Non-motoring > Holiday destinations. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 12

Holiday destinations. - Old Navy
I read a report today that Spanish holiday prices are rising because people are shunning Egypt, Tunisia, and Turkey. I am surprised that Greece was not mentioned in the unpopular list. The mass migration is going to have far reaching implications for the countries that rely on tourist income. You can't blame people for avoiding resorts with lifejackets and bodies being washed up or put you at risk of being shot at.
 Holiday destinations. - R.P.
We owe it to the Greeks to go there over other places, they're in a desperate state but it's not being reported anywhere worthwhile.
 Holiday destinations. - helicopter
Greek islands such as Kos and Lesbos are being shunned due to their proximity to Turkey.

I would also avoid the north close to Macedonia.The rest of Greece is fine IMHO.

My holidays in Crete are already booked for June and we may well take a second holiday there in September as we did last year.

Sun guaranteed ,good food and wine plus friendly people make it ideal.
 Holiday destinations. - sooty123
Heard the same about Cyprus with the Russians not going to Egypt anymore. Very popular with Russians normally anyway.
 Holiday destinations. - smokie
Well given a Russian airliner was shot out of thesky in Egypt I'm not that surprised they have a reluctance to travel there.

When choosing holiday destinations people fret about the potential for terrorist problems, and Tunisia and Turkey are quite high risk on that basis (see the Foreign Office travel advice). I believe there are less holidays being offered there, and for a time some of the key airlines suspended flights to at least parts of Egypt and Turkey, IIRC.

Must admit I see it as an opportunity for cheap holiday but haven't yet been able to take advantage as SWMBO is in the "too risky" camp.

The other factor likely to cause a price rise is that the £ is getting on for 10% worse against the € than it was a while back. So it's also more expensive when you get there.

Unsurprisingly, France also has quite a high level of warning from the FO. Spain is relatively low.
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 26 Feb 16 at 11:11
 Holiday destinations. - sooty123
>> Well given a Russian airliner was shot out of thesky in Egypt I'm not that
>> surprised they have a reluctance to travel there.

I don't think they can travel direct anymore to Egypt. I think putin stopped them flying direct.
 Holiday destinations. - Zero
>> Well given a Russian airliner was shot out of thesky in Egypt I'm not that
>> surprised they have a reluctance to travel there.

Except of course it wasn't shot out of the sky. The Ruskies do that.
 Holiday destinations. - Dog
>> Except of course it wasn't shot out of the sky. The Ruskies do that.

Proof??
 Holiday destinations. - smokie
Yeah failing memory - but however it got there it still ended up on the ground in bits.
 Holiday destinations. - CGNorwich
I'll take a week in Greece in June. Not sure where yet. I suppose I have already visited about a dozen of the islands. Haven't been to Naxos though and it looks good - Anyone been?
 Holiday destinations. - Runfer D'Hills
Naxos ( aka the potato island ) is very nice. Close by are Paros ( pretty but windy ) and Ios ( small and once popular with backpackers )

Many years ago, we'd just get cheap flight to Athens out of season ( June usually ) and island hop on the ferries. Never a problem to find cheap and good accommodation.

We'll do that again one day.
 Holiday destinations. - Bobby
Well last year when I was in the Outer Hebrides, a crime was committed that resulted in the police having to put their blues and twos on. The camp owner who had lived there for about 500 years had said he had never seen that on the island.

So maybe I should body swerve it this year! It can only get worse.
 Holiday destinations. - Old Navy
That is only the introduction of Glasgow police procedures throughout Scotland.
Latest Forum Posts