Non-motoring > Good news, everyone Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fursty Ferret Replies: 68

Good news, everyone - Fursty Ferret
I'm escaping Aylesbury. Moving back t'Yorkshire, not lived there since I was at uni. All going quickly as house sold three days ago but needs to complete before 1st April due to buy-to-let stamp duty changes. May be homeless for a couple of weeks...

The big question is: what do I do about the V60? On a lease deal based roughly on 12,000 miles a year which is going to increase to 18-19k once I'm living oop north. It's not going to be dire as I'll be flying from Leeds Bradford airport some of the time, but noticeably more.

Does one attempt to renegotiate the agreement, or suck up the excess mileage charges at the end of the lease?
 Good news, everyone - Fenlander
Just look in the contract at the penalty charges and work it out over the remaining time. You might find the penalty is only about £240 for each year £6k extra is loaded on which I'd assume is nothing for you in the scheme of things.

In my view it's always best to take the "self-insuring" option and leave the basic contract as-is just paying whatever extra you cover.
 Good news, everyone - Bromptonaut
Move to the left hand seat FF?

Your bigger worry with the car will be that while it's in the crew car park at LBA you and your aircraft are at MAN due fog/wind/wet runway:-P
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 27 Feb 16 at 09:20
 Good news, everyone - legacylad
Nothing wrong with LBA.. My local airport as a N Yorkshire resident.
I think BA only fly to LHR from LBA...I use KLM on my USA routings, Jet2 for European trips.

FF, as a life long resident around those parts, born in Bfd and lived around Bingley, Keighley now Settle all my life, let me know if you need any informal advice on locations. I am happy to help.
Short term I have very good friends who have a nice spacious property in Micklethwaite.. 30 mins to LBA around the moor. I'm sure they would accommodate you in their place FOC until you find your own place. We're a friendly lot oop North
Feel free to contact me via the mods should the need arise
Regards
 Good news, everyone - Runfer D'Hills
You should be able to get a lot more house for your money than you could dahn sahf. Or the same amount of house for less depending on your priorities.

Re your personal transport dilemma, man maths would seem to point to the addition of a motorcycle to the stable wouldn't it? Summer coming and all that, keep the miles down on the Volvo etc...

I'm sure you have the appropriate Tom Cruise style sun glasses already so the rest is just a formality really!

;-)
 Good news, everyone - sooty123
I'd go with fenlander's advice. Add up the cost of the extra miles and give the leasing company a ring and just tell them about the extra miles and I'm sure they'll redo the contract. Then just choose which ever is best for you.

Is it jet2? I heard at work they were recruiting like mad at the moment.
Fortunately I don't fly into Leeds, but will be using it to commute some of the time into Heathrow. Will give the lease company a call on Monday and see what they say.

Actually moving back into a flat - albeit a penthouse with an incredible view. Have spent the last week making runs to the tip / charity shop / foisting stuff onto neighbours in readiness for the downsize.
Flats can be really nice ( and low maintenance ) but the one thing I'd definitely want is a terrace or large balcony at the minimum. Wouldn't want to not be able to easily step outside for a breath of fresh air.
 Good news, everyone - R.P.
I came very close to buying a flat when my first wife died in 2009. My main concerns were the service charges and the financial fragility of the developer. I think it was a wise move not to in the end.
A flat will probably be my next move... St James Quay & the Brewery Wharf area in Leeds have some cracking penthouse flats. A big wrench though for me to move to the city from upper Ribblesdale...fortunately it's a few years away yet, but lock up and forget appeals, assuming I still have the health to permit world travel 🏂✈️
I want a log cabin in Canada. And a pet bear.
At our current penthouse abode in Cala de Finestrat we have an L shaped 80 sq metre terrace, directly accessible from two of the three bedrooms. That's the main feature that made us rent the place, not the location. And has reinforced my future accommodation plans.
Now if I could find such a place with a view of Lake Tahoe...summer hiking, winter skiing.
 Good news, everyone - Dog
Bin watching this program over the last few weeks. Men (proper geezers, like) building their own log cabins in Alaska:

www.travelchannel.co.uk/shows/building-alaska?episode=4-8
I just know if I tried that I'd run out of and need something from B&Q. Could always send the bear with a note I suppose.
You've been watching too many Center Parcs bear adverts on the TV. Get a grip.
Ere tis: www.youtube.com/channel/UCjLE8z_kFcAV6E8SrS_gZZA [Building Alaska]
 Good news, everyone - John Boy
>> I want a log cabin in Canada. And a pet bear.

