Non-motoring > Mixed Feelings.. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: tyrednemotional Replies: 41

Mixed Feelings.. - tyrednemotional
Time for a haircut, but my usual barber is closed (possibly permanently) due to sickness.

I headed over into the next village to an establishment, staffed by two ladies of uncertain age, that I've used in the past.

Timed it well, and straight into the chair for a decent cut.

A bit of pleasant banter, and when finished I asked what the damage was.

Without any hesitation, I was charged Old Age Perisher's price - considerably less than the full price, and also less than I pay at my regular barber.

I'm not sure whether that is cause for :-) or :-(

;-)
 Mixed Feelings.. - Runfer D'Hills
Wouldn't worry, so long as they didn't hold the door open for you on the way out and invite you to mind how you go.

It's just that it's another sign of tempus fugiting. A bit like sports injuries not mending quickly or, mmm, being beaten at cycling by one's offspring.
 Mixed Feelings.. - Kevin
We changed hairdresser after the old place had upped the price to nearly £100 for the two of us.

Now have it done by at home by a very pleasant young lady who does a better job and charges less than half the price.
 Mixed Feelings.. - Dulwich Estate II
£12 in my neck of the woods.
 Mixed Feelings.. - legacylad
How much?
The Barber's Shop. Branches in Keighley & Skipton. £3.99 for a dry cut. Twice a year.
Four quid if you leave a tip, but they have the days papers to read. I can never understand why a bloke would pay someone to wash their hair.
It cost me £6.50, and though the quality of grumbling wasn't as good as my regular barber, I'll be content until he resumes (if).

If I were to go 6 months between cuts I'd look like a yeti (though some people might say.........)
 Mixed Feelings.. - WillDeBeest
£12 in my neck of the woods.
Do they do the palms of your hands too?

I can never understand why a bloke would pay someone else to wash their hair.
That rather depends on the someone else. Oh yes.

And LL didn't say he goes six months between cuts, only that he goes to Keighley twice a year. That's probably as often as he's close enough to Keighley to visit.
 Mixed Feelings.. - Zero
No3, £10, every two months.
 Mixed Feelings.. - Focusless
Had to pay £10 for mine, but it was a one-off payment:
www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2271796.htm
:)
 Mixed Feelings.. - R.P.
£6.00 is the norm around here - needs doing every couple of months.
 Mixed Feelings.. - Roger.
Free here. SWMBO does it and has for many years.

Our daughter was here recently and used our electric clippers the give a #3, which should also for three months.
 Mixed Feelings.. - VxFan
>> Free here.

Same here too. Bought one of those hair cutting thingies from QVC back in 1999 after the local mobile hair dresser finished working.

No.3 all over does me. Only thing it doesn't do is rub her ample chest all over my arms while cutting my hair ;)
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 12 Apr 16 at 10:20
....if she did that in 1999, she'd be rubbing your knees by now..... :-O
Bought one of those hair cutting thingies from QVC back in 1999...

...and 17 years later you're still single?
};---)
 Mixed Feelings.. - Zero
>> Bought one of those hair cutting thingies from QVC back in 1999...
>>
>> ...and 17 years later you're still single?
>> };---)

Because he shops at QVC.
 Mixed Feelings.. - VxFan
>> >> ...and 17 years later you're still single?

Not quite. one or two girls have come along, but were soon caught and readmitted ;)

>> Because he shops at QVC.

Not since 1999. I've only ever bought a couple of items from them.
 Mixed Feelings.. - Dog
£6!! - even my postie pays a whopping £10. I've not had a 'proper' haircut for 19 years.

I sweep it back, and occasionally hack the end orf with my clippers. But for the last few months I've sort-of tied the 'tail' up in an elastic band - the ole woman calls it a man bun :(

I should really chop the lot orf really - I'm 64 this year FFS!
 Mixed Feelings.. - Harleyman
>> £6!! - even my postie pays a whopping £10. I've not had a 'proper' haircut
>> for 19 years.
>>
>> I sweep it back, and occasionally hack the end orf with my clippers. But for
>> the last few months I've sort-of tied the 'tail' up in an elastic band -
>> the ole woman calls it a man bun :(
>>
>> I should really chop the lot orf really - I'm 64 this year FFS!
>>

I've heard it said that a ponytail on a man is pretty similar to the one on a horse; there's inevitably an a***-hole underneath it. ;-)
youtu.be/wgEoYa9jExE (Armstrong & Miller)
 Mixed Feelings.. - Crankcase
Cor lumme. I get away with £17 and think that's a bargain - most places here are £20 plus. You might squeeze £15 in one of the dodgier places in the backstreets, but they look like the whole thing is a front for something I don't need to know about and if you went in they'd have to spend twenty minutes looking for a pair of scissors.

Mine needs to be done about every four or five weeks to look even vaguely respectable.

Sometimes I wish had the barbering costs of a somewhat larger colleague, who has no hair. I can only assume his was burnt off in a fire that trapped him in a sweet shop.

Mixed Feelings.. - Bromptonaut
Working in London I was paying £25+ at a place called Blades. Proper wash and wet cut. When they started 30 yrs ago they were cheap by London standards but guess it was lawyers prices once they's made their name. Once or twice used another one off Chancery Lane made famous as place Horace Rumpole went for a proper shave with a cut throat.

