Non-motoring > Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 76

Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - R.P.
"Sacked" according to the Beeb.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35656367
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - Bromptonaut
Another account, including Blackburn's statement here:

www.theguardian.com/media/2016/feb/25/tony-blackburn-says-he-will-sue-the-bbc-after-alleged-sacking

Fog may clear a little later today when Dame Janet Smith's inquiry report is published.

In meantime it seems they're so keen to make him a non person that Paul Gambacini was called in to present the overnight repeat of Pick of the Pops. Or perhaps the reason is contractual due to repeat fees.
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - Cliff Pope
>> Paul
>> Gambacini was called in
>>

Who was himself questioned (allegedly) by Yewtree, and cleared.
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - Zero
The how or why is of no concern to me, I just rejoice he has gone.
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - Alanovich
I always find the off/retune button helps when one doesn't like a presenter.

I'd like to be able to time myself reaching for the button whenever a Bob Dylan track comes on, I expect I'd be setting some kind of near-light-speed record.
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - Dog
>>I'd like to be able to time myself reaching for the button whenever a Bob Dylan track comes on, I expect I'd be setting some kind of near-light-speed record.

I may well be able to beat you in that respect vić - I have the fastest finger a'going when it comes to the verts on LBC every 'king 10 minutes!!
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - Runfer D'Hills
>> The how or why is of no concern to me, I just rejoice he has gone.

Ditto above. Never ever could stand him. Made my skin crawl.
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - Westpig
>> Ditto above. Never ever could stand him. Made my skin crawl.
>>

I too found him exceptionally irritating..however.. if what he says is true, he's been somewhat badly done by.
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - Ian (Cape Town)
West, the proof of the pudding will be if he suddenly disappears from the 70s/80s BBC TOTP shows they show occasionally.
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - Westpig
>> West, the proof of the pudding will be if he suddenly disappears from the 70s/80s
>> BBC TOTP shows they show occasionally.
>>
True. It will be interesting to see that.. and whether he eventually gets some form of apology.
To be honest, as a teenager I had certain 'thoughts' about Janice Long...
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - No FM2R
>>I had certain 'thoughts' about Janice Long...

Really? That's a little bit worrying.
Had a certain jauntiness about her on TOTP, Mark...
I was 15 FFS...
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - No FM2R
She presented TOTP 82 - 88.

In those years, appearing ON TOTP were the likes of;

Cyndi Lauper
Debbi Harry
Olive Neutron Bomb
Donna Summer
Janet Jackson
Joan Jett
Paula Abdul
Kim Wilde
Stevie Nicks

and you were having thoughts about Janice Long??

You were 15 Ian, not blind.
>> Olive Neutron Bomb

*swoons*
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - commerdriver
>> >> Olive Neutron Bomb
>>
>> *swoons*
>>
especially in the Grease outfit
*thud*
Listen sunshine, I cannot but admit my sad and sordid past.
Stuck in a backwater saffer town, where the weekly VHS from relatives in England was our lifeline with England, I had limited exposure to 'kulcha', so made my own entertainment.
Janice Long was just 'different'...

Oh, and THANK YOU SO MUCH for bringing up Stevie Nicks! Nurse, the screens!
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - MD
Never judge a book by its cover oh! chilly one O:-)
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - Robin O'Reliant
>> West, the proof of the pudding will be if he suddenly disappears from the 70s/80s
>> BBC TOTP shows they show occasionally.
>>
>>
As virtually everyone who presented or appeared on the show has been lifted by the old bill or otherwise implicated in some sex scandal I doubt there are many episodes they can broadcast.
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - Stuartli
>>.however.. if what he says is true, he's been somewhat badly done by.>>

After reading the closing sentences of the BBC story, I'm inclined to agree with you.
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - Boxsterboy
Personally I like Blackburn.

I have memories of him in the 70s playing ... (it's OK, mods, this isn't going where you fear it might be) ... Motown, Stax, etc. on his show when no-one else in the country was. He should be remembered for that if nothing else. I also like Pick of the Pops (but I'll admit I could do without Arnold!)
>>I like Blackburn.

