Non-motoring > PIN NUMBER Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 8

PIN NUMBER - MD
If you put your card in a cash machine the first thing it asks for is the PIN, Right.

If you get the pin wrong does/should it tell you/reject card at that stage or does it allow you to request a service, i.e. cash withdrawal then deny you.

The reason for asking is I have for the first time tried to use a card from a bank that I thought I knew the PIN for. It let me in to choose what service I required, but rejected a £10.00 cash request. I thought that it should 'kick me out' at the first point. Anyone??
 PIN NUMBER - VxFan
IIRC, from getting it wrong myself, it does indeed get as far as allowing you to request a service before telling you the PIN was wrong.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 8 Feb 16 at 11:16
 PIN NUMBER - smokie
Yeah I think it's all to do with speeding up the service - it presents the "requirements" screen while checking your PIN, thus saving some milliseconds.

Last edited by: smokie on Mon 8 Feb 16 at 12:24
 PIN NUMBER - MD
Thanks.
 PIN NUMBER - Bromptonaut
I've had same experience in past and same rationale as above.
 PIN NUMBER - Slidingpillar
Aroogah, aroogah, tautology detector activated, one minute until destruction.

Goes off to stroke white cat.

PIN = personal identification number.
 PIN NUMBER - Dave_
>> PIN = personal identification number

I've had the same experience at an ATM machine.
 PIN NUMBER - Runfer D'Hills
When using your PIN at an ATM, do you withdraw fifty pounds or fifty pound? And, when you spend one of the notes, is your change in "pee" or "pence"?

In Southern Ireland, where they use them, I've noticed that they say fifty Euro, whereas in Northern Ireland, where they don't, they say fifty Euros.

Just thought I'd lob those in.

;-)

PIN NUMBER - Bromptonaut

>> In Southern Ireland, where they use them,

The differing terms for Republic/Six Counties between those from the Republic and the groupings north of the border are an interesting subject to study.
Latest Forum Posts