Non-motoring > Independent to Close Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 63

Independent to Close - Robin O'Reliant
www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/12151444/Johnston-Press-confirms-24m-talks-to-buy-the-i-newspaper.html

Hardly surprising. We only get four copies in the mornings and often send one or two of those back.
 Independent to Close - Harleyman
It was never seriously going to challenge the Grauniad.

When it first started in about 1988 my then employer, Nightfreight, got the distribution contract. It was printed at the Bradford Telegraph and Argus press, we used to collect it there using 7.5 tonne trucks (in anticipation of booming sales) and take it out to all the Menzies/W.H.Smiths satellite distribution centres, down as far as Peterborough and Skegness. Within a few months it was blatantly obvious that it was not going to take off and the trucks were replaced by Transit vans, quicker and not subject to tachograph laws; which was just as well given the delays leaving Bradford.

Earned some decent overtime on that job; and the perk of course of a free Daily Telegraph at one of the drops. Tried to get into the Independent myself but couldn't; too lefty for me even back then.
 Independent to Close - R.P.
Any non tabloid paper closure is something to mourn....especially something not of the right. Sad day for the UK press. Guardian is on its backside as well.
 Independent to Close - henry k
>> Any non tabloid paper closure is something to mourn....especially something not of the right. >>Sad day for the UK press.
>> Guardian is on its backside as well.
>>
I get a free Guardian at Waitrose when I shop there.
I wonder if the sales figures are distorted by such sales?
 Independent to Close - sooty123
I get a free Guardian at Waitrose when I shop there.
>> I wonder if the sales figures are distorted by such sales?
>>

I think they only count sold copies.
 Independent to Close - mikeyb
>> I get a free Guardian at Waitrose when I shop there.
>> >> I wonder if the sales figures are distorted by such sales?
>> >>
>>
>> I think they only count sold copies.
>>

Waitrose count it as a sale - they sell the paper to you and then give you an equivalent discount on your shopping bill so I would have thought it counts

>> Waitrose count it as a sale - they sell the paper to you and then
>> give you an equivalent discount on your shopping bill so I would have thought it
>> counts
>>

Ahh right didn't know that. I thought they just handed them out in the shop.
 Independent to Close - CGNorwich
>> I get a free Guardian at Waitrose when I shop there.
>> >> I wonder if the sales figures are distorted by such sales?
>> >>
>>
>> I think they only count sold copies.
>>

I understand that they are all counted as are bulk sales such at those newspapers you get free on airlines
>> Any non tabloid paper closure is something to mourn....especially something not of the right. Sad
>> day for the UK press. Guardian is on its backside as well.
>>

The trouble with left of centre papers is that hardly anyone reads them.
 Independent to Close - Roger.

>> The trouble with left of centre papers is that hardly anyone reads them.

Gosh - I wonder why?
>> Any non tabloid paper closure is something to mourn....especially something not of the right. Sad day for the UK press. Guardian is on its backside as well.
>>

It's a myth that the newspapers are dominated by the Tory supporters. As follows, the breakdown is;

TORY

Telegraph
Times
Express
Mail

LABOUR

Guardian
Mirror
Indy
I

I've left the Sun off the list as it supports whoever is going to win and has a history of switching sides. It was a Labour paper from the mid nineties till it realised the game was up for Brown in 2010 and it will happily change sides again when the opinion polls dictate. I've left the Star off because....well, it ain't a paper bought by those who are interested in politics.

Independent to Close - Manatee
I don't suppose this will do the 'i' any good. I'm not going back to the Telegraph at £400 a year.

It might give the Grauniad some respite.
 Independent to Close - Bromptonaut
The real question is which will be the last printed paper left standing. Why shift tonnes of newsprint round the country when we can all either read the unadulterated version on line for a fee or get the highlights with ads for a few pounds a week?
Our regional paper is delivered to an iPad every morning. 50% of the price of the print version and no recycling required. Best way.
 Independent to Close - The Melting Snowman
There is nothing to beat the pleasure of sitting in my comfy armchair with a cup of coffee and a cigarette together with a real newspaper. Reading the news on a tablet just isn't the same. My missus likes the Torygraph but I prefer the gRauniad.
I'm surprised more haven't stopped printing the paper version already. Profits must be wafer thin on flogging papers.
 Independent to Close - Zero
The printed daily news is on its way out. I rember the days of two paid London daily evening papers, let alone daily papers
Whilst I appreciate the feel of a newspaper, having it delivered electronically beats all that nonsense about remembering to buy, remembering to bring it home and on top of that not having to go to get it in the first place, takes seconds to download.
 Independent to Close - Harleyman
I've often wondered how many newspaper sales are underpinned by the reader's need for something to line the cats' litter tray once the paper has been read.
 Independent to Close - Westpig
>> reader's need for something
>> to line the cats' litter tray once the paper has been read.
>>

...it's lighting the fire in this house.
The paperboy puts it through the letterbox and the missus brings it to my armchair with a cup of coffee. Sorted :-)
 Independent to Close - zippy
Sad to hear it, there is a predominance of right leaning papers.

