Non-motoring > Grassed Miscellaneous
Thread Author: - Replies: 27

Grassed - -
Son and i went on a tank driving session at the weekend, great fun.

I'm insured on his Scooby and he wanted me to try it out on the way back as it's now running roughly 270bhp at the wheels, so it's not sluggish.

I thoroughly enjoyed the drive, my driving is more sympathetic than his but i enjoyed the considerable urge of the thing, the overtaking capability is astounding together with it's limpet like handling.

Now later in the day, swmbo and i were talking about something and she let it slip about my test drive, she was with my barmy daughter too when he dropped me in it...he's grassed me right up the blighter.

I need to be able to piously tell them off about their driving when the need arises and he's scuppered my holier than thou routine.

I need suggestions for damage limitation gentlemen, revenge is already in the making.
 Grassed - Runfer D'Hills
Think you are probably bang to rights old chap. Sorry and all. No particular hiding place on this one other than risking pointing out that you might just be a touch more experienced than either of them when it comes to motor vehicles but I'd maybe save that for another day.......

As for your son. Well, get him to give you a lift into town to the family solicitors. Ask him to wait outside while you just nip in. When he asks why, just mutter something about a minor change to the will................
 Grassed - Zero
sorry, not sure what damage has been done here? about your quick scooby driving?
 Grassed - -
>> sorry, not sure what damage has been done here? about your quick scooby driving?
>>

Trouble is Z when i pontificate large about their appalling driving for the next decade they'll both trot this episode out.

Cheers Navy that's one noted, and Humps revenge suggestion has the ring of fun about it but i thought he'd have a canny answer ready for the hypocrisy charge.
 Grassed - Zero
Well here is a practical example.

My son has just copped a speeding charge ( 53 mph in a 30 mph, on a deserted road at 01:30)

I told him he is a DH.

He said to me, "well you speed"

My reply? "I do, but I dont get caught - thats what makes me a better driver"

Grassed - Old Navy
>> My reply? "I do, but I dont get caught - thats what makes me a
>> better driver"
>>
>>
Nice one Z. Better hope you don't get done, you will never hear the end of it.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 26 Jul 10 at 20:53
 Grassed - Zero
Yup, I will never live it down if i do.
 Grassed - -

>> My reply? "I do, but I dont get caught - thats what makes me a
>> better driver"

Ah i dare not utter such a phrase, all the fates, gods and luck will make sure i eat them within minutes.

Example, my lad was trying to negotiate his truck out of some hellish area peppered with weight limits, low bridges, width restrictions etc, chuckling i told him my favourite line...'could be worse could have been me'...10 seconds later i took a wrong turning and ended up on a 15 mile section of motorway and had to travel that and return...doh.
 Grassed - RichardW
>My reply? "I do, but I dont get caught - thats what makes me a better driver"

I'm sure I remember something about a Goona, a bus, and nine points.....:-) No speeding though, to be fair....!

Grassed - Zero
I got caught cos the goona wouldnt make a getaway.
 Grassed - Zero
>> Well here is a practical example.
>>
>> My son has just copped a speeding charge ( 53 mph in a 30 mph,
>> on a deserted road at 01:30)

And the dreaded letter from Thames Valley police dropped through the letterbox today..... He has been given the chance to go to naughty young drivers school instead of points and fine.

Costs 90 quid, but he is relieved and realises he is lucky. Just got his insurance down to 850 quid as well, so that is safe.
 Grassed - -

>> Costs 90 quid, but he is relieved and realises he is lucky. Just got his
>> insurance down to 850 quid as well, so that is safe.
>>

Does he need to declare this anyway Z, either way i'm pleased for the lad and surprised bearing in mind the speed even at that time of day.
 Grassed - Zero
I dont think he does have to declare it. Both he and I are suprised, clearly he passed the attitude test at the time with flying colours, and everything else was in order, Mot, Insurance, tax, tyres etc.

He knows he is lucky, I wont let him forget it, and he knows he wont get the offer again.
 Grassed - Armel Coussine
>> I wont let him forget it, and he knows he wont get the offer again.

No doubt it will encourage you to keep your own nose extra clean too Zero... hard luck, I don't envy you that.

:o}
 Grassed - BiggerBadderDave
"clearly he passed the attitude test at the time with flying colours"

Waddya know - the apple does fall far from the tree after all.
 Grassed - Zero
You should see some of the offences I talked my way out of.
 Grassed - BiggerBadderDave
I do not want to know about your dalliances on Hampstead Heath, thank you.
 Grassed - Old Navy
Tell them you were just honing your skills so that your advice to them is accurate.

Don't mention my name, I will deny all knowledge, and I will not be responsible for any injuries you sustain. :-)
 Grassed - Runfer D'Hills
Oddly enough a pal who's a Sergeant in Northamptonshire Traffic Division was only telling me last night that he'd had to give up on trying to pull a lairy old geezer in a Scooby this weekend. Couldn't keep up he reckoned. On his case now though........says he'd know him anywhere......

:-)
 Grassed - Armel Coussine
Tell them what I tell my grandchildren when they repeat the unsuitable remarks I so often accidentally let drop in front of them: look, it's OK for a horrible old drunk man to behave like that but young ladies shouldn't do it, all right?
 Grassed - swiss tony
How about...

'I was just giving the car a decent run, using the skills I have developed over many years, and many vehicles, to confirm the Scooby is in fact a safe, responsive, and over all suitable vehicle, for my son to be using'
 Grassed - corax
Just accept it GB, that cast iron reputation is finished for ever, and ever. Amen...
 Grassed - -
SWMBO is enjoying all this and the comments, she knows what i'm really like, it was my daughter who seemed amazed that the old fool could still do it.

Kids, they know nothing.

Grassed - Zero
Pah, what do the girls know.
 Grassed - MD
Youth is wasted on the young.
 Grassed - Tooslow
You're not giving much away g but I suggest the best tactic is to play up to it. After all you were taught that move by Richard Burns or Gwndaf Evans got past you one time with that move and you remember when you were up against... ;-)

JH
 Grassed - Dave_
About a year after passing my test, I had to give my old man a lift to his office one Sunday to collect a pool car for a long journey he had to make the following morning. I drove him there (about 8 miles, mostly on rural A- and B-roads) in my MkII Cavalier 1.6 at a sensible speed, with my driving skills and technique under intense scrutiny the whole way.

After checking the pool car started ok, I left him checking its tyre pressures and so on while I headed for home. I had an absolute blat of a run home, pulling a few deft overtakes, vastly exceeding the speed limits and not getting held up at all - I arrived home with a huge grin on my face at one of the most exhilarating thrashes I had yet had. Then, before I'd even taken my seatbelt off, dad pootled into view in my mirrors, looking for all the world as though he hadn't been over 30mph the whole way back. :-)
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Wed 28 Jul 10 at 20:10
 Grassed - -
, looking for all the world
>> as though he hadn't been over 30mph the whole way back. :-)
>>

enjoyed that D, them young uns need to be shown a thing or two now and agin.
Latest Forum Posts