Non-motoring > ........and it's "Good Night" from him... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 21

........and it's "Good Night" from him... - Roger.
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/03/31/ronnie-corbett-dies-aged-85/
 ........and it's "Good Night" from him... - zippy
Loved "The Two Ronnies"

He played the perfect straight man to Ronnie Barker - RIP!
 ........and it's "Good Night" from him... - VxFan
I believe he's requested 4 candles at the funeral ceremony.
 ........and it's "Good Night" from him... - henry k
John Cleese will have to look up to him now !
 ........and it's "Good Night" from him... - Haywain
RIP, of course, but I cannot claim to have been a fan - I just didn't find him funny/interesting.
 ........and it's "Good Night" from him... - Ian (Cape Town)
I agree.
Always struck me a pompous little man.
Still, I enjoyed the two ronnies - mostly due to Barker's deadpan deliveries.
 ........and it's "Good Night" from him... - Armel Coussine
>> enjoyed the two ronnies

They were OK. I'm very tolerant where comedians are concerned. Not many useless ones get on TV.
 ........and it's "Good Night" from him... - Alanovich
James Corden seems to be doing OK on that score, AC.
 ........and it's "Good Night" from him... - Armel Coussine

>> James Corden seems to be doing OK on that score, AC.

I said 'not many', not 'none'!
 ........and it's "Good Night" from him... - Pat
>> pompous little man<<

pompous is an affliction of most little men.

Pat
 ........and it's "Good Night" from him... - Slidingpillar
"Napoleon complex" is a term describing a theoretical condition occurring in people of short stature. It is characterized by overly-aggressive or domineering social behavior, and carries the implication that such behaviour is compensatory for the subject's stature. The term is also used more generally to describe people who are driven by a perceived handicap to overcompensate in other aspects of their lives. Other names for the purported condition include Napoleonic complex, Napoleon syndrome, and Short Man syndrome.

:o) from Wikipedia
 ........and it's "Good Night" from him... - WillDeBeest
Napoleon was about 5'6" - a shortarse today but a little above average 200 years ago when people were less well fed.

Corbett was rather less than that, I think. Did the opposite of Ernie Wise and developed into an engaging comic elder statesman after his partner died.
 ........and it's "Good Night" from him... - No FM2R
Mostly i didn't like his acts, but I bumped into him twice, in Jermyn street funnily enough, he seemed pretty pleasant and was polite to those around.
 ........and it's "Good Night" from him... - Runfer D'Hills
I never met him, but I do know someone who knew him well. Described him as charming and generous.
 ........and it's "Good Night" from him... - Focusless
IIRC there was a hour or so long documentary following him and his wife around a few years ago, and he came across as Runfer described. Didn't spot any pompousness at the time.

EDIT: and he was great in Extras

EDIT2: might have been this:
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00wyj3v
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 31 Mar 16 at 15:17
 ........and it's "Good Night" from him... - WillDeBeest
IIRC there was a hour or so long documentary following him and his wife around a few years ago...

Napoleon? Early fly-on-the wall, I suppose. Did the portrait painter follow him into the (Water)loo?
 ........and it's "Good Night" from him... - Zero
He didn't have any input into the scripts for them, but he was an integral part of the delivery of two of the funniest sketches I have ever seen.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VxkltwS9g0

and

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaGpaj2nHIo

For that he leaves with fond memories.
 ........and it's "Good Night" from him... - Falkirk Bairn
BEST JOKE (IMHO)

“A man was marooned on a desert island. One day a beautiful woman arrives in a wet suit. ‘When did you last have a smoke?’ she asks. ‘Five years ago.’ So she gets out a cigar and he smokes it. She unzips her wet suit a bit and says, ‘When did you last have a drink?’ He said, ‘Five years ago.’ So she gets out a bottle of Scotch and he has a drink. Then she unzips her wet suit a bit more and says, ‘And when was the last time you played around?’ He looks at her in amazement and says: ‘You’re not telling me you’ve got a set of golf clubs in there?’”

Magic! But his delivery lifted a good joke into a higher level!!!

........and it's "Good Night" from him... - smokie
Today there was a memorial service for Ronnie Corbett. The Beeb article included this link to his "best" jokes. Quite a few raised a smile...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35935571
 ........and it's "Good Night" from him... - Dulwich Estate II
"I never met him, but I do know someone who knew him well. Described him as charming and generous."

Strange that - a family member came across him and found him the complete reverse.

Funny old world.
 ........and it's "Good Night" from him... - Hard Cheese
A grandfather has gone missing after eating four cans of baked beans, two cauliflowers and a jar of gherkins. His family have made an emotional appeal for him not to come home for at least a fortnight.

Hehe ...
 ........and it's "Good Night" from him... - Dutchie
My mother bless her used to cook for us Hasjee.A Duch recipe plenty of unions mixed with meat and God knows what else.We did stink the place out when we let one go.

Good times of the past.
Latest Forum Posts