Girl in village is around a tenner but really wants you to book in advance. Walk in place near Tesco same sort of price and if you pop in during working/school time there's almost no wait.

When it was thick and curly I could leave it months but now it's greyer/thinner about every four weeks or it looks messy.
I have mine cut twice a year, sometimes thrice if it's a particularly warm summer. Normally Feb/March after skiing, maybe June/July if warm, then a pre winter trim October. £12 for the year.
Keighley is only a 45 minute drive down the A65, Skipton 30 minutes, and I lived & worked in 'Griefley' for many years. Surprisingly it was a very busy shopping town years ago....a good mix of supermarkets including Sainsburys & Morrisons, an M&S, Focus, B&Q, busy indoor market, a well respected independent DIY and town centre multi storey parking adjacent to the Airedale Shopping Centre.
The arrival of Asda & Aldi changed the whole customer flow pattern, much to the detriment of the town centre.
I still shop in the Keighley Asda, and other stores, on a fortnightly basis with the 88 & 98 year olds!
Cheap shopping... Just place an order with one of the low life's and they'll nick it to order.
 Mixed Feelings.. - R.P.
I had a haircut on a Walmart in the US one year (not one ear)....I had to sign a disclaimer before they did it. Contrasted with a trim in Bar Harbor in 2008 where the cut was done by a retired guy who ran a traditional barber's as a hobby. No signature. $10.00 and a tip.
Nice one RP! Drove up there a few years ago from Boston on a leaf peeping trip mid October. 6 days leisurely driving staying in B & Bs, but a little too late in the season to get the best colors! Had to scrape ice off the windshield most mornings, and I still have my Acadia NPark baseball cap.
Which I don't wear back to front.
 Mixed Feelings.. - Dog
>>youtu.be/wgEoYa9jExE (Armstrong & Miller)

V'good and, I agree. It looks 'king awful!
 Mixed Feelings.. - Dog
>>I've heard it said that a ponytail on a man is pretty similar to the one on a horse; there's inevitably an a***-hole underneath it. ;-)

Put another record on Hm. ISTR you tapped that one out last time.

:}
 Mixed Feelings.. - Harleyman

>> Put another record on Hm. ISTR you tapped that one out last time.
>>
>> :}
>>

Probably. It's the only ponytail gag I know.
 Mixed Feelings.. - Alanovich
You can get a haircut here for as little as sick squid, at somewhere like Aliz Cutz in a less salubrious quarter of town, but I cough £12.50 at my local Turkish Barbers (slogan: You Will Feel Like A Star), full wash (before and after) and wet cut, and a real attention to detail with those proper paper neck bands, setting fire to the ear hair (oh yes they do), nice lemony colognes and all that jazz. Complimentary glass of sweet Turkish tea whilst waiting.

Last time I went, the boss man did my hair and evidently worked out my neck was a bit stiff (it has been for years, could hardly look over my right shoulder), and to my initial slight alarm grabbed my melon, cracking it in both directions quite loudly. Instantly fixed it.

I'm surprised there's so much interest in the subject on here, I'd have though the discussion would have turned more to the merits of Mr Sheen vs Pledge vs Aldi's version.

;-)
 Mixed Feelings.. - Dog
>> I cough £12.50 at my local Turkish Barbers

Sounds like a proper barbers to me. I'd have had a bath there too while I was there [I could do with one too!]
 Mixed Feelings.. - Alanovich
Yes, I've noticed a lot of blokes getting the full wet shave/hot towels treatment in there recently. I really don't ever remember seeing that until very recently. Don't have it myself (can't-be-bothered-to-shave-short-beard on face).
 Mixed Feelings.. - Dog
I meant a Turkish (hammam ) bath. I've never had one but my gf out in Spain had one and said it was 'delight'ful.
 Mixed Feelings.. - commerdriver
Public baths I worked in as a student (1973 & 1974) had a turkish baths so there was a Glasgow equivalent :-)
 Mixed Feelings.. - Haywain
"I cough £12.50 at my local Turkish Barbers"

Ever since I played in the band for the "Sweeney Todd Rock and Roll Show", I cannot stomach the thought of someone approaching my extended neck with a cut-throat razor.

I pay £7.90 on a Wednesday (pensioner rate) at my local barber and leave a quid tip.
 Mixed Feelings.. - Runfer D'Hills
Tenner here, but it's £4.50 five miles away. Mind you, they say you can get pretty much anything for a fiver there...
...no wonder your cars do a high mileage..........
 Mixed Feelings.. - Clk Sec
Free of charge in this house, courtesy of Mrs CS.
....now I'm confused. Are we still discussing haircuts......?
...Assuming CS hasn't listed his address in the Classifieds section, I think so.
 Mixed Feelings.. - Clk Sec
You're on form today, Will.
 Mixed Feelings.. - Ted

Free here too....usually done on the patio with an Argos trimmer kit. I get to goose the operator and the white trimmings are left for the wind and birds to attend to.

A number 2 or 3 does me fine...in fact I'm due one now but I've been in a lot of pain for a couple of weeks and on intravenous antibiotics every day so the coiffure has gone to the end of the schedule. Can't be doing with it tickling my ears ! Maybe by weekend !
 Mixed Feelings.. - commerdriver
If you've been in pain as long as a couple of weeks you really need a number 2 :-)
Latest Forum Posts