastic.) I had to re-clear my cabin bag at CDG but my case went straight through.

Bags can be checked through for a flight the following day, even from one airline to another. I've had airlines do it for me and gone to my stopover hotel with just my cabin bag.
 International Connecting Flights Via Paris - Alastairw
Assuming the luggage is 'checked through' he will only see his bags in Manchester and, hopefully at his destination. This was certainly the case when my then wife flew to LA from Manchester via Paris.
I've done Manchester to San Fransisco via JFK before now. And Manchester to Vancouver via Toronto. But both times I had to clear immigration/pass port control on entry to USA/Canada and did get bags back to check-in again (did for Canada not sure about SFO) on the way out.

He's already booked his tickets but I was wondering about the stop-over in Paris. It's EU and the stop over is 19 hours.
RTJ, three of us have given you the right answer. Why are you still wittering about JFK and YYZ? We've done North America too and know the rules there, so if the same applied at EU hubs don't you think we'd have told you?

Claim and recheck is a customs requirement over there, not a security one. The EU has an internal customs union so there's no need for it here.
 International Connecting Flights Via Paris - Kevin
Really depends on how it's been booked.

If it has been booked as a single journey ticket the luggage will be checked through to destination and transferred automatically from one flight to the other in Paris. If it's been booked as two separate tickets he may have to collect luggage and check in again.

If he leaves the airport in Paris he will just need a boarding card and passport to go through security again although he might be asked why he did so.

On flights into the US with onward connections it's always been pretty common to collect your luggage at the point of entry and pass through customs, although not always. If so, there will usually be a luggage drop just after customs , no need to check in again.
Last edited by: Kevin on Wed 27 Apr 16 at 22:55
Thanks all for answers.
Sorry rtj, didn't realise tickets had been booked. Planned ( in my simple world) means not booked. Just planned.
I avoid CDG at all costs, but being old( ish) I've become a creature of habit!
Hope all goes smoothly
LL sorry I did say planned and not booked. I should have said booked. To do as one stop from Manchester it's either Air France via Paris, Turkish Airlines via Istanbul (not on the way at all) or Brussels Airlines via Brussels.

Destination is Cameroon.
 International Connecting Flights Via Paris - Dulwich Estate II
Thankfully nobody here said 'prebooked' and 'preplanned'.

This modern way is peculiar - how does one book before booking, and plan before planning.

Thank you for your patience.
 International Connecting Flights Via Paris - Ian (Cape Town)
Ensure that there is sufficient time to move through the airport.
Last time I went via Paris it was a major trek from arrival to longhaul departures.
Yes, good point, although it's not as bad as FRA, where you need a bike, or MAD, where I almost got lost between flights. It's complicated by needing separate Schengen and non-Schengen gates, and of course the Schengen ones are more conveniently situated. And the new F gate area is beautiful. AMS is an easier hub airport but if you want to go to Cameroon, Paris is a sound choice.
>> Ensure that there is sufficient time to move through the airport.

Will 19 hours be enough time ;-)
Depends if he gets lucky in Paris...
 International Connecting Flights Via Paris - No FM2R
His baggage depends on how it has been booked.

If it is a single ticket/booking, then he should be issued with two boarding passes and his baggage checked through.

Assuming he is not undergoing any immigration checks in the UK then he will not be in transit and he will be free to leave and re-enter the airport if he wishes. He will neither be prevented nor forced. I am assuming he is an EU citizen. If he is not then he would not be able to leave airside without any required visa.

If he has been booked on two separate tickets then it will depend on which airlines and what level of agreement exists between them. There could be any combination of possibilities, and you have little option but to ring them and ask.

[p.s. not had time to read the whole thread carefully, sorry if I repeated something or missed something]
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 28 Apr 16 at 14:47
If you price a ticket from MAN to DLA (Douala) on airfrance.com, the MAN-CDG segment is on Flybe, so there will be a mechanism to through-check bags. Unless you've bought two separate tickets, which seems unlikely, you'll have no problem. As NoFM says, a phone call will tell you for certain.

In the unlikely event that he does have to claim and re-check, AF says it will accept baggage at CDG, for any destination except Tel Aviv, for check-in from 30 hours before departure. Only between 1630 and 2030, which would leave plenty of time to get out to a hotel for the night.
Latest Forum Posts