Non-motoring > Wrods Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Aretas Replies: 29

Wrods - Aretas
Cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
 Wrods - Dog
>>Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Yuo adn me boht gvu'nor.
 Wrods - Old Navy
There must be a few disappointed pedants around. Are pedants exclusive to the English language?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 1 Feb 16 at 19:45
 Wrods - Crankcase
Do you mean "does only the English language attract the interest of pedants?"?
Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 1 Feb 16 at 20:10
 Wrods - Old Navy
If you care that much it can mean whatever you like.
 Wrods - Crankcase
Just following the spirit, old chap.
 Wrods - WillDeBeest
Yes, the mind can make out the message even if the medium is poor, but that doesn't mean it's OK to make it so. Think of a CD player as an analogy: it has error correction circuits that can fill in for missing or misread data, but we can still hear them working and a CD that requires a lot of error correction will always be less pleasant to listen to than a clean one that gives a near-perfect read.

Or to put it another way, by writing sloppily you may not lose your message but you may lose the goodwill of your readers by making them make the decoding effort a less selfish writer might have made for them.
 Wrods - Focusless
Looks like one of Zero's posts.

Good series on the brain running on BBC4 at the moment covering this sort of thing (only seen the 1st episode):
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06yjrdp
 Wrods - Focusless
>> Good series on the brain running on BBC4 at the moment covering this sort of
>> thing (only seen the 1st episode):

Excerpt from last night's programme - amazing kid stacking cups:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nhRPVWM9A0

Programme showed he was doing it pretty much unconsciously - it was all about conscious and unconscious actions, and how much of what we do (including driving) is actually the latter.
 Wrods - Dog
>>I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Check this one out then ... I got 'em all correct, which (I think) is amazing, considering I hardly ever went to school, let alone uni or college like you lot ;)

en.what-character-are-you.com/d/en/761/0.html
 Wrods - Cliff Pope
Another interesting brain-feat is the ability to read writing even when the top half of all the letters have been cut off.
Or is it the bottom? It's something peculiar to the way a particular language works, as to which part of the letter carries the unique or even approximate information needed for identification.

You have to admire experts who can decipher damaged parts of badly-written ancient languages scratched on stones.
 Wrods - Alanovich
>> damaged parts of badly-written ancient languages scratched
>> on stones.

Been reading the UKIP manifesto again??

;-)
 Wrods - WillDeBeest
Not sure toilet walls count as anthropological sources.
 Wrods - CGNorwich
I suspect you read a lot Dog, which is I believe the key to being able to spell.
 Wrods - Dog
I read a lot on here CG :)

Thinking about that spelling test ya know, I reckon it worked (for me) in the same way as the jumbled up text Aretas posted because if asked to actually spell those words, I'd likely get many/most of them wrong.
 Wrods - CGNorwich
I think you are right. When you read you take in the shape of the world, not the component letters. It is easy to see the shape of the word is right or wrong, less easy to spell it out.
 Wrods - Dog
My wife got 21/22 in that test - she reads *a lot* and always has done, plus she's a practice manager (solicitors)
 Wrods - Manatee
There's something wrong with the marking on that test - I know I got them all right and it gave me 20/22. Yankee spelling probably.
 Wrods - WillDeBeest
Yep, something wrong but can't work out what. Tried 'license' instead of 'licence' but it didn't help. And 'judgement' and 'judgment' are interchangeable (as even iOS Autocorrect seems to know) so not a good test.

edit: One last try with 'licence' and 'judgement' got me up to 22. Now for something useful.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Tue 2 Feb 16 at 13:29
 Wrods - Crankcase
Had an email exchange with a US based supplier last week, and as the mails went on it was evident that whilst I was determined to license my licence, he wanted to license my license.

Wrods - No FM2R
>> 'licence

Yet I got 22/22 with 'license'.
 Wrods - Armel Coussine
I've just got the car stuck nose down in some slippery mud off our drive, because I got out of the way of a huge truck that had just been delivering something to the cousins.

I've been saying a few wrods ever since. Mostly the same two or three wrods.
 Wrods - Armel Coussine
>> got the car stuck nose down in some slippery mud off our drive,

A cousin has pulled it out backwards with his big Peugeot estate which has a serious towhook, and he carries a chain and a towrope.

Thanks be... the flash wheels are a bit muddy. Perhaps it will rain soon.
 Wrods - Alanovich
>> >> big Peugeot estate

Old one? Rare beast these days.
 Wrods - Armel Coussine
>> >> Peugeot estate

>> Old one? Rare beast these days.

No, not a 504 or 505, something much more recent. Not as big as those, but with a diesel that can pull.
 Wrods - Dog
And I got 22/22 wiv 'millenium'
 Wrods - WillDeBeest
Probably the most numerous signwritten spelling error since 'accomodation'.
 Wrods - Clk Sec
>>I know I got them all right and it gave me 20/22.

Same here.
 Wrods - Ted

Same here...20. I suspect licence and judgement as well.
 Wrods - T junction
Which is why typing in all capitals is frowned on as it is harder to read, all the words are just rectangles.
Latest Forum Posts