Non-motoring > Boxing. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dutchie Replies: 33

Boxing. - Dutchie
Eubank jr against Nick Blackwell.

Referee should have stopped the fight earlier in the rounds.Nick was a brave lad against a stronger and more superior opponent.

The swelling on the lad's head got worse every round covered in blood.You could hear Eubank jr telling his dad Eubank snr that he was concerned about Nick.

Eubank snr should know he left Watson who he fought in a coma after a brutal fight.

Referees are there to protect the fighters from getting over the top damage which didn't happen last night.Nick Blacwell has a induced coma due to bleeding on the brain.
 Boxing. - Zero
Probably not in my generation, but I can see boxing banned in the next generation.
 Boxing. - Armel Coussine
>> Probably not in my generation, but I can see boxing banned in the next generation.

It should be.

Chris Eubank is a nice and charming man, or so Herself tells me. She doesn't take to just anyone.
 Boxing. - bathtub tom
Meanwhile, women's boxing is an Olympic sport.
 Boxing. - fluffy
That boxer is in a induced coma.
 Boxing. - Lygonos
An induced coma means the medics have shut his brain down to reduce the risk of further brain damage.

It is not a particularly good sign.

I expect even if he makes a good recovery his boxing career is well and truly over.
 Boxing. - Dutchie
.Henry Cooper was honest about the fight game he never called it boxing when he spoke about it.
 Boxing. - Ian (Cape Town)
I see that headgear is not being worn at the Rio Olympics...

"the elimination of headgear due to higher Concussion risk with Headgear than without."

This I find hard to fathom - surely IF there is a risk, they should address it by modifying the headgear, not eliminating it altogether...
 Boxing. - Lygonos
Headgear doesn't help with concussion - in boxing it allows you to punch someone's head even harder without hurting your hands.

If you want to reduce concussion ideally the fights would be bare-knuckle affairs, but then the cut/eye injury risk goes way up.
 Boxing. - Duncan
It isn't the headgear that should be eliminated. It's the activity known as boxing that should be eliminated.

How it can be called a sport when the object of the exercise is to physically damage your opponent is beyond me!
 Boxing. - Robin O'Reliant
>> It isn't the headgear that should be eliminated. It's the activity known as boxing that
>> should be eliminated.
>>
>> >>

Boxing is not compulsory. If people want to take part in a controlled sport and are aware of the risks that is their own business.
 Boxing. - Duncan
>>
>> Boxing is not compulsory. If people want to take part in a controlled sport and
>> are aware of the risks that is their own business.

How can it be called a sport when the idea is to inflict physical harm upon your opponent? Name another "sport" where that applies?
 Boxing. - MD
Rugby. Get used to it.
 Boxing. - Duncan
>> Rugby. Get used to it.

I have been involved with rugby for almost 70 years. We put the opposition down and we put them down hard, that it nowhere near the same as trying to inflict physical damage on a man.
 Boxing. - CGNorwich
But just as dangerous?
 Boxing. - Dutchie
Agree you can't compare the two.You can train your body to take punches but not your head.

Boxing. - Zero
>> >> Rugby. Get used to it.
>>
>> I have been involved with rugby for almost 70 years. We put the opposition down
>> and we put them down hard, that it nowhere near the same as trying to
>> inflict physical damage on a man.

Except of course when gouging the eyes and raking studs down the forehead is involved.
 Boxing. - Duncan
>> Except of course when gouging the eyes and raking studs down the forehead is involved.

I do, of course, defer to your vastly superior knowledge in this matter.
 Boxing. - Zero
>> >> Except of course when gouging the eyes and raking studs down the forehead is
>> involved.
>>
>> I do, of course, defer to your vastly superior knowledge in this matter.

Deny it? Go on deny it happens. I dare you.

And while you are trying to bluster your way out of that one, tell me why, at school rugby, the biggest boys get to hit the smallest boys hard.

And then tell me how you resolve that one into your opposition of boxing

Hmm?
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 28 Mar 16 at 20:19
 Boxing. - Duncan
SQ - are you related to zero?
>> Deny it? Go on deny it happens. I dare you.

Well, to deny that it has ever happened would be foolish.

You have sounded off about this before. For someone who is not interested in rugby, why are you are so obsessed about the physical contact aspect of rugby?

Any alleged wrongs in the sport of rugby make no difference to the wrongs of boxing. The points I made about boxing are valid and accurate.

Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 29 Mar 16 at 01:29
 Boxing. - Zero
>
>> You have sounded off about this before. For someone who is not interested in rugby,
>> why are you are so obsessed about the physical contact aspect of rugby?

I am not, but I am offended by those who try and hold rugby players, and the sport of rugby up as a shining light of fair play and sportsmanship when it is and never has been anything of the sort. Specially those who then try and knock holes in other sports.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 28 Mar 16 at 20:36
 Boxing. - Lygonos
While you're banning boxing, better ban trampolines, bouncy castles, rugby, football, cycling, basketball, cricket and skiing.

