Non-motoring > Belleville Rendezvous Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 14

Belleville Rendezvous - Armel Coussine
Saw this, for the second time, last night on BBC3 or 4. It will still be on Iplayer for any connoisseurs of animation. Although French, it has virtually no dialogue so that isn't a factor. And it's about bicycle racing. Of course it is extremely French in a lot of other ways too, which may not be to everyone's taste. But for pure gloomy hilarious surrealist weirdness it takes a bit of beating. Three hag-like sisters, a girl band in Belleville, live on frog stew after dynamiting the frogs in a pond, with roasted tadpole snacks... their music is good too especially when the lame grandmother heroine joins in with a bicycle wheel... The villains are the 'French mafia', whose cars - which appear relatively late in the film - are too delectable to describe.

The main thing is though that it's got Zero's dog in it as a central character.
 Belleville Rendezvous - Armel Coussine
Just checked and couldn't find it on Iplayer. Pity.
 Belleville Rendezvous - Zero
It was on BBC 4, Wednesday. Listed as not available on I-Player, probably due to copywrite reasons.

Fifi is lying on the rug devestated, her 15 mins of fame gone up in a poof of smoke.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 30 Jul 10 at 09:14
 Belleville Rendezvous - WillDeBeest
We watched this a few years ago on a rented DVD and I'll endorse AC's recommendation. Like many French films, it's best if you step back from the he-said-she-said-then-they-went-outside level and enjoy the images and the situations they create. Something about the right side of the brain, perhaps.
 Belleville Rendezvous - corax
Something about the right side of
>> the brain, perhaps.

Most of what I say comes out of the wrong side of the brain...
 Belleville Rendezvous - legacylad
I remember seeing this when first released. Still one of my favourite animated films, alongside 'Howies? moving castle' and another by the same Japanese director. I may try and get a copy.
 Belleville Rendezvous - R.P.

Copy on fleabay at a fiver.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHB_dzJOk4U
Last edited by: corax on Fri 30 Jul 10 at 11:15
 Belleville Rendezvous - Dog
We quite enjoyed that lol, the dawg is sooooooooo like Milo,
I noticed the Peugeot door mat, Peugeot cycles of course,
Why is it some dogs (our dog) give you the ass end when they jump on the bed!
 Belleville Rendezvous - Ian (Cape Town)
Oh My Hat! One of the less-salubrious places round here is called Bellville. Without the middle e.
MUCH the subject of jokes, akin to the Essex jokes.
 Belleville Rendezvous - Robin O'Reliant
Programme repeated on BBC4 Saturday night @ 11:50.
 Belleville Rendezvous - R.P.
Thanks.
 Belleville Rendezvous - Dog
And thanks :)
Thanks RR, I'll set the PVR, and thanks AC for bringing it to our attention.
 Belleville Rendezvous - Tooslow
Thanks for the recommendation AC. I finally got around to watching this last night. Most entertaining! And the frog meal was suitably revolting!

Somewhat Mordillo - ish in places I thought.

Do you think Americans would get the hint?

JH
Latest Forum Posts