Non-motoring > storm katie Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 78

storm katie - Zero
Wild and crazy night down here in leafy surrey commuter belt, Storm Katie howling around, bins have ended up down the bottom of the garden, with the resulting distribution of rubbish.
 storm katie - Skip
Same here in Kent. Its "bin" day here and we still have black sacks for general waste and clear plastic bags for the recycling (only have wheelie bins for garden refuse !) Despite my best effort to shield them from the wind by putting them between the car and the wall on the drive they had all disappeared within minutes ! It looks like part of the garage roof has been torn off too :-(
 storm katie - Focusless
One fence panel down here (Reading) :(
Last edited by: Focusless on Mon 28 Mar 16 at 09:24
 storm katie - Alanovich
>> One fence panel down here (Reading) :(
>>

Three panels and 4 posts down here. Fencing blokes will be very busy this week. This is the third time in three years that the same fence has been flattened, I think there's a bit of a wind tunnel effect along my street's back gardens, and mine's at the end of it.

Short of a brick wall (expensive), what would be the most wind resistant solution? I'd like to maintain a height of 6 feet, as I want to maintain privacy, and I need to keep the dog from wandering in to the neighbour's garden.

Also had a massive, heavy branch come down in the front garden from a lime tree which is outside my boundary (just) and belongs to the council. Made a deep dent in the lawn and was difficult to lift up. Missed the car by a few feet.
 storm katie - tyrednemotional
...you could try "hit and Miss" fence panels, (with concrete posts) which provide most of what you want with (reputedly) less wind resistance.

Can't personally vouch for them, though.
 storm katie - WillDeBeest
No damage to our fences despite their being broadside-on to the gale. Evidently a good piece of work by the contractor who put them up - same one each side. I can give you his details if you like, Vić
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Tue 29 Mar 16 at 11:50
 storm katie - Alanovich
Thanks for the offer WDB, but I've managed to get someone booked in already within a fortnight, which probably isn't bad given the amount of enquiries these blokes must be getting this morning.
 storm katie - Mapmaker
Al>>Short of a brick wall (expensive), what would be the most wind resistant solution? I'd like
>>to maintain a height of 6 feet, as I want to maintain privacy, and I need to keep the dog
>>from wandering into the neighbour's garden.

Wrong approach. A brick wall may also be susceptible to blowing down with your wind tunnel.

What you need is chain link fencing, and a privet hedge. You'll have to wait a year or three for the privacy, but you won't spend your whole life paying to replace the panels
 storm katie - Alanovich
It's a good call MM, we had chain link plus privet on another boundary - but we have massive badgers around here who use our garden as a motorway and they destroy chainlink in short order. We have had to install fencing with a metal badger gate (think galvinised catflap) to keep the garden secure for the dog. I suppose one could install such a gate in a chain link fence, but I'm not aesthetically keen on them really, they're a bit like the one in my Nan's council house garden in the 70s. Inelegant.
Last edited by: Alanović on Wed 30 Mar 16 at 10:34
 storm katie - Mapmaker
>>but we have massive badgers around here who use our garden as a motorway and they destroy chainlink in short order.

Deal with the badgers too...
 storm katie - sooty123
No sign of a storm here in bomber county, some wet and windy weather similar to weather in autumn but nothing more.
 storm katie - Zero
>> No sign of a storm here in bomber county, some wet and windy weather similar
>> to weather in autumn but nothing more.

Its a southern storm only. Pats van would have been rocking.
 storm katie - R.P.
We're putting a relief convoy together for you.
 storm katie - Zero
dont forget the prossecco bowser
 storm katie - Zero
get all the the latest dramatic news here folks

www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/local-news/storm-katie-live-updates-high-11101722
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 28 Mar 16 at 09:46
 storm katie - Runfer D'Hills
Bit of a shower here. Don't know what all the fuss is about. Got the worst of the mud off the car I suppose.
 storm katie - Zero
>> Bit of a shower here.

Yes we knew you were.
 storm katie - sooty123
> Its a southern storm only.

We'll have to send a jellied eels resupply run.

Pats van would have been rocking.
>>

Where abouts is she?
 storm katie - Zero

>> Pats van would have been rocking.
>> >>
>>
>> Where abouts is she?

Cornwall somewhere. Its always the ruddy same, she comes down, weather turns sheet. Wish she would stay at home.
 storm katie - Zero

>> Cornwall somewhere. Its always the ruddy same, she comes down, weather turns sheet. Wish she
>> would stay at home.

I notice dogs been off the air this morning. Tin foil hat blown away I guess.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 29 Mar 16 at 01:27
 storm katie - Dog
>> I notice dogs been off the air this morning. Tin foil hat blown away I guess.