The Guardian is loss making but owns Autotrader and uses that to help pay its way.
 Independent to Close - Kevin
>The Guardian is loss making but owns Autotrader and uses that to help pay its way.

GMG sold their remaining stake in Autotrader in 2014.
Ten years ago when we sorting the morning papers they were stacked so high on the counter we could barely see over them and we had twelve youngsters delivering them. We've now halved the number of delivery rounds - which are also a lot shorter - and that is despite the two other shops who used to deliver ceasing their own rounds. Newspapers can no longer afford to do the sort of in depth investigative journalism they used to and the populars are no more than football and celebrity gossip sheets.
 Independent to Close - WillDeBeest
Anyone else notice some gleeful gun-jumping by a rival paper? The BBC News report has nothing more than 'questions' over the future of the full-length Independent. Where does the certainty come from?
 Independent to Close - Stuartli
Some would say that Johnson Press is to newspapers what a certain Australian beer is to lager.....
 Independent to Close - Cliff Pope
I do love a proper paper broadsheet I can spread out on the table and rest my coffee mug on, and I love the feeling of opening it for the very first time. In an earlier age I'd definitely have had my staff iron the newspapers.

I'd switch to online if only it was the complete paper, but it's only a synopsis. Also I can't see an easy way of printing off selected items, or saving them. But perhaps the facility does exist and it's just me.
Also I can't see an easy way of printing off selected items, or saving
>> them. But perhaps the facility does exist and it's just me.
>>

You can screen shot the page or save the link. Nearly all the news sites store them online so are search able
 Independent to Close - Zero
>> I do love a proper paper broadsheet I can spread out on the table and
>> rest my coffee mug on, and I love the feeling of opening it for the
>> very first time. In an earlier age I'd definitely have had my staff iron the
>> newspapers.

I love the look of trolley buses and horse drawn barges, but they have all disappeared as well.

You can't change change.
 Independent to Close - Cliff Pope

>>
>> I love the look of trolley buses and horse drawn barges, but they have all
>> disappeared as well.
>>

Like vinyl records and fountain pens ?

:)
 Independent to Close - BiggerBadderDave
"I love the feeling of opening it for the very first time"

I remember reading an article about John Lennon who beat the crap out of Yoko Poko for reading the paper before he did.

Pleasant guy, wasn't he? Heroin-ridden hippie.
 Independent to Close - Mike H
We have a subscription to the weekly expat edition of the Telegraph, delivered by post. We were notified a few weeks ago that this will no longer be printed after mid-February, so we've been offered a deal on an online subscription. Like others, reading a real paper over a coffee is much preferred by Mrs H and I. We used to make a copy of the puzzle page (crosswords, codeword, sudoku etc) so that we could both tackle them. Must say I prefer real books as well, but she likes her Kindle. Even with a reasonably large screen, reading a book on my smartphone just isn't the same.
 Independent to Close - Dog
>>We have a subscription to the weekly expat edition of the Telegraph

We used to enjoy reading that every week when we liveed in tenner reef, still miss it even now believe it oar knot.

Sure, I nose about the on-line ed.
 Independent to Close - Mike Hannon
'all'? Edit: this comment is in what this website considers is the correct place to respond to a comment by Bromptonaut much further up the thread.
Last edited by: Mike Hannon on Fri 12 Feb 16 at 11:41
 Independent to Close - VxFan
>> Edit: this comment is in what this website considers is the correct place to
>> respond to a comment by Bromptonaut much further up the thread.

It is in the correct place, and in reply to Brompt's message.

If you temp take a look at this thread in threaded view, you will see for yourself.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=21773&v=t
 Independent to Close - Mike Hannon
Sorry. I don't spend enough time on playing with technology and the same old, same old from a few names on this website these days to bother with things like threaded views.
>> to bother with things like threaded views.

I was using that to show how your reply was attached to Brompts post.
 Independent to Close - Manatee
Point is that your reply to Bromp's question takes its place after all the other replies to the same question, under each of which are nested the replies to those replies.

When you stop to think about it, it's the only way to do it.

What makes it awkward is when people just tack replies on to the bottom post of the thread whether they are replying to that post or the thread as a whole (in which case, they should reply to the first post and their reply will appear right at the bottom anyway, instead of cluttering up a branch).

Capisce?

>> When you stop to think about it, it's the only way to do it.

Easiest way would be to have it in chronological order.
Who uses threaded view anyway?
>> Who uses threaded view anyway?
>>

I wouldn't think anyone, like trying to follow a spider's web.
 Independent to Close - smokie
Sooty, I don't use threaded view but even if flat view it beats chronological order hands down, especially where we have "threads within threads" - it keeps related stuff reasonably close.

