Non-motoring > Bathroom Suppliers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 30

Bathroom Suppliers - Robin O'Reliant
I need a new shower enclosure and tray. Anyone recommend a trustworthy online supplier?

I have to get this right because Mrs O'Reliant overheard the plumber saying I'd be better off buying from a local shop so if I buy online and anything goes wrong I'm dead.

What's wrong with a local supplier, I hear you ask? The prices are double what I've seen online.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Sat 2 Apr 16 at 19:12
 Bathroom Suppliers - Dog
Screwedfix usually have a good selection: www.screwfix.com/c/bathrooms-kitchens/enclosures/cat820268
 Bathroom Suppliers - Old Navy
I have one of these, very well made, leakproof and no grout to get dirty.

www.douglasjames.com
 Bathroom Suppliers - Zero
I have just recently done the bathroom, it was a combination of screw fix, on line tiles and taps from get this - matalan on line of all places. Got the bog and sink/vanity unit from BnQ. prices there seemed pretty keen as did Homebase.
 Bathroom Suppliers - WillDeBeest
Wot, no little door in the side of the bath?
};---)

Last time I was in Frankfurt the flights and roads were busy because of what the billboards were calling (in English) a Major Bathroom Event. I'd have been heading the other way.
 Bathroom Suppliers - Armel Coussine
God this is becoming a bore.

We've got a bath with a shower over it and some glass slides to keep the water in. Shower cabinets are OK but unnecessary.
 Bathroom Suppliers - Harleyman
I will offer one tip from experience; if your taps are too fancy, they might become a royal PITA to fix later when a washer needs replacing.

With the latter in mind, it's not a bad idea to install shut-off valves where you can both see and get at them rather than have to turn the whole darn system off to do a small job.
Good advice, as I have refurbed our kitchen, bathroom, etc. I have installed service valves. I can dismantle or remove any tap, toilet cistern, or shower mixer by isolating them individually.
>> Good advice, as I have refurbed our kitchen, bathroom, etc. I have installed service valves.
>> I can dismantle or remove any tap, toilet cistern, or shower mixer by isolating them
>> individually.

As I didn't have ANY isolating valves anywhere in my bathroom before refurbishment, I had to drain down the (indirect) system for both hot and cold. So yes I now have 5 isolating valves.
 Bathroom Suppliers - bathtub tom
>> With the latter in mind, it's not a bad idea to install shut-off valves where
>> you can both see and get at them rather than have to turn the whole
>> darn system off to do a small job.

I started doing that, then the one feeding the loft tank sprung a leak. It failed at the shaft. SWMBO noticed water dripping out of a bedroom light fitting. Removing loads of wet loft insulation ain't a job I'd recommend. I'd never had to use it in the ten years it'd been fitted. Had to turn the water off at the main to replace it!
 Bathroom Suppliers - Clk Sec
>> it's not a bad idea to install shut-off valves

They're a bit of a mixed blessing as they slow the flow of water. Filling a sink with hot water, particularly, can take an age.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Sun 3 Apr 16 at 12:24
 Bathroom Suppliers - henry k
>> >> it's not a bad idea to install shut-off valves
>>
>> They're a bit of a mixed blessing as they slow the flow of water.
>> Filling a sink with hot water, particularly, can take an age.
>>
It depends which type you fit.
There is NO flow restriction on the one I bought, the type you operate with a screwdriver.
I bought it from a plumbers merchant not a big shed place who sell cheap versions that do restrict flow.
To state the obvious just look through it and the difference is obvious.
In my ignorance I asked for a 22mm valve and some 22/15 reducers in order to ensure a good flow.
A puzzled guy enquired why I wanted it and all was explained.
The lever types may/may not vary re flow so worth a good look.
>> God this is becoming a bore.
>>
>> We've got a bath with a shower over it and some glass slides to keep
>> the water in. Shower cabinets are OK but unnecessary.
>>

A bit difficult for us as we have a corner bath. Useless things, no room to stretch out.
 Bathroom Suppliers - Roger.
We are considering replacing our cream bathroom fittings (gold effect taps etc. - YUK) with white equivalents. There is a WC, handbasin and quadrant shower enclosure; no bath.
I'm too knackered to DIM, so next Tuesday we are having a local plumber in to give us a quote.
The existing floor is wood effect laminate, which was put in before the fitting of the ceramic & shower units, as far as I can see, so it might be possible just to leave it and fit on top again. Similarly the existing tiling is sufficient if a straight replacement job is done.
SWMBO wants a tiled floor and fully tiled walls, the cost of which we will explore!
The bathroom, like the house is small - about 2m x 2.5m.
I await the estimate with trepidation!
 Bathroom Suppliers - Clk Sec
>> SWMBO wants a tiled floor

Tiled floors look good and we had the same when our bathroom was refitted not long ago, but it will be something of a headache if one of the water supply pipes beneath the floor decides to spring a leak, as happened some years ago when the floor was merely carpeted.

