Non-motoring > BBC and radio drama Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 11

BBC and radio drama - R.P.
More than a mere soap - The Archers has been beautifully crafted for years, the acme of which for me was the broadcast last Sunday when the long running Domestic Violence story-line ended up in crescendo of violence and bloodshed....absolutely spot on.
 BBC and radio drama - sooty123
Now that's one thing i can't get my head around a soap on the radio. It doesn't work for me, quite possibly a lack of imagination on my part.
 BBC and radio drama - Robin O'Reliant
I avoid the Archers because I don't want to risk getting hooked on it. I do like the afternoon dramas at 2:15 though.
 BBC and radio drama - bathtub tom
>> I do like the afternoon dramas at 2:15 though.

They do put on some cracking good ones and the pictures are far better than the telly. I too like to listen to them when driving, but if I sit down at home and put one on it's guaranteed to send me to sleep.
 BBC and radio drama - R.P.
Best listened to when driving. When I was with the CAB at a quiet outreach I used to curse people turning in halfway though..
 BBC and radio drama - smokie
SWMBO is quite an avid Archers fan but has tuned out for the past couple of weeks as she found the storyline disturbing. I guess too close to real life then.
 BBC and radio drama - WillDeBeest
I'm a relative newcomer to The Archers, having been listening for only 35 years or so. I missed the Sunday night shocker but heard it mentioned on Today the next morning. Avoiding listening to the discussion, I hastily downloaded the episode through iPlayer Radio and played it in the car on the way to work.

Wow! Certainly not something best listened to while driving. I've made a bit of a joke of the Helen-Rob storyline at home, on account of Helen's gruesome record with Greg, Mike (New Year's Eve 2006, remember?) and for surviving the night in 2011 that accounted for Nigel when it really should have been her. But this scene was an extraordinary piece of radio - of acting in any medium. Hugely powerful and impressive, however we may carp about the improbable lead-up.
 BBC and radio drama - Manatee
What I can't understand (I am obviously confusing it with real life) is how the usually smart Pat has been taken in by the Robmonster. As if she had a brain transplant somewhere along the way.

I suppose that's how cyclepaths operate.
 BBC and radio drama - WillDeBeest
That's part of what I was getting at about the lead-up. Susan, of course, was taken in by a smooth exterior, but Pat? Or Peggy?

Then there's the night itself: make up your mind to leave your coercive husband, but decide to do it by cooking him a nice apple pie and custard (tuna bake has no place in anything 'nice') and plan to tell him afterwards. Meanwhile put the child you intend to leave with to bed and leave your own bag half-packed in the bedroom for husband to find. Makes no sense at all.
 BBC and radio drama - Armel Coussine
Not everyone will remember pre-TV mass entertainment. Cinema of course, but radio was on everywhere, all the time.

'Jock, Snowy, are you OK chaps?'

(Cough cough) 'Aye chief... ' Endless serials... I can remember the theme music from that series but oddly at the moment not its name.
 BBC and radio drama - Robin O'Reliant
>>>>
>> 'Jock, Snowy, are you OK chaps?'
>>
>> (Cough cough) 'Aye chief... ' Endless serials... I can remember the theme music from that
>> series but oddly at the moment not its name.
>>

Dick Barton.
 BBC and radio drama - Armel Coussine
Thank you Robin... 'Special Agent' he was.
Latest Forum Posts