Same 'ere. I can well-remember listening to him in the mid '60's on Radio Caroline and Radio London via my cheapo 'made in Japan' transistor radio.
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - Dutchie
Creepy character but he lasted ,73 and two hundred grand a year not bad for a old boy.

None of the top boys at the BBC knew what was going on according to the Dame.

She said a leap to far to implicate them.What is the saying pull the other one?
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - Manatee
>> She said a leap to far to implicate them.What is the saying pull the other
>> one?

Exactly. Management is always responsible for chronic problems like that.
>> Creepy character but he lasted ,73 and two hundred grand a year not bad for
>> a old boy.
>>
>> None of the top boys at the BBC knew what was going on according to
>> the Dame.
>>
>> She said a leap to far to implicate them.What is the saying pull the other
>> one?

In light of what went on, I'd rephrase that one Duchy,.
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - Kevin
>Never ever could stand him. Made my skin crawl.

I've hated him with a vengeance ever since I discovered that Lyn Partington had shacked up with him.
I have always fancied Tessa Wyatt after she kicked him in the nuts and walked out. His wailing and begging on the radio to get her back was deliciously disgusting
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - Fursty Ferret
>> The how or why is of no concern to me, I just rejoice he has gone.

Amen to that.
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - Pat
I couldn't stand him either but that doesn't mean he's guilty, does it?

He may, or may not be but what does seem certain is the BBC have engineered the publication of this to deflect from the contents of the report slating them over Savile and others all those years ago.

....and we've all taken the bait:)

Pat
They're all overpaid luvvies. And remember it public money that keep them in their ivory towers.
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - VxFan
>> I couldn't stand him either

He didn't really bother me one way or the other. It was the music I was listening to more on the radio than the DJ.

But it was the Radio 1 road shows during the summer along the south coast where he, and all the other DJs came to life, when they were not sat behind a pre-scripted sheet of paper.

I can remember Tony, DLT, Noel Edmonds, etc hosting many a good R1 road show at Weymouth, Lyme Regis, etc.
Noel Edmonds. Another parasite. Won't buy a TV Licence but was happy to have his lavish wages paid for by the poor suckers who did. The man is a really low rent, odious git.
He had a Capri though.
and he's a weirdy beardy.

:-E
A lady I know, who despite being a lifelong Labour voter, is otherwise apparently quite intelligent. But she took me back a bit the other day by declaring ( quite seriously ) that she couldn't vote for Corbyn because he has a beard.

Now I can think of multiple reasons for not voting for him but that wouldn't have been high on my list !

Famous people who had beards:

Mel Gibson

Socrates

Charles Darwin

Che Guevara

Karl Marx

Willie Nelson

Steven Speilberg

ZZ Top

Chuck Norris

Me :)
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - Old Navy
I am nearer wierdy beardy than a famous one. :-)
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - CGNorwich
Went to school with him. He lived round the corner. Last saw him when I was 11. Didn't have a beard then. His mum was a teacher at the primary school. I seem to remember he aways sat at the front of the class with the girls.
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - smokie
Noel was OK as a DJ, he did the breakfast show didn't he? I never really liked him once he took to TV though.
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - Bobby
So this culture of hero worshipping and being untouchable is long gone?

So probably the most powerful man on TV just now is Cowell - if he had been up to anything bad do you think there are people and rules there that would stand up to him?

My friend shakes her head every time another celeb is pinpointed in the accusations but says if Phil Schofield is ever implicated then that will tip her over the edge!
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - smokie
Yeah, seems that people can make accusations against anyone without any recourse for spiteful or malicious accusations. I don't believe anyone should be untouchable but a bit more decorum could be in order, particularly in the way things are reported. There are still unanswered questions over Sir Cliff (and probably others) and that poor Army bloke got dragged through it all with no proper apology from the police. As did Leon Brittain didn't he?

So now Blackburn is smeared with innuendo, can't say I blame him for not being too happy about it.