Could you make do with Fluffy?
 Good news, everyone - MD
Fluffy bare just doesn't bear thinking about.
Fuzzy Wuzzy wuz a bear
But Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair
So Fuzzy Wuzzy wuzn't fuzzy
Wuz he.
 Good news, everyone - Dutchie
Fluffy is a part time wrestler and wears a fancy dress.Never underestimate the power of Fluffy.
 Good news, everyone - John Boy
>> Fluffy is a part time wrestler and wears a fancy dress.

That sounds like Jimmy Saville.
 Good news, everyone - Armel Coussine
>> That sounds like Jimmy Saville.

Oh fluffuxache...
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 27 Feb 16 at 18:41
I bet the sale of your house down south will get you a mansion in Yorkshire Fursty.

It takes some believing the difference in house prices in the U.K.

He'd be able to buy a whole village not far from here..
And buy a property in the South of France for extra's.
>> He'd be able to buy a whole village not far from here..

And have first dibs on the prettiest sheep

;-)
Already in my harem....as a local once said to me. "We **** them and you eat them"
Don't kid yourself...the gulf between high & low property prices in Yorkshire is probably far greater than the SE. Some parts of rural N Yorkshire are on a different planet to those in South Yorkshire ( or Bradford, Dewsbury, Keighley in W Yorks).
Last edited by: legacylad on Sun 28 Feb 16 at 18:48
 Good news, everyone - MD
That's Black and White really.
Pretty much so in Bradford, Dewsbury & Keighley , although I have no experience of cheap property spots in S Yorks.
We bought a large detached property on the outskirts of Keighley ( 6 double beds, lots of garaging) and used it for warehousing dry goods when we had shops... Less commuting, more secure, no rent, cheaper insurance... Despite completely renovating, most of it by ourselves, we only just got our money back after 15 years. The area still has very depressed property prices.
We would have had far more capital gain buying a small terrace 10 miles away in Ilkley!
 Good news, everyone - MD
To the naive person that gave the grumpy face. Face facts. You can bury your pretty little head in the sand or whatever medium you choose, but there is no escaping the facts. It IS a black and white matter.

A lady who rents a property from me, pleasant, very middle class moved to Devon 10 years ago. Sold back at home for 135k. Her best friend, same area, better house was going to move on 150k. Had a buyer but they, the owners, had a change of plans so they didn't sell. They wished they had because it's now 'worth' 90k.

Reason: it's black and white. So get a grip on reality whoever you are and face the facts.
The place I bought is right at the top end of the price range for what it is. I did worry that I'd overpaid but the mortgage valuation just for rebuild is 93% of the asking price. Can't wait to go. Location, location, location etc, which is the mistake I make with Aylesbury.

Speaking of which, mortgage offer came through this morning. From online application to formal offer landing on the doormat took six days.
Are you going to give us a clue as to location? Not too specific of course...
As you quite rightly say, it's all about location. We had a fabulous stone built Edwardian property on the outskirts of Keighley, bought just after I married. Huge oak lined hallway, lots of Art Deco features and several lovely carved wood features by Thompson, the Mouseman of Kilburn.
But when it came to sell...forget it. Wrong area. We live & learn.
Last edited by: legacylad on Mon 29 Feb 16 at 08:59
 Good news, everyone - smokie
My daughter has been trying to move house in Birmingham for about 4 months. Chains have been intact all that time, but the lawyers just seem to run at one speed - dead slow. It's starting to smell of incompetence - they are asking questions and for evidence now which they could easily have asked for two months ago.

I don't think there is too much danger of the chain collapsing as everyone seems "motivated" but every week for the past six weeks she's been told they are likely to exchange, and every week there has been some reason why it's no happened. They have just reached the point at which their sellers mortgage offer is expiring this week. Solicitor reaction? "That's OK, they can easily extend" - whereas mine would have been "Oh, let's get this done".