I've sent it away to be lead-lined as a preventative measure against electromagnetic radiation.
 storm katie - Bromptonaut
>> Its a southern storm only. Pats van would have been rocking.

My Torpoint correspondent reports Katy long gone. She's still causing havoc in Kent though with QE II bridge closed and DFDS ferries suspended until 11:00.
 storm katie - Pat
The van is on the Devon/ Cornwall border near Roadford Lake but we're not daft, we came home yesterday:)

Pat
 storm katie - Dog
>>Pats van would have been rocking.

You'd think they'd be past that sort of thing at their ages!

Katie has been kind to Cornwall, must be due to all those saints. Drop of rain overnight but, we're still alive.
 storm katie - Pat
>>You'd think they'd be past that sort of thing at their ages!
<<

...you speak for yourself Dog;)

Pat
 storm katie - legacylad
Nice bright, dry morning here in upper Ribblesdale. Might walk over the tops to Malham, return via the cove. Or over to Clapham, via the tea room at Feizor, and over Ingleborough. Return on train to Settle from Ribblehead. Very little wind, perfect for a long walk.
 storm katie - Alastairw
Anyone who saw the Sale Sharks game on TV yesterday would know we had everything yesterday - wind, rain, thunder and lightning, hail. Just as well my choir was singing outdoors at the ground :(
 storm katie - Roger.
What storm? (Worksop)

The only Katie I know is my granddaughter, and she's in Suffolk until Sunday!
 storm katie - Dutchie
Rain here and a bit windy.Yorkshire.

The only Katie I know is my Daughters friend and she lives in London.
>> The only Katie I know is my Daughters friend and she lives in London.

One of the Lad's best buddies since they met 10 years ago in yr 7 is a Katie. She's been milking the storm jokes for all their worth....
 storm katie - Zero
>> What storm? (Worksop)
>>
>> The only Katie I know is my granddaughter, and she's in Suffolk until Sunday!

The only Katie I know is an insufferable mouthy cow that you keep quoting.
 storm katie - Roger.

>> The only Katie I know is an insufferable mouthy cow that you keep quoting.

Because she speaks for a lot of "ordinary" people whose views and personas you, from your
self-perceived lofty heights, despise?
 storm katie - Dutchie
The problem is Roger that lot's of so called ordinary people believe the hype.It is very easy to brainwash people thinking a certain way.

Mister Hitler was a past master at it.Blame a certain section of the population for all the wrongs in society and you can't go wrong.Anyway have a nice Easter all of you.
 storm katie - R.P.
Meanwhile back to the storm guys..(the metrological one)
 storm katie - CGNorwich
Very wet and windy here in Norfolk. Storm should pass about 1.00pm apparently. I fear for the allotment shed.
 storm katie - Zero
SQ4TFLF
>> Because she speaks for a lot of "ordinary" people whose views and personas you, from
>> your
>> self-perceived lofty heights, despise?

She is also for euthanasia for the elderly.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 29 Mar 16 at 01:28
 storm katie - Roger.

>> The only Katie I know is an insufferable mouthy cow that you keep quoting.

Coming from you that also is irony !
 storm katie - MD
Not too bad here. A few flowers took a pounding and a Fuchsia has disappeared!

As per usual the recycling bin contents have spread themselves liberally across the green sward. M.
 storm katie - Ian (Cape Town)
>> d a Fuchsia has disappeared!

No fuschia for you, then?
 storm katie - helicopter
Wild night in Sussex , wind as bad as I can recall, hail storms as well.

Two fence panels gone over at the far end of our garden....hidden behind hedge but our responsibility.

Large pots on the patio blown over but not broken luckily .

Still blowing a hooley at 7 am when I got up but now all is sunshine and calm.

storm katie - Dog
Some good bad pics in the Wail:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3512119/Storm-Katie-batters-Britain-Gales-100mph-dozens-flights-cancelled-UK-wakes-Bank-Holiday-washout.html
 storm katie - Zero
I had a full 5 litre plastic can of Halfords Blue screen wash behind the 6 foot high wooden front gates.

The wind managed to slide the can 60 feet down the garden and not tip it over
>> Anyone who saw the Sale Sharks game on TV yesterday would know we had everything
>> yesterday - wind, rain, thunder and lightning, hail. Just as well my choir was singing
>> outdoors at the ground :(

We were a little further south, M56/M6 on return leg of a uni run to Liverpool. Went from overcast and showers into huge squall line with wind, hail and lightning bouncing round the sky. Temp display on Roomie's radio showed drop from 9 degrees C to 2.5 in matter of minutes. Visibility poor with wipers on overtime.