The tiling wasn't my idea!
 Bathroom Suppliers - Roger.
Sanguinary hell - nearly two and a half grand for a simple replacement of existing fittings with no tiling of any sort. Only extra is a heated towel rail to replace a radiator.
Units £1350, plumbing fittings (taps, shower, traps, tubes drains, sealer etc.) £350, approx two days to fit - labour £750 AND they want US to provide a skip!

Cheeky bludgers even sent a photo of the loo and handbasin, not realising I could do Google for the precise branded items and the price! £150 for the two.

tecaz.com/online-store/Webshop/browse/collection/Bathroom-Suites/product-details/Options-600-Basin-and-Toilet-Set-Inc-Soft-Close-Seat-KIT441

Anonymous shower enclosure with tray and easy plumb set.
No way!
Last edited by: Roger. on Wed 6 Apr 16 at 22:43
>> Wot, no little door in the side of the bath?
>> };---)

I'd need an angle grinder to get through the 1/4 cast iron. Its like filling an upside down Sherman Tank.
Does the bath heat up faster than the water cools down?
>> Does the bath heat up faster than the water cools down?

There does appear to be a distinct correlation.
 Bathroom Suppliers - Runfer D'Hills
I haven't had a bath in decades. Is a rubber duck still the thing, or has it all sort of moved on?
>> I haven't had a bath in decades. Is a rubber duck still the thing, or
>> has it all sort of moved on?

No harm in a Rubber Duck in the bath. Generally speaking tho a hot bath is fantastic for easing all the bruises one might get if one were to fall off a bike.
 Bathroom Suppliers - Runfer D'Hills
I'm going to try not to fall off one tomorrow as it happens.
Or break Mrs Zs car. :-)
no-one broke Mrs Zs car. ( Whistles innocently )
 Bathroom Suppliers - Ted

We've just had a new bathroom fitted back in it's original room to make a bigger spare bedroom. I didn't even think of doing this one meself so, with a very capable plumber and everything from Better Bathrooms....the ticket came to a tad off £6.5K. I did a lot of the prepping, like fitting a dropped ceiling so we could have downlighters and having two walls boarded out and skimmed by SiL.

I have available a shower cabinet with an 80cm porcelain tray. Good quality glass and stainless steel sides with all screws. It's a two sided one which fits in a corner. Free to a loving home. The tray is cream....but it's not expensive to replace with a different colour.
>>
>> >>
>> I have available a shower cabinet with an 80cm porcelain tray. Good quality glass and
>> stainless steel sides with all screws. It's a two sided one which fits in a
>> corner. Free to a loving home. The tray is cream....but it's not expensive to replace
>> with a different colour.
>>

Thanks Ted, but we're after a 90 or 100cm quadrant type.
 Bathroom Suppliers - legacylad
I wonder if Apex hotels still provide yellow plastic ducks for guests to take away ? I have a small collection of them somewhere from my visits up t' big city.
 Bathroom Suppliers - Falkirk Bairn
If having a standalone shower make sure the shower tray is porcelain or composite - i.e. solid & not plastic.

Even just a short time flexing of the plastic base causes leaks even with lots of sealant.

The cost difference can be as little as £30 between plastic & a solid shower base - a wise investment.

>> The cost difference can be as little as £30 between plastic & a solid shower
>> base - a wise investment.

I know all about that, the tray we have now is plastic and needs resealing every couple of years, a right pain in the butt. We're looking at acrylic capped stone resin for the new one.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 7 Apr 16 at 01:37
 Bathroom Suppliers - Rick O'Shea

>> Is a rubber duck still the thing
>>

My wife has a waterproof rabbit!
 Bathroom Suppliers - legacylad
Please, in the interests of decorum, let's not go there.
I see you posted this before the 9 o'clock watershed
Latest Forum Posts