Non-motoring > Happy St. George's Day. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 36

Happy St. George's Day. - Roger.
To all forum members.
(Including the Internationalists) :-)
 Happy St. George's Day. - Haywain
St George?

Sorry, Rog, but St Edmund is the Patron Saint of England. November 20th is the date you're looking for.

;-)
 Happy St. George's Day. - R.P.
St George was a bit of an internationalist being Greek !
 Happy St. George's Day. - NortonES2
Or Greek speaking Syrian possibly Turk), soldiering for the Romans. Later residing in Palestine. An icon of Englishness. Yer original Patron Saint of England was St Edmund until deposed by Edward III. I prefer the original. Surprised UKIP don't campaign for him. He was slain by a Dane. All in-house as it were.
Last edited by: NortonES2 on Sat 23 Apr 16 at 09:06
 Happy St. George's Day. - Dog
>>Yer original Patron Saint of England was St Edmund. He was slain by a Dane.

On the orders of Ivar the Boneless and his brother Ubba.

8-)

I blame Ragnar Lothbrok.
I live in Cornwall so 'our' patron saint is St Piran but, Happy St. Georgius Day anyway :)
Last edited by: Dog on Sat 23 Apr 16 at 08:53
 Happy St. George's Day. - Cliff Pope
It's quite a new idea this celebration of St George's day. I think it was mainly a church thing.
When I was younger the days that seemed to be significant were Trafalgar Day, Empire Day, Founders' Day and Armistice Day.

But I don't go in for flag-waving. It's either pretentious or proletarian on anything much smaller than Chatsworth. :)
 Happy St. George's Day. - No FM2R
Oh Rodgy, St George was a foreigner, you really need to study a bit more before posting.
Did you REALLY think, that as a child of the days of formal schooling, I did not know that?
You just never can miss an opportunity to snipe, can you?
 Happy St. George's Day. - No FM2R
>>Did you REALLY think, that as a child of the days of formal schooling, I did not know that?

Yes. Still do.
Yes - I knew I'd be open to the Greek bit. NO - not like that you dirty minded lot!

It's about time the English had a more developed sense of national identity and pride not connected to sporting events.
The Scots, Irish and Welsh have it and celebrate their Saints' days, so why not should we English?

Happy St. George's Day. - Runfer D'Hills
You might have a bit of a problem deciding on a national costume, you could I suppose all dress up as Morris dancers !
Brown suit, trousers tied at ankle level with string, brown boots, a flat hat and a whippet to heel?

(That, apart from the whippet, was the garb of the grandad at the wedding before ours at Sheffield registry office in 1969! Oh, the bride was about 9 months pregnant too).
My new wife's aunt, a sprightly and delightful old lady nearly collapsed with laughter.
Ooooh. Moorish influences wouldn't go down well with the patriotic party.
Or 3/4 length trousers and a football shirt stretched over a beer gut, that seems to be a popular look with the avidly "English"

;-)
>>3/4 length trousers and a football shirt stretched over a beer gut, that seems to be a popular look with the avidly "English"

Better than being known as mean, miserly, bad-tempered, and a bit too fond of food and drink.
You'll even have tartan carpets in the lounge and dining room I'll wager.

;-}
Oddly enough, no. Although it does sound very tasteful...

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 23 Apr 16 at 11:46
My favourite TV program is Escape to the Country, in fact it's the only prog I watch these days believe it or not.

I've noticed tartan carpet in a fair few Scottish homes over the years. I'd rather have laminate, and that's bad enough.

8-)
 Happy St. George's Day. - CGNorwich
"so why not should we English?"

Because the very essence of Englishness is not celebrating it. National holidays and flag waving is what other countries do. If you don't understand that you don't really understand Englishness.
Arguably, and yes I more than accept it is arguably, but England is technically not a country anyway, it's just a region of of Britain. To qualify as a country apparently you have to have an autonomous parliament which unlike Scotand, Wales and Northern Ireland, you don't.

Bummer eh?

;-))
 Happy St. George's Day. - Focusless
I've got just the thing for you Roger:
www.trinityband.co.uk/st-georges-day-concert/

Including Jerusalem, Sea Songs, Nimrod, Jupiter, finishing with a bit of Pomp & Circumstance - all the favourites. Bring along your flags to wave :)
I haven't watched the clip yet, but if it really is what it says -- bring it on!
>> I haven't watched the clip yet, but if it really is what it says --
>> bring it on!

Sorry - it's a concert being performed by the band I play in, this evening, in Wokingham. But it will be very good! We'd be very happy to see you there, although I suspect it's just a bit out of your way :(
I shall be with you in spirit!
 Happy St. George's Day. - Robin O'Reliant
Did St George actually exist? Most of them might not have.
Must have done, or else there would be dragons everywhere.

;-)
 Happy St. George's Day. - Robin O'Reliant
>> Must have done, or else there would be dragons everywhere.
>>
>> ;-)
>>
Having had two mother in laws I can confirm they're still about.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Sat 23 Apr 16 at 14:14
 Happy St. George's Day. - Armel Coussine
St George was a Palestinian Christian of Greek extraction.

He is patron saint of Gozo, my mother's place of origin.

Best wishes Giorgio old fruit.

NB: There seems to be no historical record of an actual dragon. Pity really.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 23 Apr 16 at 14:48
 Happy St. George's Day. - Alanovich
Also patron saint of Moscow, and, of course Georgia (the country, not the hick state over the pond), and my mother-in-law's Slavonian family - every Serb family has a patron saint, and they celebrate the saint's day with a large feast involving all the family, lots of roasted meat and flagons of boozes. My father-in-law's saint's day is Halloween, which is quite appropriate for him.

So I'm entirely happy to celebrate George's day, as a symbol of international understanding and friendship. Jolly good of the English to pick him as their saint, one might say it's fitting for such a tolerant, outward looking, internationalist, inclusive, open minded people.
 Happy St. George's Day. - CGNorwich
He is also the patron saint of Malta and Gozo, Portugal and Romania so their nationals will be pleased to join in the celebrations.
 Happy St. George's Day. - R.P.
So a true Internationalists....good commentary Al.
 Happy St. George's Day. - Armel Coussine
>> it's fitting for such a tolerant, outward looking, internationalist, inclusive, open minded people.

Heh heh, smarm smarm... not laying it on a bit too thick on purpose are you Al? A lot of people are made impatient by British smugness.

Anyway St George and his cross are my emblems at least three times by different routes. He mah man, yessirree!
www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/ill-be-supporting-turkey-in-euro-2016-says-st-george-20160609109423
 Happy St. George's Day. - Alanovich
Snigger. I expect he will put St Edmund to the sword (again) on the terraces.

:-)
 Happy St. George's Day. - Haywain
"Snigger. I expect he will put St Edmund to the sword (again) on the terraces."

Wouldn't surprise me at all, what with St Edmund's mind being on the rebuilding of his clubhouse and St Jamie being distracted by £££s being waved under his nose by the wretched a***nal.

;-)
Latest Forum Posts