So I hope you have a better experience!!!
 Good news, everyone - Zero

>> have just reached the point at which their sellers mortgage offer is expiring this week.
>> Solicitor reaction? "That's OK, they can easily extend" - whereas mine would have been "Oh,
>> let's get this done".
>>
>> So I hope you have a better experience!!!

Happened in the chain when i was rehoming my mother. In the end I bypassed my solicitor and I emailed each of the vendors in line, and told them they had 7 working days to sort it or I would collapse the whole chain (and I pointed out that as we had the least to lose, I meant it)

Reaction went from "you are being unreasonable" on day 1 to panic on day 6 to change of contract all down the line on day 7.9
>>It's starting to smell of incompetence - they are asking questions and for evidence now which they could easily have asked for two months ago.

Fone 'em up guv'nor - keep on phoning them - become a right PITA to them BIG time, like.

>> what it is. I did worry that I'd overpaid but the mortgage valuation just for
>> rebuild is 93% of the asking price.

Thats the price for rebuilding the whole block ;p

Taking advantage of moving up north and upgrading can be good, as long as you never intend to move back down again. You either can't afford to, or you need to accept a downgrade, which is inevitably a miserable experience.
Try moving from Scotland to England or vice versa. Two completely incompatible legal systems.

I remember being astonished to find that under English law you can just go back on your word without penalty having offered to buy a property or sell one.

If you tried to do that in Scotland most solicitors would drop you as a client like a hot potato.
>> If you tried to do that in Scotland most solicitors would drop you as a
>> client like a hot potato.

In the deep fat fryer no doubt, another succulent Scottish gastronomic delicacy.

"Aye make that one deep fried potato, and one deep fried client supper"

Last edited by: Zero on Mon 29 Feb 16 at 10:32
It would certainly be something equally as painful.
;-)
Stating the obvious but moving away from a high priced housing area to a lower is often a one way move, unless a better job offer draws you back.
My best friend took a job in Quebec many years ago...several tiers of promotion followed, but the factory closed and he and his family relocated to Greensboro, NCarolina. Same company. Same job.
They have a gorgeous 4 bed, 4 bath property, set in over an acre, currently valued around $350k. He would love to relocate back to the UK where his siblings remain, and many friends, but a similar property back home, in the area he would like to live, is 3x the price. And he refuses to move back to Bradford, having left it over 30 years ago.
Relocating is a serious business
I have a similar dilemma. In truth I would now be ideally located somewhere along the northern reaches of the M25. St Albans-ish maybe. But, I have quite a big house in a pleasant enough location in the north. It's all but paid for and my family like it here. ( I'm not so sure I do but hey ho )

The effort and cost of moving to suit my needs now just seems too much.
 Good news, everyone - WillDeBeest
I wouldn't worry, Humph. There's plenty of mock-Tudorage in Hertfordshire too. You'll feel right at home.
To be honest, that's the one thing I'd not do again, as in buy a new build. It has everything you need of course but in the most soulless way. I'd never had a house younger than 19th century before and one cottage I had dated back to the 14th century.

New build estate type houses are just a bit synthetic for my tastes ( albeit much less work )
Can't see myself moving back. Yeah, there are some nice sleepy villages round the Chilterns but that's all they are.

Everything else is too expensive, flat, boring, dry, and in twenty years time will have a b***** great railway line charging through the middle of it. Also I can't stand the accent and already speak Yorkshire.

Not going to say exactly where the new place is because 5 minutes on Rightmove will give the exact address.
I've already seen it on Rightmove. It's in Harrogate and has incredible views. I just hope the neighbs don't play loud music into the early hours of the morning.

(*_*)
FF, I hope it's not Harrogate. Some lovely crescent properties ( friends live in one) but generally overrated. I had a business in Wetherby just down the road.. Commuted from Keighley via a business in Leeds... But some lovely outlying villages.
Hope you haven't bought in Bradford or Keighley and fingers crossed all goes smoothly. My last move did, but then my conveyancing solicitor is a friend and I was moving from rented so no chain.

