Non-motoring > One for FF - Prestwick Airport Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 4

One for FF - Prestwick Airport - BobbyG
FF, have you ever flown to Prestwick Airport?

Took the dog a 10* mile walk along the beach adjacent to it on Friday and although airport is not busy now, there were a load of Flybe planes landing. I later discovered that it was maybe only one or two planes and they were practising landing and take offs.

I wouldn't have said it was that windy at ground level but both the missus and I commented on how the planes seemed to be coming in at a weird angle, almost diagonal. However there were a couple of scheduled Ryanair planes that came in and they seemed to be as straight as a die!

Just wondering if this airport is prone to hairy landings and thus some strange training techniques.

* According to my tracker I walked 10 miles, dog didn't stop running or swimming the whole time so I reckon his distance was a multiple of mine!
 One for FF - Prestwick Airport - rtj70
FF probably hasn't flown to Prestwich since his airline/employer doesn't.

An A380 had three attempts at Manchester on Saturday and it wasn't that windy. Software problems apparently. Diverted to Heathrow to land and refuel before returning to Manchester for a successful 4th attempt.
 One for FF - Prestwick Airport - Old Navy
Some time ago I saw a TV documentary about baby pilot training, it might have been BA. Prestwick was used for final training and qualification. It is a quiet airport with few weather problems and would cause little or no disruption to routine traffic.
 One for FF - Prestwick Airport - legacylad
The son of my next door neighbour, now removed, joined BA straight from school. I thought it was unusual but pretty sure he did his training in Arizona... I know he qualified because his Mum told me that he was renting a house near LHR with fellow First Officers.
 One for FF - Prestwick Airport - henry k
Certainly in the old old days Preswick was used for final training but these days of bean counters it is too expensive to use a big aircraft .

A lot of flying training up to CPL level is done abroad where there is clear weather so training can progress on schedule
Latest Forum Posts