Non-motoring > An operator Legal Questions
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 13

An operator - Armel Coussine
Can't remember where, but I did meet the big cannabis smuggler Howard Marks, whose entertaining obituary is in today's comic, a couple of times at least. He was an agreeable, amusing cat to meet. I didn't know him well.

What I do remember is the very variable quality of cannabis smuggled in 30-ton loads. You get a few very good quality Thai sticks, then there's a flood of more or less useless ones. Same applies to huge bales of grass - most of it will just give you a headache. The good stuff comes in dribs and drabs and there's never enough of it.

Crossing swords (or not) with CIA, Mafia, MI6 and the like must mean that Marks was very bright, a fast mover and alas none too honest. Pretty damn tough too I shouldn't wonder, but died young.

RIP I think, although some here will dance on his grave.
 An operator - John Boy
You might be interested in this, AC:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/36022345
LSD is a powerful hallucinogen that should be approached, if at all, very cautiously. It can affect some individuals very badly, dangerously even, and sometimes permanently.

If you are easily frightened or have a hysterical tendency it's best to avoid LSD altogether. Even experienced old druggers can be spooked by it if circumstances are against them.

People used to talk about having taken 'bad acid'. Most likely though they weren't in a suitable mood or setting (one very seldom is. Believe me, I've been there more than once).
 An operator - Ambo
I once met the worried mother of a chap who had experienced a bad trip with LSD and threw himself out of a high window. He was needed a long stay in Stoke Mandeville and I believe he never recovered fully from his injuries. I'm glad this didn't happen to you, A.C.
>> I'm glad this didn't happen to you, A.C.

Thank you ambo. So am I of course. But it wasn't going to happen to me because I am well-informed and have a bit of courage and self-control. I wasn't going to panic or freak out like your poor friend's unhappy son.
 An operator - Dutchie
How many stories are there about alcohol abuse or people dying of long cancer due to smoking.

I have never taken L.S.D.Smoked a good quality pot once or twice from a decent coffee shop.

You either take this stuff or you don't it is your life..
 An operator - Dog
>>People used to talk about having taken 'bad acid'. Most likely though they weren't in a suitable mood or setting (one very seldom is. Believe me, I've been there more than once).

I had a 'bad trip' back in the early 1970's and haven't touched the stuff since. I had previously had some 'good stuff' at Parliament Fields/Hyde Park concerts etc., so I know what 'good stuff' should be like - that's why drugs should be legalised (here we go again!) so they can be standardised and controlled.

Re: Marks ... I was checking out this film yesterday which is based-on his life. I've seen the film before, but I could do with another helping:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApzPnkrTI4c [Mr Nice UK trailer]
 An operator - Focusless
>> - that's why drugs should be legalised
>> (here we go again!) so they can be standardised and controlled.

Related story on BBC website today - sex rather than drugs:
www.bbc.com/news/uk-36026510
>> Re: Marks .

>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApzPnkrTI4c [Mr Nice UK trailer]

I said to Herself last night, a bit snootily: 'Ah yes, Mr Nice.'

She surprised me slightly by replying: 'He was nice actually.' I would have expected an air of disapproval. But she always did have unerring taste and insight.
 An operator - No FM2R
Of passing interest perhaps, Armel?

www.iflscience.com/brain/heres-how-lsd-kills-your-ego
 An operator - Dog
>>www.iflscience.com/brain/heres-how-lsd-kills-your-ego

An interesting article, followed by some equally as interesting comments.
 An operator - Boxsterboy
>> . Pretty damn tough too
>> I shouldn't wonder, but died young.
>>

Is 70 young, considering the cans is and other substances he doubtless consumed over decades?
>> Is 70 young, considering the cans is and other substances he doubtless consumed over decades?

Drugs don't shorten people's lives. Indeed cannabis is good for you, or would be if it didn't involve all that collateral tobacco smoking.

Old William Burroughs who had taken everything known to man and was a heroin addict for much of his life was still quite bushy-tailed in his 80s, up for a taste of anything.

If there's a drug that is bad for the body it's probably amphetamine, speed. LSD in a big trip will make you feel very tired, but speed will knacker you for a week if you do much of it.

It pays to be intelligent and have some self-discipline if you're planning to mess with drugs. The main enemies are greed and stupidity.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 12 Apr 16 at 17:54
 An operator - R.P.
He had quite a high profile in his native Wales and spoke well in both languages on his life experiences. He popped up at our local theatre with the guy who played him in the film.
Latest Forum Posts