Non-motoring > My commute. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 12

My commute. - Old Navy
This is one of the helicopter routes that I used frequently over a five year period. Not so much of a view in bad weather. You can see across the island of Rassay to Skye in the distance.

www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/lifestyle/outdoors/107789/paramotor-tour-bealach-na-ba-applecross/
 My commute. - stan10
Almost like therapy watching this, i enjoyed playing "watch my shadow", especially when it was tiny. If this was my commute i would be tempted to move a bit further away, to prolong the journey ! Wimbledon to Wembley for a 9am start ? - eat your heart out.

Stunning views in that weather, perhaps not so enticing in December ?

I was lucky, only once, to have a helicopter flight, great experience, should be on everyone's "to do" list.

Funny, i get the heebie jeebies on a tall building, or even driving over a high bridge, but in the 'copter, and a parasail i did once, and also light aircraft, never a twitch. Still got a parachute jump on my list (ego says solo, common sense means probably tandem)
 My commute. - Old Navy
It can be fun when the visibility goes and the pilot is flying low and slow along the road for a passing place to land in. In a strong westerly wind (gale) we would fly north up the west side of Rassay (a long way round) as the wind tumbling off the island gave severe turbulence on the eastern side. Surprising what you pick up over the years.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 21 Apr 16 at 18:58
 My commute. - Old Navy
If anyone is interested I worked at these locations for a few days several times a month, when submarines were present.

www.secretscotland.org.uk/index.php/Secrets/RonaNoiseRange
 My commute. - Runfer D'Hills
When I was a child, I don't know really, maybe 10 years old or so, my parents had rented a cottage somewhere on the banks of the Gare Loch. My constant companion back then was a Golden Retriever called William. My parents had gone out for the day and I was fishing somewhere on the loch banks with William playing about nearby.

Anyway, some hours had passed and we had seen no one other than a family of otters. A couple of fish had been caught but William ate those.

Just then a submarine surfaced. Apparently only feet from us, but probably further, nonetheless in clear sight. A thrilling experience for a small boy and his dog.

Given that you are, erm, a wee bit older than me ON, it might just be that you were one of the guys who emerged onto the deck...

My commute. - Old Navy
Unlikely to be me, the Polaris boats did not dive in the Gareloch. Unless you are talking pre 1966, I was in Australia from 67 to 69 then Polaris. Submarines need more depth of water to float than there is 10' off the beach! :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 21 Apr 16 at 20:25
Might have been around '66 come to think. Not that it matters. Just a memory.

;-)
 My commute. - Old Navy
This is the budgie.

youtu.be/PeadRL1BydU
 My commute. - Old Navy
There were still diesel submarines at Faslane in '66, they would sometimes dive in the Loch.
Maybe it was one of those, I was 8 so perhaps not all that clued !

;-)
 My commute. - Alastairw
Same for me Stan. I hate ladders, but enjoyed a flight in a light aircraft (Piper Cherokee as I recall). The gf and I both want to parachute at some point - maybe time for a C4P sponsored event?
 My commute. - Pat
>>maybe time for a C4P sponsored event?<<

You can count me out!

Pat
 My commute. - Clk Sec
>>maybe time for a C4P sponsored event?

That's a good idea. You can count me in.
Latest Forum Posts