Non-motoring > That Friday feeling Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 38

That Friday feeling - Runfer D'Hills
I know that for many here the days of the week are all much the same and you are at leisure to do with them as you will. But do you still get that Friday feeling anyway? That sense of anticipation of a couple of days off, the Crackerjack moment of the beginning of the weekend?

I do, but then I still have to work. I love my weekends and always try to pack them full of fun or interesting stuff. Not that I hate the rest of the week but whoever invented weekends should probably have been sainted by now!

We've a family party tomorrow and we'll be up in the hills on our bikes on Sunday, punctuated by some good food interludes and plenty of other fresh air activities.

TGIF !

;-)
 That Friday feeling - John Boy
When you're retired you look forward to the week because you can go out and do things without everyone else being there - except for school holidays of course.
:-)
 That Friday feeling - Dog
>>When you're retired you look forward to the week because you can go out and do things without everyone else being there - except for school holidays of course.

Howl right you are JB.!
 That Friday feeling - sherlock47
>>>I know that for many here the days of the week are all much the same and you are at leisure to do with them as you will. <<<

I suspect that many on here do not even know what day of the week it actually is! :)

However shortly I am off to the village Cave a Vin followed by a tasting at a local wine domaine. It must be Friday.
>> I suspect that many on here do not even know what day of the week it actually is! :)
>>
I do. It's Saturday tomorrow and I'll have to get up early to do the shopping before the hordes arrive.
:-)
 That Friday feeling - Haywain
"I suspect that many on here do not even know what day of the week it actually is!"

Of course I do, today's the day I meet my mateys in town for a cup of coffee.
 That Friday feeling - Robin O'Reliant
Three hours in the morning, home by ten and then I've finished for the week.
 That Friday feeling - martin aston
Been (early) retired for a couple of years. Still enjoy Friday's because that's pub night with the remaining wage slaves. One odd thing about retirement is you don't actually get a day off work. It's a funny feeling at first having time in its own right rather than as an escape from work!
Best night is Sunday as, when I was working, it was when work thought came to the fore again. Now it's an evening I can enjoy.
 That Friday feeling - Ambo
>>One odd thing about retirement is you don't actually get a day off work.

That's right! As a teacher, I had a strong sense of vacation and have felt this same deprivation since taking early retirement 26 years ago.
Those of you who are retired but hopefully in good health, do you find enough to occupy your days or do you get bored at all? I get so little free time that when I do I'm perhaps ironically, very busy trying to fit in all the things I want to do that aren't work !
 That Friday feeling - bathtub tom
>> Those of you who are retired but hopefully in good health, do you find enough
>> to occupy your days or do you get bored at all?

Jobs expand to fill the time available.

When I retired, I got a little job for two days a week that wound me down nicely for a few years.

When I left that I volunteered for a museum, but I'm now down to one day a week (and occasional Sundays) so I can get some decorating done (slowly).
 That Friday feeling - Dog
>>Those of you who are retired but hopefully in good health, do you find enough to occupy your days or do you get bored at all?

I'm up before 6am most mornings. I do all the cooking here, make my own bread, even make a cake every week :o)

I'm a hands-on merchant and wouldn't dream of paying someone to do a job that I can do, so, with a 3 bed 200 year-old cottage, there's always something needing attention.

I also have 2 large dogs. One 9 months old and the other 13 months old and boy do they keep me occupied!!

Boredom is a state of mind of course, and it is I who is in control of it, not it me
 That Friday feeling - BobbyG
Know what you mean Humph - have had a particularly hectic period of work lately between end of year stocktakes, annual reports and board meetings, and manager reviews.
Every day this week has started with a 6.30 rise, home about 8 ish, dinner and then back onto the laptop.

Just been out the back for a couple of beers, chopped some wood and had a wee fire going for a couple of hours.

Brother and his missus are up for the weekend so a wee family get together on Sat night, back at work on Sunday morning and then my sisters 50th birthday party BBQ for rest of day!

Looking forward to it! And no alarm clocks!
 That Friday feeling - Alastairw
What I want to know is why, when they have had all week to shop, pensioners insist on going to Sainsburys on Saturday, getting in my way.

Similarly, when they have had all day to travel, why are they all on the bus in the rush hour.
 That Friday feeling - WillDeBeest
They've been on it all day, because (a) it's warm, and (b) they've forgotten where to get off.
What are you doing on a bus Alastair? They're for the 'Others' aren't they?

;-)
Chap needs a pint or three after work. Only proper to use public transport when one has had a few. Free Wi-Fi too :)
Ah, it's a business class bus then?

Fair enough.

;-)
 That Friday feeling - rtj70
>> Similarly, when they have had all day to travel, why are they all on the bus in the rush hour.

Surely they don't - they don't get free travel until it's off peak :-)
Only applies in the morning peak. Hence the nickname 'twirly', for their habit of boarding just before 9.30 am and asking the driver 'Am I too early?'
 That Friday feeling - Old Navy
>> Only applies in the morning peak. Hence the nickname 'twirly', for their habit of boarding
>> just before 9.30 am and asking the driver 'Am I too early?'
>>

How primitive, I believe our bus passes work 24/7, I will have to find out if mine works one day. :-)
 That Friday feeling - Focal Point
In Hertfordshire, senior bus passes are valid 24/7 and journeys commenced in the rush hour may be completed (even if still in the rush hour) in Bedfordshire.