People don't slow down much either.
>>
>> People don't slow down much either.
>>
We had our first rain on Saturday night for about 6 months. Torrential downpour at that.
Lots of flooded roads due to blocked drains etc. Absolute mayhem on the roads, with many accidents.
When WILL people learn?
What makes it worse is that
a) 4 months of road grime etc
b) 4 months less tread on the tyres
c) 4 months of accumulated dust on windows, which turns to mud when swept with a wiper which has deteriorated over 4 months...
I ventured out mid-morning Sunday, and there was much evidence of accidents in my local area.

>> When WILL people learn?

The Lad was driving yesterday, a trip which included an excursion off the M1 at J21 for diesel at Fosse Park*. Braking a tad late on wet road he got a brief ABS application. Mentioned wet road, urban junction (oil drips) and poss fuel contamination = need to anticipate and use controls smoothly.

Wish I was convinced the 'whoosh' I heard was a lorry and not point going in one ear and out the other.........

*Fosse Park now same price as Northampton, 101.9 for both u/l and diesel. Was 2-3p cheaper for many many years.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 28 Mar 16 at 13:10
 storm katie - Haywain
"and not point going in one ear and out the other........."

You do seem to have that effect on people, Brompt.

;-)
>> Wish I was convinced the 'whoosh' I heard was a lorry and not point going
>> in one ear and out the other.........

A few years back, was giving a friend's son driving lessons on Saturdays.
One day it was raining, and he wanted to cancel. I said "Nooooo... this is ideal!" and went through the same schpiel with him, demonstrated all the perils and techniques of wet-weather driving - a lot of which was about observation.
A month later, he'd passed his test, and the next day witnessed a nasty smash where some moron had gone hooning past him as he was crawling along at 40km/h in a 60 zone, NOT looked ahead enough, and piled into 6" of standing water. (see post above re blocked drains!)
The lad called up, and said 'thanks... I would have done the same if I didn't remember what you told me.'
I felt quite good about that.
stop the belittering!
 storm katie - Ambo
Only obvious damage chez Ambo was an end cap which had blown off the end of one of a pair of motorised sunblinds (of no particular brand) and shattered on the drive. This exposed a mains wire running through a hole in the end of the cassette so I suppose rainwater can now get at the works. I haven't risked running the blind so far. The installation is 11 years old and I doubt there are now spares. Does anyone have experience of dealing with these things please?

storm katie - Rudedog
Very windy night, I didn't think it was that bad but looked out in the garden and I've suffered roof damage for the first time. Concrete ridge title smashed on the ground, luckily it's just the one, now need to find a local roofer (I expect they are busy today), big things like this always seem to happen just as I go back to work.
 storm katie - Zero
>> Only obvious damage chez Ambo was an end cap which had blown off the end
>> of one of a pair of motorised sunblinds (of no particular brand) and shattered on
>> the drive. This exposed a mains wire running through a hole in the end of
>> the cassette so I suppose rainwater can now get at the works. I haven't risked
>> running the blind so far. The installation is 11 years old and I doubt there
>> are now spares. Does anyone have experience of dealing with these things please?

No, But i would be up there taping a plastic bag over the end of the exposed workings to prevent any more damage and to give me some breathing space while i pondered what to do.
 storm katie - Robin O'Reliant
West Wales got away with it, at least the southern half. Went up to Cardigan today and it was warm and sunny, not a breeze worth mentioning and walking round in shirt sleeves. Fishguard harbour has barely a ripple.
Just got back from Llandegla ( again ) Snow up there, very picture skew. Thank goodness for heated seats in the car on the way back though. Gonads slowly returning to normal size...

;-)
 storm katie - R.P.
Spring on Anglesey....would have cleaned the BM - but it's 40 miles away....oh well.
 storm katie - Stuartli
No doubt the southern softies have had numerous half-hour long or more TV news coverage programmes and yet more "Why does this have to happen to us?" conversations...:-) :-)

storm katie - Zero
>> No doubt the southern softies have had numerous half-hour long or more TV news coverage
>> programmes and yet more "Why does this have to happen to us?" conversations...:-) :-)

Because no-one gives a crap what happens up north.
 storm katie - Fursty Ferret
The wheely bin was gone this morning when I left for work at 5am. Didn't have time to track it down so hoping whoever has it will bring it home.
 storm katie - legacylad
Hope you had an interesting day FF. Sideways approach?
I walked over the tops and got caught a few times in horizontal hail. Didn't bother with over trousers as my synthetic kegs dry out quickly. Returning via a different route I was again caught in bands of hail and at one time took shelter behind a dry stone wall. Down in the Ribble valley it was only wind driven rain, although I felt sorry for the lambs. Years ago my trousers would have been soaked all day... So much for old woollen, or corduroy, walking pants. Today, despite being soaked in either the back or front, they were dry within ten minutes with a decent wind. That's progress.
Interesting photographic conditions with bright sun on the limestone and dark clouds and hail driving quickly in the background.
Last edited by: legacylad on Mon 28 Mar 16 at 22:19
 storm katie - Stuartli
>>Because no-one gives a crap what happens up north. >>

