Non-motoring > Tom McClean. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dutchie Replies: 14

Tom McClean. - Dutchie
He is crossing the Atlantic in a boat designed like a whale.

Great man not many like him about.He is 73 looks as strong as a Ox.

Ex SAS who dares wins.
 Tom McClean. - Armel Coussine
Must be as mad as a hatter. Not sure I'd cross the Atlantic in that thing unless I had to.

Of course he's only a young chap, hardly out of nappies really. But ingenious and hard-working.
 Tom McClean. - Focusless
Err... good luck!
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3467928/Former-SAS-trooper-plans-sail-3-000-miles-Atlantic-65-ft-home-steel-whale-shaped-boat-called-Moby.html

(apologies for DM link but good pictures)
 Tom McClean. - MD
Does he have room for Floofy?
 Tom McClean. - Dog
"People often ask him for tips for their own solo crossings, and he tells them to sit in a cupboard for three days and then decide if they still want to do it"

:o)

Tom McClean. - Alastairw
He is free man. He can do as he wishes. However, it will annoy me if he has to be rescued at cost to the taxpayer of this or any other country.
 Tom McClean. - VxFan
I'm sure he'll have a whale of a time.
 Tom McClean. - Zero
>> He is free man. He can do as he wishes. However, it will annoy me
>> if he has to be rescued at cost to the taxpayer of this or any
>> other country.

The silly old git should be banned.

There are three old guys somewhere on the south coast who have been rescued three times on some trip or other, and have never made it out of uk coastal waters. The next time they set out and put up a distress, they should be sunk by naval gunfire.
 Tom McClean. - legacylad
In a similar vein... Those idiots who have to be rescued from the fell tops in bad weather. Can't they read a weather forecast..? Lashing rain, strong winds, cannot read a map, run out of battery power on the memory map, then they get exhausted or lost or both and phone for assistance.

Tom McClean. - Ian (Cape Town)
>> In a similar vein... Those idiots who have to be rescued from the fell tops
>> in bad weather. Can't they read a weather forecast..? Lashing rain, strong winds, cannot read
>> a map, run out of battery power on the memory map, then they get exhausted
>> or lost or both and phone for assistance.
>>
Aaah yes.
And then, after the (mostly volunteer) rescuers risk their lives,and the RAF sends a helicopter, at huge expense, the hapless and gormless 'hikers' sell their story to the tabloids/Hello! magazine, for tens of thousands...

Tom McClean. - Duncan
>>And then, after the (mostly volunteer) rescuers risk their lives,and the RAF sends a helicopter,
>> at huge expense, the hapless and gormless 'hikers' sell their story to the tabloids/Hello! magazine,
>> for tens of thousands...

You can quote us a few examples of that, can you?
 Tom McClean. - Cliff Pope
Perhaps there ought to be a sort of adventurers' insurance policy available, on a national or international basis.
If you buy it, you get free access to all necessary rescue services - mountain, lifeboats, RAF, police, fire brigade, etc.
If you make a claim, your risk factor and hence premium will go up accordingly.
If you don't subscribe you will be left to drown, freeze, etc as a warning to others.
 Tom McClean. - Arctophile
The perils of being a lone sailor.

tinyurl.com/zezchty

(Link to Telegraph)
 Tom McClean. - Ian (Cape Town)
Probably.
I'll dig out my Hansard tonight and find the story from Westminster.
And the local yokels on Table Mountain as well.
Pretty grim stuff, Duncan.
 Tom McClean. - Dutchie
Tom doesn't come across as a idiot to me.

What he has build is very strong and should be able to take on rough weather.

Engines can break down I believe he has two engines in his look a like Whale boat.

Latest Forum Posts