Non-motoring > Itchy Feet Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 29

Itchy Feet - Pat

The world becomes a very small place when you’re used to the whole of the country being your oyster. I’d got used to not knowing what part of this country I would be working in the following day.
Then the world became my office at home, and my training room just 9 miles away.
It has it’s advantages, but it doesn't stretch my mind at all, there is no challenge, no expectation of a job well done.
Today, I agreed to go back to lorry driving ( that word I vowed never to mention on here again, so as not to annoy Zero and IIH) at my old firm to cover just 9 weeks holiday relief.

The agreement is that if the arthritis wins, I can come home at any time with no hard feelings, but I won’t let it win.

I start next Tuesday and for the first time in the last year I have a proper smile on my face.
I’m going back to what I do best, what I know and love. Working with a great crowd of lads who see me not as a female, but just as a lorry driver, an equal, and a mate.

Can I still reverse into an impossible yard? I don’t know, but I’ll have fun trying again.
I can laugh at my own mistakes and that’s always a good start.

Why am I telling you this? Well, I would like to think I’ve made some friends along the way on here, but the last few weeks has got me questioning that a little.
I’ve relaxed on here, and expected to have the banter that I’ve always been used to with the lads I work with, but it didn't work that way.
I’ve always been reminded that I was female, and felt I shouldn’t have an opinion if it differed from the majority, and someone always managed to point that out.

I just want you all to know that my posting may be sparse for a couple of months, but you haven’t won:)

I will be back, I will still have opinions and I will still voice them, so if you see a female lorry driver on the road in a Brett’s Transport Scania, feel free to stop me and you’ll find I’m not quite as obnoxious as I seem to come over to you sometimes!

If I happen to be in leafy North Yorkshire Iffy, YOU can buy the coffee.

Pat
 Itchy Feet - Tooslow
Enjoy yourself Pat and keep posting!

JH
 Itchy Feet - Old Navy
Great news Pat, you may find it a bit easier having given the arthritis a rest.

I suspect that Zero and ifit would run a mile if they saw a Bretts lorry, just in case you were driving it. :-)
 Itchy Feet - Skip
I used to be a sales rep going to different places and meeting different people every day, sure the job had its bad points and at times i hated it, but for the last 4 years i have sat behind the same desk in the same office staring at the same computer screen every day and there are many times that i wish i was back out on the road.

I hope it goes well for you Pat.

Itchy Feet - Iffy
...If I happen to be in leafy North Yorkshire Iffy, YOU can buy the coffee...

Pat,

It would be a pleasure.

Hope you post on here more often than not - your insights from the world of lorry driving are valued, even if we sometimes have a funny way of showing it.

Put it another way, I'd take what you say about goods transport before what's on Wikki-poxy-paedia every time.

Best of luck with the 'new' job - I'm sure the company are pleased to have a good, experienced driver back on the strength.
 Itchy Feet - Badwolf
Have fun doing what you do best, Pat :-)

I cna't imagine coming out (steady!) from behind the wheel to take a desk job. I reckon my feet would start itching within the hour.

I look forward to hearing tales of your weeks on the road.

All the best.
 Itchy Feet - Pat
Thanks Iffy :)

North Yorks is about the end of my range since I've only agreed to do days but I know the sound of the rain on a cab roof will soon put paid to that.

I am so happy I could burst!!!

Pat
 Itchy Feet - Iffy
...North Yorks is about the end of my range since I've only agreed to do days but I know the sound of the rain on a cab roof will soon put paid to that...

The truck park at Leeming Bar services off the A1(M) has recently been extended.

There's also an articulated trailer parked there which has been converted into a shop selling stuff for truckers, although I'm not quite sure what that amounts to.

The truckers' garage/cafe and B&B(?) is still there on the other side of the A1(M) in Leeming village.

Or there's my caravan a few miles past Bedale towards Leyburn, so if you do get up this far, you'll not go hungry or thirsty.

Itchy Feet - Fullchat
"There's also an articulated trailer parked there which has been converted into a shop selling stuff for truckers, although I'm not quite sure what that amounts to."

Yorkie bars??? :-)
 Itchy Feet - FocalPoint
It's probably best for me not to comment on some of the points you raise, Pat (possibly not directed at me anyway - or at least I hope not), except to say it's a great pity that there were ever grounds to raise those issues.

C4p has been much fun since it started, except when things go too far.

You - "obnoxious"? Never. Argumentative? Frequently - and why not?

Enjoy your driving - I shall keep an eye open for you on my weekly trips up and down the A1.
Last edited by: ChrisPeugeot on Thu 29 Jul 10 at 19:35
 Itchy Feet - Runfer D'Hills
Good luck with it Pat. I'll keep an eye out for you on the highways and byways. Keep your eyes peeled for a black Squashy being driven by someone you will almost certainly assume to be George Cluny's younger, better looking cousin.....It has a glass roof so you'll be able to wave !

:-)
 Itchy Feet - Pat
I always look through glass roofs ( or should that be rooves!), you'd be surprised at what I've seen in the past.