Typical selfish, stereotyped reaction from one of many whose blinkered views apparently make them think the north is a barren wasteland...:-)

storm katie - Lygonos
>>Typical selfish, stereotyped reaction from one of many whose blinkered views apparently make them think the north is a barren wasteland...:-)

Leave him alone - he's relying on Northerners to stop his xenophobe mates voting us out of the EU.
 storm katie - Zero

>> Leave him alone - he's relying on Northerners to stop his xenophobe mates voting us
>> out of the EU.

northerner? Jesus. The SNP has go its work cut out in the next referendum, you have all forgotten the name of your country.
 storm katie - hjd
I live in Surrey (not far from Zero).
I lived in Newcastle upon Tyne/Gateshead for 15 years. In that time, it was noticeable that the media was especially South centred. Weather up North was not of interest, whereas far less interesting weather in the South would be over-reported.
Things have improved, but for the newspapers it is still the case that the North is expected to have bad weather so they don't need to report it, whereas anything which happens in the South needs to be reported in great detail. I know papers are now in regional editions, but it seems to be the same on supposedly "national" websites such as the BBC.
Don't tend to watch much news on TV so can't comment on their bias.
 storm katie - Zero
Its a simple matter that 25% of the population live in less than 10% of the land mass. Media is about appealing to the mass audience.
 storm katie - Zero

>> the north is a barren wasteland...:-)

inhabited by jealous types who aways wail "what about us" whenever the south gets mentioned
 storm katie - Stuartli
>>inhabited by jealous types who aways wail "what about us" whenever the south gets mentioned>>

Nothing could be further from the truth, hence the tag of "southern softies" because they always complain about anything and everything.

Even A rsene Wenger..:-)

An extract from a weather forum about southern softies posted by "Higgins":

"The snow reached right down to the south coast in Sussex, which disrupted my whole day.

"To start with my wife took so long clearing the snow from our drive that when she brought me my usual breakfast in bed, she forgot the brown sauce. Bless her she tries, but standards do slip when she needs to put a bit of effort in.

"My only explanation is that at times of stress she reverts to her northern roots and all my training goes out the window.

"Things can only get better."

Another one:

"Lee could not agree with you more, these southern softies need a real shot of reality and go and stand on the top of saddleworth moor then they will know what real snow is."

At least it brings a smile to your face...:-)
Last edited by: Stuartli on Tue 29 Mar 16 at 12:36
 storm katie - Armel Coussine
Howling gale and rain lashing down, kept me awake for much of the night.
Aren't you usually awake all night anyway?
Not often beyond 2 am.

It's looking sunny and innocent today.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 29 Mar 16 at 13:28
>> Not often beyond 2 am.

Makes sense, I guess the off licence shuts about midnight?

;-))
>> I guess the off licence shuts about midnight?

>> ;-))

... by which time I have been toping steadily* for four hours. The supermarket gives better value.

*Increasingly unsteadily to tell the truth.
 storm katie - legacylad
>> Not often beyond 2 am.
>>
>> It's looking sunny and innocent today.
>>
Are you talking about the weather AC or is this thread drift?
>> Are you talking about the weather AC or is this thread drift?

Of course I'm talking about the weather.

It's looking sunny and innocent but there are floods everywhere. Not quite over the road as they have been once or twice in the past. That can get hairy because you have to guess where the road is in places.

Fingers crossed that Katy has shot her bolt and gone quiet.
 storm katie - Alanovich
>> Fingers crossed that Katy has shot her bolt and gone quiet.
>>

I hadn't realised that she had arrived here from Thailand.

Man who walk through airport security sideways going to Bangkok.
 storm katie - Ambo
>>No, But i would be up there taping a plastic bag over the end of the exposed workings to prevent any more damage and to give me some breathing space while i pondered what to do

Done that and am trying to locate the original supplier.
 storm katie - Roger.
We were posh, too!
On our Spanish apartment we had an electrically operated sunblind (toldo) over our lounge sliding windows/doors to the terrace. It was actuated by a remote control , but we had an anemometer which activated the retract mode when winds became too high.
Expensive, but nice!
 storm katie - Dutchie
We could do with a small sunblind for a outside window.4 feet wide window facing East.Not that easy to find in the UK.
Tried Venice?
 storm katie - Dutchie
Amsterdam I might get lost in the coffee shops.
 storm katie - Focusless
Only just found out about this - large structure of scaffolding in Woodley town centre, less than a mile from me, blew down; left quite a mess:
www.getreading.co.uk/news/reading-berkshire-news/video-shows-woodley-after-storm-11104138
(video not much cop but gallery is better)
Latest Forum Posts