And don't get started on motorsports.

And judo, karate, Tae Kwon Do.

etc

Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 28 Mar 16 at 20:33
 Boxing. - Ian (Cape Town)
Zero,
In rugby, guaranteed the vast majority of injuries occur when the laws of the game are being broken.
 Boxing. - Robin O'Reliant
>> >>
>>>>
>> How can it be called a sport when the idea is to inflict physical harm
>> upon your opponent? Name another "sport" where that applies?
>>

So what?

Like I said, it isn't compulsory and those who reach the professional level are there because they have dedicated their lives to getting there. They would not thank the nanny state for taking away their livelihood, no matter how well meaning the intent was.

As an aside, how many people are killed or seriously injured in motorsport events in comparison to boxing? Many times more, and although you could argue that the "Intent to harm" isn't there the end result effects a considerably greater number.
 Boxing. - legacylad
Having played rugby union at school I joined a local club when I left, and enjoyed some of the social aspect. However, I gave up Saturday afternoon rugby in my early twenties after being raked & gouged once too often.. I normally played in the thirds, occasionally seconds. At the same time I gave up Sunday morning pub football. I got sick of being kicked up in the air by some retard.
I took up squash and played several times a week for many years until a climbing accident put paid to that. And the girls in the clubhouse were much classier.
5 a side twice a week until my early forties then long distance walking
Getting back to boxing... I try to do boxercise classes at my local gym but cannot keep up with the younger females, some of whom are fell runners and very fit.
I don't think boxing should be banned...I can see it happening in the future, but it's a way off.
 Boxing. - Dutchie
Must be something to do with the people who play Rugby Union.I played Amateur Rugby League no gouging or any of that nonsense.Just fair punch ups one to one if the game got out of hand.
 Boxing. - No FM2R
I played Union. A hard game, but essentially a fair one. Not that there are no a***holes, just not that many.

Perhaps its changed since I got old and delicate.
 Boxing. - sooty123
Two different games, more time to do all that gouging and stamping in union as there are more stops and it's a slower game. Rugby is the opposite its much faster game, never say never of course, but it is harder to do it/ get away with it.
 Boxing. - Dutchie
The codes are very different.Mike Smith used to train us Great Britain Centre.

Boxing. - MD
>> Must be something to do with the people who play Rugby Union.I played Amateur Rugby
>> League no gouging or any of that nonsense.Just fair punch ups one to one if
>> the game got out of hand.
>>
Really?

The expression "Get your retaliation in first" is purely Rugby.

I agree to an extent when we were lads it 'seemed' a little less nasty, but it still had its moments.

One of my very best friends is a very old fashioned (fair) amateur Rugby Referee and his observations are quite interesting. He is level 8 and is moving upwards at a consistent pace. He is one of the best Men I have ever known and I've only known him for about 8-9 years.

Observations: There is no 'Crack' after the games now. All orange juice and bitter comments. No bar 'Games'. Opposition don't hang around in the clubhouse. Just *iss orf in the main, can't or won't be bothered. No Rugby songs.

1 interesting comment he made and to me this is a very sad sign of the times. He attempts to add a little coaching to the junior games that he sometimes presides over, showing the lads how to engage a scrum correctly etc. and he will show them hands on. 'That' is NOT allowed in any form. NO touching. Fer Chrissakes he is only trying to do his best. Some of our 15yo Farmer lads here are built like brick sh. houses with attitude to match. What the awforities think that putting his arms around them in a scrum format will do the Lord only knows, but as they say, That's progress.

As a passing comment from my experiences. When we had a punch up we went to town. When it was over it was over and that WAS the end of it whether on or off of the pitch. We then went back to normal and had a pint or whatever. Not now. People (men acting like Women) seem to bear grudges forever.
 Boxing. - No FM2R
>>Observations: There is no 'Crack' after the games now.

Really? So what's the bloody point of playing then? The piss ups after were half the meaning of life, with the monthly discos being the other half.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 29 Mar 16 at 21:33
 Boxing. - Dutchie
Good read MD.

After most matches we all went for a drink always shook hands and no menace.Mind you this was 40 years ago.I can't believe how time has gone by.I was a total novice some of the lads I played with where ex professionals.

I think more cowards in our so called modern society.Iam 66 any car dispute and men or boys still want to take me on real heroes.

Our daughters friend came round tonight she is a copper.The low lives still want to hurt her in line of duty.She is send alone in domestic disputes and has to sort it out.

Not for long I think she just about had enough.
 Boxing. - No FM2R
How very disillusioning.

I just went on the website for what used to be "my" rugby club. Not a single disco, party, celebration or any even other than rugby matches and rugby training.

No doubt they are massively better, more skillful and more professional than we ever were. But i think we probably had more fun. I'm sure we got arrested more.
 Boxing. - Roger.
"Professional" is the reason the game has changed.
Latest Forum Posts