Pat
 Itchy Feet - Runfer D'Hills
No, spot on first time, same as in er.....hoofs.....
 Itchy Feet - Roger.
>> No, spot on first time, same as in er.....hoofs.....
>>

No, Hooves!
 Itchy Feet - Clk Sec
>>No, Hooves!

or Hoofs if you prefer!
 Itchy Feet - Zero
All the best on the road Pat.
 Itchy Feet - Pat
Thanks Z :)

Pat
 Itchy Feet - BobbyG
There is nothing like a change to "normality" to get the adrenalin going again and re-invigorate you. Maybe once a year or so I get to leave the office behind, go down to a conference in England somewhere and visit a few other hospices and it is something I look forward to and really enjoy.

So enjoy it Pat and who knows where it may lead........

[oh and I would be very wary looking in the roof of any black Squashy....like newsreaders, the drivers can be respectable from the waist up!! ]
 Itchy Feet - Iffy
...visit a few other hospices and it is something I look forward to and really enjoy...

Bobby, I know what you mean, but only someone 'in the trade' could enjoy visiting places people go to to die.

Itchy Feet - Alastairw
Thread drift alert

Do you ever visit Hospices on the Wirral Bobby? My mother still works the occasional night in the Wirral hospice despite being well past 'retirement age'. She has always found it very rewarding work, and keeps going back even though she doesnt need to.
 Itchy Feet - Harleyman
Pat, understand completely where you're coming from. After several years in traffic management and recruitment, going back on the road was a blessed relief.

Did the first module of my Driver CPC yesterday, I now refer to it as the GSE (Granny Sucks Eggs)
 Itchy Feet - BobbyG
Alistair,was supposed to last year but the person I was wanting to meet up with wasn't available - but I did visit Roy Castle in Liverpool. Very good set up.

I should point out that when I visit I am looking at their fundraising and charity shops operation!

Alistair, my dad retired at 55 and now he is 78 and still goes to his local hospice 3 times a week to drive the "old buddies" about !! So so rewarding a job and I am convinced that it has kept him going and focussed since my mum died 27 years ago.
 Itchy Feet - Manatee
Best wishes Pat, pleased for you; I've never found you combative, I must have missed that!
 Itchy Feet - MD
I’ve always been reminded that I was female, and felt I shouldn’t have an opinion if it differed from the majority, and someone always managed to point that out.

Hope that didn't include me. Got all the time in the world for you. Best to you on the road again. Hope the aches and pains stay at bay.

M
 Itchy Feet - rtj70
Safe driving Pat and do let us know how you get on.
 Itchy Feet - RattleandSmoke
I had actually no idea that Pat was female until a few months ago. I don't really see why it matters.

It is quite sad if we are accidently scaring new women members of the site away.

However at least in this case it is because you will be too busy driving trucks to bother posting. I wish my job was like that :).

As for desk jobs I tried it once and I hated it but then I would imagine driving a lorry in modern traffic conditions must be very stressful.
 Itchy Feet - Ted

Another lady driver back on the road....Oh my gawd !
Make sure the vanity mirror's in place, Patty.

Ted
 Itchy Feet - Kevin
>Today, I agreed to go back to lorry driving..

Congratulations!

Keep on Truckin'
Keep on Driving
One fine day I'm gonna be the one
To make you understand
Oh Yeah
I'm gonna be your MAN

Apologies to Spencer Davis Group and Island Records.

Kevin...
 Itchy Feet - Armel Coussine
You'll love it Pat. Breath of fresh air, doing what you like. Nothing too heavy with modern trucks either I believe.

I would be very surprised if anyone here genuinely thought you obnoxious.

Keep us posted on the dangerous drivers and mimsers holding you up on A roads... I've often seen it happen.
 Itchy Feet - Pat
Thanks for all the good wishes and the understanding.
It's surprising how much you miss a comfy old slipper when it isn't there, and it seems I'm not the only one too.
Life is very strange, I went up the yard on Wednesday to try and finalise arrangements for Saturday and driving home in the car I was trying to analyse what I missed most.
It is the banter and the customers, some of whom I've known for years.
I worked hard when I started out not to be a lady trucker ( and I still hate that term) and to be accepted as a genderless lorry driver.
For the first time in my life I shall be paid 'by the hour' as I'm now self employed.
That doesn't often happen in the Fen, most employers pay a bonus scheme of some sort, and when you go out with 8 or 9 drops in Manchester/Leeds etc. it's good money if you can get them all off and back home again.
The secret is to use your maximum legal hours legally, get on with the customers andknow the area you're trying to get a multiple drop load delivered to.
It's occured to me that I needn't do that anymore, I can join the 'I don't care how long it takes, I'm on hours' crew.
I've always hated that attitude and I shall work the way I've always done, regardless.

I need to go and buy another small crowbar today as mine was bequethed to Mr pda and he realises just how useful they are, I shall retrieve my name plate saying PAT from the greenhouse, to put in the windscreen of whatever lorry I'm driving.

I almost threw all my uniform away, but then decided to keep it.......just as a memory:)

Pat
Latest Forum Posts