Non-motoring > Barclays Email ????? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 13

Barclays Email ????? - sherlock47
I have received 2 identical emails, yesterday and today, purporting to come from Barclays.

Sent from Barclays Bank Alerts - email.correspondence@assure.barclays.com
Title Important document added to your library in My Barclays documents

The worrying thing is it contains my name and partial Account details in order to establish its credibility. Googling finds nothing recent of relevance except motherhood statements.

I have forwarded to Barclays email scam reporting address but no reply. Surprise surprise!

I have called the Barclays 0345 600 2323 number which appears to be a non UK help desk and they were very pushy in trying to establish my account details which I declined to give.

They admitted to a security issue and said they were trying to find the cause.

So is it a security issue (ie a breach and somebody has gained access to account details), or a a rogue software issue reulting in spurious emails?

Anybdy else had the same.
 Barclays Email ????? - Zero
>> I have received 2 identical emails, yesterday and today, purporting to come from Barclays.
>>
>> Sent from Barclays Bank Alerts - email.correspondence@assure.barclays.com
>> Title Important document added to your library in My Barclays documents

The thing to do is to email a reply, that way you will see if it goes to barclays or nigeria central

>> I have called the Barclays 0345 600 2323 number which appears to be a non
>> UK help desk

Thats a genuine barclays number

and they were very pushy in trying to establish my account details
>> which I declined to give.

They are tiring to establish who YOU are, they can't talk to anyone who can't prove they are who they say they are.

Data Protection Act
 Barclays Email ????? - No FM2R
What does the email ask you to do?

If it asks you to ring a genuine Barclays EMail or visit your genuine "My Barclays" documents, then I am inclined to believe that it has come from Barclays themselves.

Now, as to why it was sent that is another matter. Perhaps an internal error.

If on the other hand it is trying to direct you to an action which is not legitimately Barclays then they may well have lost some data which would be more worrying.

>>on the other hand it is trying to direct you to an action which is not legitimately Barclays then they may well have lost some data which would be more worrying.<<

It did have an attachment which I obviously did not open (or use any clickable links) -

But if there has been a data breach that is VERY worrying.

PS I do not use their cloud storage = but do use online banking.

Barclays Email ????? - Runfer D'Hills
Find a genuine piece of Barclays correspondence and call the number on there. They will require you to be verified and identified as Z says. However, once through that procedure you will be able to express your concerns and have them dealt with.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Fri 26 Feb 16 at 18:08
It checks out as a Barclays number - but most worrying is the possibility of a data breach!
 Barclays Email ????? - Runfer D'Hills
That is indeed always a possibility. But they will help you if you need it. It's in their interests to do so.
 Barclays Email ????? - R.P.
Phone them. Get the number form the website.
 Barclays Email ????? - Manatee
You have online banking. They are communicating with you online. Log in to internet banking and see what the message is. That is the point, it is not in the email, it is available when you log in.

Logging in to internet banking as usual to see what is there sounds low risk. Just don't follow any links in the email.

I've got one, haven't opened it yet, doesn't strike me as suspicious, I've had them before.
Last edited by: Manatee on Fri 26 Feb 16 at 19:22
>>> Log in to internet banking and see what the message is. That is the point, it is not in the email, it is available when you log in.<<<

To play safe I logged on to the Barclays Cloud from another machine - there is no relevant message that I can find.

If it is (as it appears to be) a genuine email (but sent spuriously) why do they not make sure the help Desk is is informed.
 Barclays Email ????? - BrianByPass
"email.correspondence@assure.barclays.com" is a genuine Barclays address.
twitter.com/acquiesceh20/status/645140372419649536

Presume that you have checked in the email header properties that that is the address it was sent from, and was not spoofed.

In your online account, there should be two tabs for documents; "My Barclays Documents" and "My Personal Documents".

I received three documents two days ago, including one headed "Some changes to the way you bank with us_24-feb-16" under the Barclays tab.

The other two were in response to a question I had asked. Those were under the "Personal" tab and accessible only with a pin-sentry code.

BBP Thanks for that - I had checked the underlying address,

Not sure Twitter is the ideal way of validating an email source address, but in this case it does corroborate it. I had originally discounted that Google result as it was 8 months old.

Certainly the first time in years that iI have received an email referring me to the B Cloud - and since historically I did not use it have now found some useful info sitting there!
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Sat 27 Feb 16 at 13:00
 Barclays Email ????? - rtj70
I had the same two emails when away on holiday (Sicily was nice and warm...I digress).

I assumed it was genuine and to check it out I'd log in to Barclays online. And on the 18th Feb there's a new document titled: "Some changes to the way you bank with us_18-feb-16".

So I think it's genuine. Just a bit late in telling me there's a new document to view.

I'd actually seen it as a proper letter first anyway. It's about interest payments and how tax deduction is changing.
 Barclays Email ????? - Slidingpillar
Depends on what your ISP offers, but if you can have lots of extra email addresses by bunging bits on the front of your existing one, or own a domain, you can give the bank their own special one. I own a domain, so if I banked with them, barclays@my_domain.co.uk would reach me, and only they would be given it.

Not of course proof against address book stealing, but it does make a useful first line.
Latest Forum Posts