Non-motoring > What's wrong with calling a spade a spade? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 18

What's wrong with calling a spade a spade? - Armel Coussine
I am irritated by the term 'sex worker' which is fashionable at the moment. There's nothing wrong with politely calling a thing by its name, prostitute or tart for example. Sex worker is somehow over-genteel and evasive.

I said 'politely'. When these terms are used unkindly or spitefully most people recognize it. As always, intention is 90% of communication.
 What's wrong with calling a spade a spade? - Focusless
Is it because prostitution is a criminal activity, but what she has been doing (dominatrix I think I read) isn't in itself illegal?
Last edited by: Focusless on Wed 13 Apr 16 at 19:15
 What's wrong with calling a spade a spade? - spamcan61
>> Is it because prostitution is a criminal activity, but what she has been doing (dominatrix
>> I think I read) isn't in itself illegal?
>>

Prostitution itself isn't actually illegal in the UK. Living off immoral earnings is illegal, running a brothel is illegal, having sex in return for money isn't.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Wed 13 Apr 16 at 19:25
 What's wrong with calling a spade a spade? - Dutchie
Prostitute,sexworker sounds daft who decides to change the names for a old profession?

And a pimp is a pimp.If you had proper regulate brothels and they pay their taxes we all benefit.

Massage parlour is the flavour with extras' if you want it.

What's wrong with calling a spade a spade? - Robin O'Reliant
>> >>
>> Massage parlour is the flavour with extras' if you want it.
>>
>>
>>
Is that from experience, Dutchie? ;-)
 What's wrong with calling a spade a spade? - Dog
>>Prostitution itself isn't actually illegal in the UK

Correct. Soliciting is against the law (didn't I tell yoos about them solicitors!)
 What's wrong with calling a spade a spade? - Armel Coussine
>> Correct. Soliciting is against the law

Ah yes... 'Business dear?'

Hard to think of a more forbidding, offputting expression.
>>Ah yes... 'Business dear?'

Reminds me of c1968 at late o'clock in the early hours of Saturday morn, walking down Wardour Street, ahead of my friends, Micky, Phil, Bootsy, Fitzy, and Kevin.

Three tarts hanging out of a first-floor window ... D'you want busyness mate, said they. I was in another land head wise, due to various substances. First time I'd, um, come across anything like that. I only earnt £11 pw back then as a 'dispatch clerk' in Beak St., and I certainly wasn't going to cross their palms with it.

I've often entertained the thought that it could have been fun though with all three of them (what's 3 x £25)

8-)

What's wrong with calling a spade a spade? - Alastairw
Generally, sexworkers, dominatrices etc do not have sex with their clients, and rather look down on old fashioned Street corner prostitutes.
Last edited by: Alastairw on Wed 13 Apr 16 at 21:14
 What's wrong with calling a spade a spade? - Pat
I can honestly say they are called neither of those names when they knock on lorry cab doors parked in Motorway Service areas at 1am asking if 'you want some company'.

I can also confirm the price has gone down since Dog's day as all they want is a tenner and on a really bad day a ciggie would be enough:)

Pat
>>the price has gone down since Dog's day

Course, I grabbed that figure out of thin air - 1968 is a lot of brain cells away.
Others here may recall what 'the going' rate actually was back then?
 What's wrong with calling a spade a spade? - Zero
>> I can honestly say they are called neither of those names when they knock on
>> lorry cab doors parked in Motorway Service areas at 1am asking if 'you want some
>> company'.

Tell them company would be nice, Invite them in saying you could have a chat about knitting patterns.
 What's wrong with calling a spade a spade? - VxFan
>> Invite them in saying you could have a chat about knitting patterns.

Or talk about the first thing that comes up.
 What's wrong with calling a spade a spade? - Dutchie
Funny..;)
I gave them a one word reply...it bean with B and ended in s:).....but once they saw a female draw the curtains they'd usually moved on to the next one before I could open the window!

Pat
 What's wrong with calling a spade a spade? - Haywain
"I gave them a one word reply"

Obvious question really, Pat, what do you say 5 minutes later when a bloke calls round?

;-)
 What's wrong with calling a spade a spade? - tyrednemotional
...I'm not over my hours..........honest!.......
I've never been that lucky in 30 years of sleeping in a lorry cab:)

Must remember that one Tyred, I live in hope!

PaT
 What's wrong with calling a spade a spade? - tyrednemotional
...given the gender ratio of lorry-drivers, the odds on you being lucky even if a bloke did happen to knock on the door would be pretty poor, I think.

;-)
Latest Forum Posts