Non-motoring > Freeview retune. Lost Al Jazeera. Need a HD box Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 13

Freeview retune. Lost Al Jazeera. Need a HD box - henry k
Lots of prompts to re tune Freeview.
Have done so and now find Al Jazeera is on HD only.
I deliberately bought a 24" TV with full HD in spite of being told "There is no benefit in having HD on that size screen"
(I can also play Blu ray on it)

So i want a basic set top Freeview HD box .
Anyone recommend one ?
 Freeview retune. Lost Al Jazeera. Need a HD box - Slidingpillar
Can't answer your question as my PVR is now discontinued, but double check the box is fully DVB-2 compliant as although HD channels have to be DVB-2, there is at least one standard definition channel using DVB-2. Future proof and all that.

I'd not put it past a budget manufacturer to make a HD box that is not fully compliant, although I don't know of one. There is a good reason why SD channels might use DVB-2 more, it needs fewer bits so for a given rented space, you can transmit in higher quality.

Added - tech details should say, have a look on-line.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Wed 2 Mar 16 at 16:29
 Freeview retune. Lost Al Jazeera. Need a HD box - Zero
Confused of next door here.
you say

Al jazeera is on HD only
You bought a TV with full HD

Whats the problem?
 Freeview retune. Lost Al Jazeera. Need a HD box - Old Navy
If it is lacking an HD tuner it seems it is not the real deal.
 Freeview retune. Lost Al Jazeera. Need a HD box - Mike H
>> Confused of next door here.
>> you say
>>
>> Al jazeera is on HD only
>> You bought a TV with full HD
>>
>> Whats the problem?
>>
Clearly the display is full HD, but the tuner doesn't have the capability to receive HD. AFAIK the expression "full HD" normally only applies to the screen resolution and not to any other technical capabilty.
 Freeview retune. Lost Al Jazeera. Need a HD box - Zero

>> Clearly the display is full HD, but the tuner doesn't have the capability to receive
>> HD. AFAIK the expression "full HD" normally only applies to the screen resolution and not
>> to any other technical capabilty.

I thought that was "hd ready"
 Freeview retune. Lost Al Jazeera. Need a HD box - henry k
>> Clearly the display is full HD, but the tuner doesn't have the capability to receive
>> HD. AFAIK the expression "full HD" normally only applies to the screen resolution and not
>> to any other technical capabilty.
>>
Exactly.
My bad wording. Sorry for confusion.
I bought the Sony TV Just a few years ago. I was well aware that it was a 1080 device, that is what I wanted,i with standard Freeview so certainly not conned by the full HD pr stuff.
One other reason I selected this particular model was it had the lowest over height including the stand so it would fit in a specific location.
IIRC at that time there were no 24" sets with Freeview HD as HD was considered of no benefit on that small a screen.
So I missed out, on this set, when the motoring channel got added (CH 71?) but I was not expecting to loose channels .
I like to watch Al Jazeera for a different view of the world hence I want a cheap box to restore my viewing.
 Freeview retune. Lost Al Jazeera. Need a HD box - spamcan61
>> Confused of next door here.
>> you say
>>
>> Al jazeera is on HD only
>> You bought a TV with full HD
>>
>> Whats the problem?
>>

The stupidly misleading Freeview TV branding which meant that a 1080p TV set with a DVB-T tuner could be legitimately described as 'Full HD'
The stupidly misleading Freeview TV branding which meant that a 1080p TV set with a DVB-T tuner could be legitimately described as 'Full HD'

Freeview is a company, whose name is also used as a descriptor. None of this was the companies fault - blame sellers of TVs trying to shift early adopter sets before there was an agreed HD transmission format. Bit like buying a 4k set now. Don't, and wait.
 Freeview retune. Lost Al Jazeera. Need a HD box - R.P.
Amazon do 4k shows including Man in The High Castle !
Amazon do 4k shows including Man in The High Castle !

But does anyone transmit it? As far as I know no. So your high-falutin new 4k set will need a satellite or terrestrial set top box when they do. Given that on-line standards move too, will your PC need new software to convert the next 4k programme source.

4k won't be the end either, 8k is coming... Both are somewhat pointless with normal sized rooms and TVs.
 Freeview retune. Lost Al Jazeera. Need a HD box - spamcan61
>> The stupidly misleading Freeview TV branding which meant that a 1080p TV set with a
>> DVB-T tuner could be legitimately described as 'Full HD'

>>
>> Freeview is a company, whose name is also used as a descriptor. None of this
>> was the companies fault - blame sellers of TVs trying to shift early adopter sets
>> before there was an agreed HD transmission format. Bit like buying a 4k set now.
>> Don't, and wait.
>>

Apologies, it seems it was 'Digitaleurope' who came up with this labelling. Even now, in 2016, Panasonic have this misleading guff on their website:-

"Full HD or HD Ready 1080p means that the television is able to handle a High Definition signal of 1080 lines of information across the screen, and may mean that there is a HD tuner" (my emphasis)

Freeview retune. Lost Al Jazeera. Need a HD box - Robbie34
Humax PVR is what you want. Best Buy according to Which?

I have had Humax boxes for years and they are super reliable. You can also get a refurbished box from Humax quite cheaply. Here is the web page.

www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/
 Freeview retune. Lost Al Jazeera. Need a HD box - tyrednemotional
...if all you are looking for is a cheap and cheerful, but perfectly acceptable tuner (not PVR), look for a MANHATTAN PLAZA HD-T2 on eBay.

Manufacturer refurb or ex-demo at under £30, or new at just over £40 (and similar price in Tesco, I think).

Latest Forum Posts