Non-motoring > Prince William speech. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dutchie Replies: 28

Prince William speech. - Dutchie
I was listening to his speech today very pro European.Royalty in my opinion can have a say if they want to in politics.I wonder if William realised do as you are told and read this bit what is written on a bit of paper.Is somebody running that scared of a no vote in the EU election?

Prince William speech. - No FM2R
I don't understand. He can have an opinion, or he is told what opinion to have? And who is scared? And which election?

Prince William speech. - Pat
>>He can have an opinion,<<
Of course he can but he shouldn't voice it in public.

>> or he is told what opinion to have?<<
More than likely, which is why he shouldn't voice it publicly.

>> And who is scared?<<
Cameron, of course. His future after his stint as PM won't be looking good if he loses this.

>> And which election?<<
Now you're just being pedantic and picky.

Pat
 Prince William speech. - CGNorwich
I would be interested if you would quote any part of Price William's speech with which you disagree.

As far as I can see he said nothing controvertial whatsoever.
 Prince William speech. - Bromptonaut
>> As far as I can see he said nothing controvertial whatsoever.

Exactly. He spoke to a gathering of Foreign Office staff about the need to work together with other nations. Never mentioned Europe.

Either (a) somebody in the audience or media is making mischief OR (b) there was a coded message and somebody was briefed to that end.

Notwithstanding his Grandmother's comments on Scotland's referendum it seems pretty unlikely that he'd go for (b).
 Prince William speech. - fluffy
Bring back FEUDALISM and the peasants that farm our fields.
In your rush to disagree with me Pat you rather missed the point.

Try and read Dutchie's note again and then answer my questions from that perspective. Or not.
 Prince William speech. - Ian (Cape Town)
OP is suffering Dutch Realm disease?
 Prince William speech. - Old Navy
Any referendum on Europe would be irrelevant, as has happened before it would be repeated until the politicians get their required result.
 Prince William speech. - Slidingpillar
Exactly. First rule of politics is if you don't like the answer to a question, rephrase the question until you get an answer you do.
The UK Royal family is related to the European Royal family. Why cannot the Duke of Cambridge argue to stay in the EU.
 Prince William speech. - Ian (Cape Town)
Because he has met his Greek grandfather, and formulated an opinion based on that?
Nobody judges Prince Charles point of view.
I agree with Prince Williams speech. We have to stay in Europe as the risk to leave is too great. I think the rest of Europe would cause far to much trouble if we left the European Union.The rest of Europe would put tariff barriers against us. I do not believe the argument that we could have a free trade agreement with the rest of Europe. Do you really believe the Germans would give us a free trade agreement on an individual basis.We cannot have our cake and eat it. Something has too give. We trade more with Ireland than we do with China. We need to bring jobs back from places like China not the other way round.

This is my first post message. I hope that we will have a good discussion in the future.

Thanks to you all.
>>. I hope that we will have a good discussion in the future.

Yeah, well I'm not seeing it as likely.
 Prince William speech. - Stuartli
Prince William (and Harry) has had a good education, is very with it in modern terms, has the rare skills and ability to pilot a search and rescue helicopter and, I feel, has every right to have an opinion on important matters.

Certainly the Queen is noted and admired for her staggering knowledge and expertise in her role and that of Parliament, so we should certainly expect her family members to show their abilities.
 Prince William speech. - Robin O'Reliant
William has a right to hold opinions, but the unelected monarchy should be politically neutral and keep whatever they believe to themselves.
>> the unelected monarchy should be politically neutral

Absolutely.

However, I think its only political opinions they should shy away from. I do think that they should be able to have other opinions, on social matters for example.

The difficulty comes when a social issue has become a political issue.
I ask the same question I asked earlier. What exactly did Prince William say which was in any way controversial? There is nothing in his speech as far as I can see with which you can disagree whether you believe we should be a member of the EU or not.
 Prince William speech. - Pat
Patience Mark and CG, some of us still have to work for a living you know!

My comments were made about the monarchy having opinions in general, as I assumed Marks reply to Dutchie was since it didn't specify much at all.

>> Prince William say which was in any way controversial<<

He didn't, people with any sort of power (and breeding) never do, however it doesn't stop them intimating a certain course very discreetly.

....much like his Father insists he wasn't doing with his letters to the government of the day over the years.

Like Father...like son?

Pat
 Prince William speech. - Zero

>> Like Father...like son?

Lets hope not.
"He didn't,

Exactly . He didn't

"people with any sort of power (and breeding) never do, however it doesn't stop them intimating a certain course very discreetly."

If people want to read things which are not there into whatever he says then they will. His speech could hardly have been more bland and a statement of the obvious.
 Prince William speech. - sooty123
To save a bit of headache can someone just put what they think he said /shouldn't have said? And which bit was controversial? I'm still none the wiser.
 Prince William speech. - Old Navy
>> To save a bit of headache can someone just put what they think he said
>> /shouldn't have said? And which bit was controversial? I'm still none the wiser.
>>

Don't worry about it, it won't make any differeñce to your life. Many sad people get wound up about trivial stuff that most people could not care less about.
I thought the Duke of Cambridge could vote
 Prince William speech. - Cliff Pope
>> so we should certainly expect her family members to show
>> their abilities.
>>

We certainly should. But why then do I have this uncomfortable feeling that actually all the others are as thick as a plank?
 Prince William speech. - Stuartli
Well Princess Anne is most certainly not, for a start...:-)
>> have this uncomfortable feeling that actually all the others are as thick as a plank?

Prince Andrew is not at all thick.
 Prince William speech. - Armel Coussine
Why should any of the Habsburg-Hohenzollerns be seen as thick? George III had porphyria, but he wasn't thick.

Some people think Edward VIII was thick, but he wasn't really. He was just a hipster seduced by all the substances available in the jazz age.

I keep reminding people that royals are very well educated and tutored, and from an early age have privileged access to a lot of government material thought unsuitable for the citizens. They know stuff that most people don't. It gives them a stony look.
Latest Forum Posts