Non-motoring > Washing machine leak - any pointers? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 18

Washing machine leak - any pointers? - Bobby
Bosch 1400, pretty basic washing machine.

Was on a wash and then started to make a really loud noise on spin with loads of vibration.
Distinct smell of burning rubber.

Emptied machine and took the top of it - the drive belt to the drum is intact and working fine.

Did a spin and no issues.

Then did a quick wash on 30 degrees with machine empty although it was quiet, it spewed water out all over the floor ( I never noticed at time so not sure from where but from inside the machine - all 4 sides externally were dry).

So any ideas what I should be looking for - I was hoping to find the drive belt burnt out or some other obvious rubber but nothing to see. Machine does seem a particular pain in the neck to dismantle, the back and both sides seem to be all the one, non removable, unit!
 Washing machine leak - any pointers? - John Boy
I usually try to fix things like this myself, but this part:

"I’m loading the washing machine correctly but it still bangs and jumps on spin"

on the link below would persuade to get a repairer in.

www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/washing-machine-jumps-and-bangs-on-spin/
 Washing machine leak - any pointers? - Ted

Put it out of it's misery and get a new one !

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_PLnInsh7E
 Washing machine leak - any pointers? - Stuartli
Get a Miele washing machine.
 Washing machine leak - any pointers? - Fursty Ferret
>> Get a Miele washing machine.

Or buy a brand new but cheaper washing machine every 4 years and you're still quids in on the Miele and the 12 year warranty.
 Washing machine leak - any pointers? - Zero
Was on a wash and then started to make a really loud noise on spin with loads of vibration.
Distinct smell of burning rubber.

Then did a quick wash on 30 degrees with machine empty although it was quiet, it spewed water out all over the floor

Suggests to me that something got caught in the rubber drum seal at the front, and damaged it. Ladies Bras are usually favourite, those metal hooks are vicious bar stewards, worse at 1k revs.

Bosch are very good with parts - usually you get an exploded diagram of machine thats a help for dismantling and fixing

www.bosch-home.co.uk/store/spareparts/search
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 22 Feb 16 at 10:41
 Washing machine leak - any pointers? - bathtub tom
How old is it and what was in it at the time, towels?

Seems like it's done some serious damage to itself. I don't like spending and will repair anything I can, but this may well be terminal - sorry.
 Washing machine leak - any pointers? - madf
We had a Bosch with leaks.. I took the lid off and found one of the rubber hoses on the filling side was damaged and replaced it.

But the motor then started going at which point I gave up as the cost of a new motor (genuine) was 2/3rds the price of a new machine. Bought a Samsung with a 5 year guarantee.
Last edited by: madf on Mon 22 Feb 16 at 12:24
 Washing machine leak - any pointers? - Old Navy
White goods are in the same league as cars for badge engineering.

www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/who-really-makes-your-washing-machine/
 Washing machine leak - any pointers? - henry k
>> Was on a wash and then started to make a really loud noise on spin
>> with loads of vibration.
>>
Our machine got its program all mixed up and went straight into a fast spin with a drum full of water. I could not believe the noise it made. I thought it was trying to exit the room.

We recently finally binned it and bought a Siemens ( in a bit of a hurry) and I am amazed how unbelievably quiet it is. The publicity says it has new quiet motor and it lives up to that spec.
 Washing machine leak - any pointers? - Ian (Cape Town)
There's an Essex Girl joke here somewhere.
 Washing machine leak - any pointers? - Manatee
Wonderful video here, I don't know how it ends!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHibAx64ZY4
 Washing machine leak - any pointers? - Slidingpillar
Worth noting, I've had this happen twice now (over about 30 years) that a water leak is no more than a bit of vibration loosening the water input hose - ie house to machine. Didn't even replace the seal, just tightened things up a bit, and all leak free.
 Washing machine leak - any pointers? - Dutchie
Haven't read all the post did you check the filter they get clogged up.
OK stripped what I could of the machine - got the waste hose and filter off the drum and extracted a few long lengths of what I am guessing is melted rubber.
No idea where it comes from and as the machine is 10 years old, and was a free "hand me down" I think the time has came to buy a new machine.
Although I often say I only need a machine with 2 programs, this one misses out on one of those programs being a quick 30 min wash and its normal 40 degree wash takes over 2 hours!

I live in Scotland so in those two hours, it could have started off with glorious sunshine and by the time the machines finished it could be snowing!

Eeny - meeny - miny - mo time........
 Washing machine leak - any pointers? - Runfer D'Hills
Bobby Bobby Bobby, whoa ! Washing, ironing ? Seeking permission and having it denied to have an automatic car...?

Phew !

;-)

well I fully discovered my OCD price comparison side last night.
Was looking at machines for 2 hours, comparing like for likes and really being amazed that the standard time for a 60 degree wash in most machines is about 4 hours!
Don't know if this is some industry standard comparison that they must show or not?

Anyway I eventually plumped for a Bosch from John Lewis with a 2 year guarantee for about £300 or so after cashback.

And I really couldn't give a flying you know what about it anymore! Its white, it washes.
 Washing machine leak - any pointers? - Falkirk Bairn
A Decision made great.

When it has been delivered & installed and found to be working let us know what part of Germany it is made - Turkey, Poland, Italy, Spain or maybe even Germany.

Anything with a German Brand name we have bought of late has been anywhere except Germany - Slovakia, Slovenia, India, Rumania, Bulgaria............!
 Washing machine leak - any pointers? - Zero
And that matters how? He is not paying german money.
Latest Forum Posts