>> FF, I hope it's not Harrogate.

Not Harrogate. Not a million miles away, though.
Pleased to hear not Harrogate. I had a business in Wetherby and delivered to outlying villages to the south of Hgate for many years.
I hope you settle in quickly
 Good news, everyone - No FM2R
>>To be honest, that's the one thing I'd not do again, as in buy a new build.

My house is slightly more than 400 years old. Its a pain. Beautiful, but a pain. Hard work and expensive. Even putting up a picture requires a box full of tools and a bucket of muck.

I would much prefer a new [perhaps ish] build and will almost certainly change to one.
My internal walls are made of cheese ( or so it would seem if you drill into them )
Mine are made up of *"%^& great lumps of flint with pastry in between them, and up to about a metre thick. You could push a cocktail stick though in some places, yet Superman's laser vision is required 2" to one side.
 Good news, everyone - Alanovich
6 years ago I moved form a draughty, damp Edwardian hovel in to a quality built (i.e. no stud walls etc) 1970s house.

I am most content that we did so - the newer house is about twice the size and plot, has double garage and driveway where there was no off-road facility at all previously, is in a far nicer street and location (Primary School is not being built, phew) for only about 20% extra purchase price and three-quarters of the utility costs.

I are not disappoint.

The premium people pay for "period features" in the UK is quite staggering. In mainland Europe property usually valued by location and per square metre, the UK seems to have an extra "period features" tax of an indefinable amount, depending upon the photogenicity of the particular fireplace/ceiling roses/godawful Agas. Barmy, given that interior features and decor are the only things you can easily change about any given house. All boils down to the "must aspire to live like the country set/royal family to be seen to be successful and all that" mentality. Chelsea tractors etc.

But, of course, each to their own.
You are of course right AV, I just never thought I'd end up living in number 31 Nice Avenue, Nicetown, Oopnorthshire with a wife who finds Nissan Notes attractive. That wasn't the plan at all.
In Chile ONLY square metre and location matter. The building on the land is verging on the irrelevant.

Typically a house here is built to last the length of time you envisage living in it or owning it. They're not really built with longevity in mind. For example, the flat out do not understand why we spend so much money on making roofs to last a million years. They'll build a 15/20 year roof and do it again in the future if they need to.
 Good news, everyone - Armel Coussine
So Chileans live in jumped-up garden sheds, like Norteamericanos?
Frequently. And if not, then concrete sheds which fall down anyway.
Different ideas of longevity in the land of the Magnitude 8, I expect.
>Different ideas of longevity in the land of the Magnitude 8,

Very little falls down. There are a few tall buildings which were in the middle of being built which will now need to be taken down (i.e. ignored until they fall down or construction regulations change).

But most stuff stays up.

A friend of mine lives in a very modern, expensive and sophisticated building - he's on the 17th floor I think - All his ornaments are screwed or stuck to the shelves they're on! Can't say I'd live up there myself.

Once when staying in the Intercontinental some years ago, also up on about the 20th ish floor I was literally thrown out of bed by a 7.0 - these days I prefer houses.

Good news, everyone - Pat
Alanovic

Can we clarify something to avoid future confusion please?

Do you consider an XC60 to be a Chelsea tractor?:)

Pat
 Good news, everyone - Alanovich
Yes, but I allow a let to anyone owning one for towing or genuine off-road uses.

Carry on. Your pass iz schtamped. However please note ze caravan ban iz komink over ze horizon. Oh ja.

;-)
>> Alanovic
>>
>> Can we clarify something to avoid future confusion please?
>>
>> Do you consider an XC60 to be a Chelsea tractor?:)
>>
>> Pat

We do indeed, we are going to call you The Duchess
One of the Subaru fanboyz will be here in a minute to remind us what real duchesses drive.
Remember not to pass the duchess on de left hand side...
...if you value your mirrors.
At least I can glide in and out like a lady.

It'll be about the only thing I do like a lady but that's another story!

Pat
I do like a lady too but I thought the gliding in and out was the gentleman's job.
8-)
Is that BBD in disguise?

Pat
Latest Forum Posts