Non-motoring > Dad's Army. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 17

Dad's Army. - R.P.
Went to see it tonight at Holyhead's cinema. An original cinema not some horrible modern edifice, been nicely modernized by the Town Council and sponsored by Stena. £5.00 with plenty of parking.

Excellent film, beautifully acted, nice to see two of the original actors in it, but maybe that's part of the surprise so not mentioned here.

A very British film which I believe may not be understood beyond these shores.

Nice one - go see it.
 Dad's Army. - Ian (Cape Town)
who do you think you're kidding?

I'll keep an eye out for it - thanks.
 Dad's Army. - Zero
Its certainly on the todo list - Extraordinary cast.
 Dad's Army. - R.P.
Zero - I only laughed out loud a couple of times, but that wasn't the point, in my opinion it was an affectionate homage to the originals, beautifully executed
 Dad's Army. - Zero
Its got some pretty dire reviews, but i'm still prepared to give it a bash.
 Dad's Army. - R.P.
Hadn't read the reviews...policy decision....I enjoyed it. I think the fact that the two surviving cast members were there made it an important film. There were better episodes, especially the later ones..
 Dad's Army. - big bird
Funnily just back from watching it. Light hearted humour, not laugh out loud.
But star packed, well acted, and true to the original mould.

Worth the time and cost - even though cost in Epsom is nearly £10 each plus £1.50 parking.
 Dad's Army. - CGNorwich
Saw it this afternoon. Disappointing. Some good acting but basically you come out of the cinema wondering what was the point. Some of the scenes at a bit contrived. The opening one with the bull was frankly embarrassingly bad. If you like DA then watch it on TV. The original did it perfectly. The film has nothing to add.

If you haven't seen "The Revenant" yet spend your money on that instead
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sat 6 Feb 16 at 23:18
 Dad's Army. - zippy
I will be going, I am a big fan!

Reviewers - hmpf - "They don't like it up'em!"
 Dad's Army. - Fullchat
Went to see it last night. Enjoyed it as it was filmed locally around the Bridlington / Flamborough / Beverley area. I have to say though I didn't think it was much different from any of the episodes played on TV watched and enjoyed during my teens.

Did see Spotlight last week which was about the exposure by a special team of reporters of the cover up by the Catholic Church of widespread abuse by Priests in the Boston area. No CGI and special effects but the big screen brought you into the meetings and enquiries in a clever way.
 Dad's Army. - Manatee
The docu-drama "the Dad's Army Story" shown on TV before Christmas and watched by me last week, was very entertaining. In it, Arthur Lowe and Lowe as Captain Mainwaring were played by John Sessions.

Without any criticism of Toby Jones, Sessions was uncanny as Lowe/Mainwaring. Jones was less like Lowe in the film, based only on the clips I've seen.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 7 Feb 16 at 12:57
 Dad's Army. - WillDeBeest
But Jones didn't need to be like Lowe, only a credible Mainwaring. Sessions was playing Lowe, not Mainwaring. Different tasks requiring different approaches.
 Dad's Army. - Haywain
Went to see it yesterday afternoon - alas, as much as I wanted to be impressed and to love it, it failed dismally IMHO. I am something of a fan of the television series, and I tried hard not to be dogmatic, but I'm afraid the writing for the film was most definitely not up to the Croft & Perry standard.

Before seeing the film, I had wondered about whether or not to drag my father out to see it. He was not only a fan of the tv series, he was in the cast of the 1943 version - the original. At 18, he was one of the younger members of his platoon; his day job was down the coal-mine.

A couple of years ago, we took dad to the Dad's Army museum in Thetford - now a shrine for the devotees. He was delighted to be acknowledged as 'one of the real ones'. As the museum is run entirely by volunteers, it's worth checking the website for opening times.
 Dad's Army. - legacylad
Humorous film drift.... I downloaded ' Man Up' a 2015 film featuring Simon Pegg & Lake Bell. Brought it overseas with me and all friends I visted here really enjoyed it. Worth renting on iTunes or similar.
 Dad's Army. - Alanovich
I've seen a few clips of the film on TV, and done a bit of a double take. I seem to think I have spotted St George's crosses in the film alongside Union Flags. Now, all the WWII footage I've ever seen has shown not a single St G cross. Even when you see footage of the 1966 World Cup you only ever see UFs.

I know I wasn't there, so is it the case that the St G cross was never seen in those days and this new film is rewriting history a bit, pandering to modern trends?

Either way, name drop time. Arthur Lowe was a childhood friend of my grandmother's, I met him once when he was in our town doing a play.

Dad's Army. - Armel Coussine
I quite liked it when it was on TV although I wouldn't be so keen now I'm old and curmudgeonly.

But spinoff films from TV series are nearly always naff.
 Dad's Army. - Alanovich
Kevin and Perry Go Large was a good one, AC.

But very much of its time and aimed at people of my vintage. Still makes me snigger.
 Dad's Army. - Armel Coussine
>> Kevin and Perry Go Large was a good one

Can't remember a thing about it, except that it was indeed amusing.

Latest Forum Posts