Very handy for getting to the station in time for the first off-peak train to London (just after 9:30), the train ticket rendered even cheaper by the use of your senior railcard.

We destitute pensioners need all the help we can get.
Last edited by: Focal Point on Sat 23 Apr 16 at 12:22
 That Friday feeling - Clk Sec
Will may be along shortly...
Although our bus passes work throughout Scotland Mrs ON informs me that advance booking is required on busy tourist routes. Extra buses are put on if required. She occaisionally uses these routes when gallivanting with the local marauding grannies.
 That Friday feeling - Duncan
>> Mrs ON

Is she English, as well?
Yes from London, we both originate from the same area.
 That Friday feeling - Skip
>> What I want to know is why, when they have had all week to shop,
>> pensioners insist on going to Sainsburys on Saturday, getting in my way.

I agree with you there.
 That Friday feeling - CGNorwich
What you mean people are just going to the shops when they feel like it? What do they think this is a free country?
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sat 23 Apr 16 at 08:12
 That Friday feeling - sooty123
>> What I want to know is why, when they have had all week to shop,
>> pensioners insist on going to Sainsburys on Saturday, getting in my way.

Being retired means not being in a rush. An extra bit of time to go shopping is neither here nor there.
>> What I want to know is why, when they have had all week to shop, pensioners insist on going to Sainsburys on Saturday, getting in my way.

Not me. If I need to shop on a Saturday, I get up early to avoid you. You're the "hordes" I was referring to above.
 That Friday feeling - Focal Point
"Those of you who are retired but hopefully in good health, do you find enough to occupy your days or do you get bored at all?"

I would probably "drift" badly without some form of focus and I went back to university in 2012 to do a Master's part-time. I liked it so much I have stayed on to do a PGR (post-graduate research) course, again part-time.

I am a hands-on landlord, which fortunately takes up little of my time. I keep my DIY skills going with a project here and there. I should do more gardening than I get around to. I have a daughter in Newcastle who is expecting her first child in July; a son and grandson in Leeds and an elderly aunt in Cornwall. My wife's family live in Wrocław, Poland. We try to visit all these locations at least once a year - twice for some. In addition, my other son performs a lot on the continent and we try to support him when we can.

To return to Humph's question: "...do you find enough to occupy your days or do you get bored at all?"

Er... Hard one to answer, Humph.
Last edited by: Focal Point on Sat 23 Apr 16 at 10:36
 That Friday feeling - Cliff Pope

>>
>> I suspect that many on here do not even know what day of the week
>> it actually is! :)

I've been retiring gradually, by one day a week, for the last five years.
When I had a 3-day weekend my mental map of the week's progress was still intact, just with longer weekends. Then when I was down to working 3 days a week I spaced them out, and the map collapsed completely, and all days felt like Friday. So it went on.

But now working only about one day per month, or as required, the week has reverted to its normal 5 days on two days off, because the dominant things now are children's college weeks, shopping days, and the extra-thick newspaper bundle on Saturday.
 That Friday feeling - WillDeBeest
...and the extra-thick newspaper bundle on Saturday.

You have a paper round, Cliff?
I suppose I'm quite lucky in that most of the time my work doesn't really feel all that much like work. I spend most of my time travelling about, meeting mainly pleasant people to discuss a subject we are both interested in and doing a bit of business as a result.

I still treasure my leisure though and try to make the most of any free time I have. You're a long time dead as they say.
 That Friday feeling - legacylad
Similar to when I was 'in trade'. Long hours 6 days a week, but time flew by. Selling stuff I was interested in, to mainly nice people, and normally efficient friendly reps.
Very few downsides (, thieving staff) but that aside I felt very lucky.
 That Friday feeling - Armel Coussine
A huge but discreet cobbler's ledger
Has the figures for shoes made to measure;
If the price on the last
Leaves you weak and aghast,
Go barefoot when you treasure your leisure.

(William Shakespeare)
 That Friday feeling - R.P.
Well Friday was busy. Not working - the Webex meeting (see computers) in the morning and that took an hour, off afterwards off to the local Builders' Merchants to get some Kiln dried sand, and some other odds and ends..then lunch at the local Garden Centre. Then it was an afternoon of various gardening tasks including brushing the sand into the block paving after my wife had jet-washed them the day before. Some small gardening tasks undertaken including planting a few replacement hedging plants. Two or three out of the 150 odd planted last year had failed. Not a bad result, even the left overs survived the wet and windy winter in their pots. Today was walkies in the woods this morning then diverted to waxoil underneath the in-laws' Ka. Minor pottering this afternoon a cold beer in a minute...
 That Friday feeling - legacylad
Bit late RP
Some of us were in the beer garden at 3:30
I think Friday was a few days ago
 That Friday feeling - Ted

Finished off the new guest bedroom this morning. Just a few minor jobs, new light switch, door handle, picture to put up, etc. had to take nearly an inch off the door yesterday to accomodate the new carpet and underlay. Made me sandwiches and drink at 1230 and brought them up to the PC to watch City thrump Stoke on a 1245 kick-off.

Lazed around 'til dinner at 1900 then watched a few 'Dinnerladies' until the Shakespeare program at 2030.

Washed up and came back up to watch 'Match of the Day ' in a few minutes.
Latest Forum Posts