Non-motoring > How many referendums? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 12

How many referendums? - Old Navy
Will it take until there is a result acceptable to the politicians? Who thinks their vote is going to make any difference at the end of the saga? The gravy train will roll on.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 20 Feb 16 at 19:19
 How many referendums? - fluffy
I believe the vote to stay in is a one off. I have my doubts if we vote to leave if it is a tight vote.

Then there might be another EU vote. There can be only one outcome. That is to stay in.
 How many referendums? - Ian (Cape Town)
*pedant*
Referenda

Romanes eunt domus.
 How many referendums? - Runfer D'Hills
If one were to be supremely pedantic, 'referendum' has no plural form.
Blame Google. I was not sure and checked. I thought referenda, Google said referendum. Pedant all you like, no one in the real world gives a stuff.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 20 Feb 16 at 21:56
 How many referendums? - Focal Point
"I thought referenda, Google said referendum."

It all depends on how "naturalised" you think this Latin word has become. "Referenda" is good Latin, meaning "things to be referred"*, as opposed to "referendum", meaning "thing to be referred". Similarly with "addenda" and "addendum". Here the words are clearly Latin and "addendums" would be unacceptable.

If "referendum" has now become accepted as an English word, the plural "referendums" would be fine.

*Though this would not, probably, mean several referendums, in our sense. It would simply mean that a number of issues were to be put to a vote or whatever.

I apologise for a superabundance - a plethora - a cornucopia - of pedantry.
 How many referendums? - Runfer D'Hills
I had my appendix out when I was 11.
>> If one were to be supremely pedantic, 'referendum' has no plural form.
>>

virtuallinguist.typepad.com/the_virtual_linguist/2014/03/referendums-or-referenda.html

I suggest that everyone on the board makes their yes/no vote on whether this is correct or not, Runfer.

Oh, and here come Ken Clarke...

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_politics/news/105751.stm
 How many referendums? - Focal Point
"Romanes eunt domus."

Further pedantry: this should at least be enclosed in quotation marks and preferably followed by "sic" in brackets. The phrase is a quotation from Monty Python's Life of Brian and is bad (incorrect) Latin.

The correct version is: "Romani ite domum".
That's why I used it.
 How many referendums? - Ted

I can't be doing with all these pendants on here !
They should be dangled off a mountain in a superman suit.
 How many referendums? - fluffy
Only one please. I am confused enough.
Latest Forum Posts