SWMBO could believe it when Rolf was banged up.
>> SWMBO could believe it when Rolf was banged up.
>>

Wasn't it the other way round? i.e. he was the one doing the banging.
>> Noel Edmonds. Another parasite.

Well I liked him. I say liked, I meant as a former DJ, TG presenter, Swap shop, and Noel's House Party, etc. But I can't stand him on Deal Or No Deal.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 26 Feb 16 at 12:49
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - WillDeBeest
But I can't stand him on Deal Or No Deal.

Must be a nasty surprise each time you switch it on and he's still there.
};---)
>> Must be a nasty surprise each time you switch it on and he's still there.

Only caught a brief glimpse of DOND once, and it was definitely no deal.
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - BiggerBadderDave
"Well I liked him."

Give him a call. It's 01 811 8055.
>> I can remember Tony, DLT, Noel Edmonds, etc hosting many a good R1 road show
>> at Weymouth, Lyme Regis, etc.
>>

When I was a kid we were sailing along the south coast one summer and moored in Yarmouth, IoW one night. We heard the R1 road-show was on the island and so decided to get the bus there. I mean the IoW is pretty small - a bus trip couldn't take long, could it?

It could! So many windy roads, I think we got there in time to hear the last song being played. And then had the long bus trip back again.
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - Armel Coussine
Some time ago I posted a piece here about the loathsome Savile and BBC noncing culture in general. I seem to remember one or two people objected to it (Savile hadn't been publicly rumbled yet).

It wasn't a bad piece though. Trouble is I can't find it. Perhaps someone more internet savvy than me will be able to. I signed it with my own name I think, not AC.
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - Pat
I remember seeing that, AC.

Pat
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - Focusless
I remember it - I queried it (gently), then when the Savile thing blew up, I complemented you on your perception. Will have a search..
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - WillDeBeest
Blackburn, Blackbum - look the same in this font on a little phone screen.
>> Blackburn, Blackbum - look the same in this font on a little phone screen.

For a few years I was managed by a guy who had the surname Cockburn.

Mr C insisted on his name being written on the transit envelopes in which paper moved round the building in block letters so it'd didn't look like Cockbum
>> ... then when the Savile thing blew up,
>> I complemented you on your perception. Will have a search..

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=12120&m=270914
Thank you Focusless.

I still can't find the actual piece though. Perhaps it's been purged. It was pretty fierce about the Beeb.
>> pretty fierce about the Beeb.

Called Savile supporters inside and outside the Beeb 'lying hypocritical swine', 'useful idiots' and 'halfwits'.

Not you of course Focusless. One had to have some media experience to rumble the old brute properly in those days.
>> Called Savile supporters inside and outside the Beeb 'lying hypocritical swine', 'useful idiots' and 'halfwits'.
>>
>>
>> Not you of course Focusless.

I'll take 'useful idiot' :)
>> I still can't find the actual piece though.

Was this it?

The really nasty one was an appalling sexless old woman in a blonde wig with a vaguely Mancunian accent and a deeply nasty look in its eye. Couldn't keep its mouth shut but never, ever, said anything rational or interesting. Right-hand Thing to the Evil One, and still alive I believe.

About 2/3rds of the way down, Mon 31 May 10 15:32
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=1485&v=f
>> Was this it?

No, that was just another obsessively angry post here.

There was a proper article, also posted here some time ago. But I can't find the damn thing.
Just to get this straight I didn't remove it ! :-)
>> Just to get this straight I didn't remove it ! :-)

Perish the thought Rob. It's just me, I can't find it. Can't even find it on my own computerthingy.

The posted copy might just have been tidied away in a periodic hoovering. Those seem to happen here, and I'm not surprised or resentful in any way.
Was it on here or on HJ ? When you say under your own name was it a link ?
>> Was it on here or on HJ ?

Might very well have been on HJ. It ended on a contention to the effect that Savile's foul personal behaviour counted for very little alongside the intellectual damage his idiotic shows had done to 'the tragic swindled millions of my compatriots'.

Not bad eh (complacent smirk)?
Any keywords I can search for...?
>> Any keywords I can search for...?