As for the orig problem, the first responder to a thread or sub-thread goes directly below it and the rest go below that. So you could say that this behaviour is chronological, and you can see the mess it turns out. Obviously someone posting a response after a load have already been posted will appear some way away from the intended position.
>> Sooty, I don't use threaded view but even if flat view it beats chronological order
>> hands down, especially where we have "threads within threads" - it keeps related stuff reasonably
>> close.

Not for me, this is the only forum with this odd layout and makes it hard to follow when it gets complicated. All the others use a time based one much, easier to follow. Look at say PH for layout.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Fri 12 Feb 16 at 19:50
>> Easiest way would be to have it in chronological order.

This is a bespoke forum, which separates it from all the rest of the "off the shelf" stuff. Mind you saying that, even vBulletin has a threaded view option.
>> This is a bespoke forum, which separates it from all the rest of the "off
>> the shelf" stuff.

I noticed. I wonder if we'd get more people joining if we had a normal forum layout?
>> I noticed. I wonder if we'd get more people joining if we had a normal forum layout?

Bizarre though the threaded view is in my opinion, I don't think that puts new members off joining.
>> I wonder if we'd get more people joining if we had a normal forum layout?

It's not the forum stopping people joining, it's some of the existing members ;) No, not you, before you ask.
I don't think it helps, but no drama. Don't worry I wasn't going to.
 Independent to Close - Bromptonaut
>> 'all'? Edit: this comment is in what this website considers is the correct place to

All was a bit sweeping. Given my line of work I actually speak regularly to the 'digitally excluded'. It's getting more and more difficult for them though; government services are increasingly digital by default.
 Independent to Close - Focusless
>> 'all'? Edit: this comment is in what this website considers is the correct place to

Just use the Quote Original Message button if you want to make it clear who/what you're replying to - that's what generated the above. You can always edit it out after posting if you don't think it's necessary.
 Independent to Close - Alanovich
R O'R, how does 'Newspaper group confirms it is in advanced talks with the Lebedev family to buy the tabloid (i), although no mention of the future of The Independent ' = 'Independent to Close'?
www.theguardian.com/media/2016/feb/11/independent-owner-considering-closing-national-print-titles
 Independent to Close - Alanovich
Ah now that's a bit different, 'Independent may Close'.

Real shame, best paper out there.
"i" is an excellent work read.
BBC Breaking News "Independent to cease as print edition"

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35561145
 Independent to Close - Falkirk Bairn
Story yesterday was that Johnstone Newspapers Group were looking to buy I for £24m.

Sounded an implausible story as Johnstone (Scotsman+ Hundreds of local weeklies throughout UK but started in Falkirk) is losing circulation, staff & money rapidly and has been for many many years - so paying money you do not have (they owe the banks lots) to buy a national paper that loses money was stretching things.
 Independent to Close - Boxsterboy

>> Real shame, best paper out there.
>>

Not in my opinion, but each to their own of course. The London Standard (owned by same Russian) sold the story as Independent goes fully online (rather than print edition closes). I doubt they could ever do that with The Standard, as they would miss all those casual public transport readers.

The problem is making online pay, when there is so much free news out there (BBC, Mail Online, etc.) Mrs BB subscribes to The Times (we get digital and paper deditions) but I only read it digitally when we are abroad/away. At home I never touch it but read the paper edition.
 Independent to Close - Roger.
One lefty rag gone - now for the Grauniad ;-)
 Independent to Close - Armel Coussine
>> One lefty rag gone - now for the Grauniad ;-)

And after that those soft-on-liberalism rags the Times and Terrorflag eh Rastaman?

If only there was an English version of Die Stürmer to keep you happy Kamerad!
 Independent to Close - Ian (Cape Town)
Indy? Pah!
Not a great fan of the Times, nor the Grauniad, nor the Telegraph - but at least they have a point of view.
Independent never found a niche, did it? A very wishy-washy read, IMHO.
 Independent to Close - Armel Coussine
The steady shrinkage or erosion of the print press depresses the hell out of me.

There was a written record, not the profuse Chinese Whispers of the electronic media and internet.

Misquoting is a way of life with these modern hacks, harrumph! (Blows nose noisily and agitates finger in ear).
 Independent to Close - Ian (Cape Town)
>> Misquoting is a way of life with these modern hacks, harrumph! (Blows nose noisily and
>> agitates finger in ear).
>>
Big scandal on this side of the world, Armel... a local sports weekly has been exposed for publishing 'interviews' with top footballers.
The only problem is that the footballers deny emphatically that they ever spoke to the publication involved, and that the information published is 180 degrees from the real story!
Publisher denies claims, says he has the interview recordings to prove it - so gets challenged to 'put up'. Recordings then expose that the 'interviewees' are in fact friends of reporters, reading from a prepared script!
Much mirth in the industry, but also much threat of lawsuits etc
>>.
>> Independent never found a niche, did it? A very wishy-washy read, IMHO.
>>

I find it a bit of a nothing paper, little to grab the attention.
An interesting move by the Mirror -

www.theguardian.com/media/2016/feb/17/daily-mirror-newspaper-new-day
Latest Forum Posts