Non-motoring > Making sense of chaos and mass murder Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 9

Making sense of chaos and mass murder - Armel Coussine
Things move fast, and confusingly, in today's Middle East, but Patrick Cockburn's The Rise of Islamic State (Verso, 2015), which I have just read, gives a detailed account of events in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Turkey and Egypt among other places.

Cockburn is a knowledgeable (and I must say, intrepid) journalist and writer who has covered the region for some years. He copes brilliantly with a very convoluted tribal, ethnic and 'confessional' picture.

Amusing it certainly isn't: it's a grim, grim narrative that recounts often horrible events, with no end in sight. But I would recommend it to anyone interested and not too easily upset.
 Making sense of chaos and mass murder - Old Navy
It will be a good insight into what is coming in our direction.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3547216/ISIS-plan-carry-tourist-massacre-using-bombs-buried-sun-beds-assassins-disguised-beach-ice-cream-sellers-warn-Italian-intelligence-chiefs.html
 Making sense of chaos and mass murder - Falkirk Bairn
I'd be more worried about some nuclear source (old warheads, old medical radiation equipment for example) being placed somewhere in the middle of a City with plastic explosives to "detonate a dirty bomb".

IRA fertiliser bombs caused many lives to be lost and utter destruction of the immediate area. Sadly lives were lost but rebuilding was a 2 year programme - add radiation to the bombs and it could well be a no go area for generations.
 Making sense of chaos and mass murder - madf
"Sadly lives were lost but rebuilding was a 2 year programme - add radiation to the bombs and it could well be a no go area for generations."

Unlikely. See Japan.
 Making sense of chaos and mass murder - Old Navy
No problem, we could borrow Runfer's pressure washer.
 Making sense of chaos and mass murder - CGNorwich
It is highly unlikely that a "dirty" bomb would actually kill anyone other than from the effects of the explosion.

Radioactive contamination could certainly be cleared so the effects would not last for generations. The main effect would be fear and panic.

Making sense of chaos and mass murder - sooty123
Interested what makes you think that?
 Making sense of chaos and mass murder - CGNorwich
Here's an assessment by experts.

www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/fact-sheets/fs-dirty-bombs.html
 Making sense of chaos and mass murder - sooty123
Thanks Very interesting.
 Making sense of chaos and mass murder - Dutchie
Does anybody still trust us in the Middle East after all the disastrous Western Policies?

Who can make any sense of the misery of people fleeing war zones chaos and murder.I can't.
Latest Forum Posts