Apart from the phrase in quotes in my post above, the thing referred to all the great and good who sucked up to 'good old Jim' and advised them to 'shut up right now, all of them, and let the rest of us get on with the housework. It's no joke, hosing off the half-century's worth of excrement with which our society has been coated by these halfwits'.

From memory so probably not word perfect.

This is making me feel a bit shy, as if the point were being overblown. The thought is commonplace enough in all truth. But the word runs away with one rather. Makes one appear even more conceited than one is.
Did anyone else see the ITV Savile follow-up on Wednesday night? Nothing sensational that was new, but a lot of quotes from Savile's long-term PA, recruited I think from TOTP or some other piece of horrendous TV . Seemed a pretty shrewd character herself, claimed she had never caught a hint of 'anything like that' (Savile's distasteful noncing), a bit hard to believe.

As with previous TV programmes and the long piece in the London Review of books, the ITV thing somehow missed the point about Savile, imagining him to have been popular from the word go and much loved by the public. That's rubbish. He was imposed on the public and boosted with all the mawkish 'charity work' and quacking simulation of man-of-the-people status. The public was simply swindled by high-ups in the media and the establishment, government ministers included, who wouldn't have dreamed of wasting time on his vulgar rubbish themselves, but thought it was good enough for the, er, plebs - people who watched popular TV -, valued his high profile 'help' with any campaign they were interested in and raked in the profit from his dreary shows. Win-win-win eh?

These carphounds, lots of them, are still pretending to be innocent and shocked. They should be lined up and shot for moral corruption and cultural sabotage.
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - Cliff Pope
>> (Savile
>> hadn't been publicly rumbled yet).
>>
>

But it was fairly common knowledge that he was a bit dubious.
Someone brought a midling-important BBC person to one of our parties in about 1982 and he did not dissent from the general view that Jimmy So-vile deserved his nickname.
Not a great fan of Tony Blackburn in his pomp on Radio 1 in seventies. Noel Edmonds was a better breakfast show host IMHO. While southerners had Capital by that time commercial music radio didn't arrive in West Yorks until Pennine Radio started around 76/7. It was Radio 1 or Luxembourg!!

He was though the ideal presenter for Pick of the Pops. Temporary sub today was Mark Goodier, nothing like Tony's 'zing'.
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - Robin O'Reliant
I also liked Tony Blackburn on Pick of The Pops. He was corny and irritating in his heyday, but he lasted so long he became cool.

John Peel is eulogised as the hippest dude ever to put needle to wax, but 95% of the stuff he played was dreadful rubbish. I'm sure most of his fans only pretended to like him so as to appear Terribly Right On.
I'm very aware that I tend to go on and on.

All DJs have to play a lot of dross but I remember John Peel as having quite decent musical taste left to himself. He wasn't as nakedly cynical and philistine as most of his colleagues.

Apologies to anyone who thinks them necessary.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 27 Feb 16 at 18:00
Have you seen my post upthread ? Copied from a post of yours in 2012.
That was what made me realise I go on and on Rob!

A further comment on pop music: even the crassest bubblegum Scheisse can have something in it to catch the ear and bore into it becoming an earworm. Happens to me all the time, more than it used to perhaps.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 27 Feb 16 at 18:05
Agadoo AC, agadoo to you sir.

;-)
>> agadoo to you sir.

>> ;-)

An expression unfamiliar to me Humph, but I assume it's not a gross insult because you're an agreeable chap as a rule.
 Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. - John Boy
I think he's telling you about his taste in music, AC.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=POv-3yIPSWc
Heh heh ... I like that cheery upbeat stuff.

Not hip really, but genial and goodnatured.

Who needs 'hip' anyway? I've got it in spades, or so I like to think, but it's often rather sour in real life.

Don't mean that there are no exceptions. It's a complicated difficult world as I keep saying.
Permanent replacement to be Paul Gambacini:

www.theguardian.com/media/2016/may/24/paul-gambaccini-tony-blackburn-radio-2-fearne-cotton-bbc
Latest Forum Posts