Non-motoring > Something to make Pat smile.... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stuartli Replies: 9

Something to make Pat smile.... - Stuartli
Hope this brings a grin to Pat's face...:-)

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3414417/Is-Britain-s-frugal-pensioner.html
 Something to make Pat smile.... - MD
Good on her. Hope she continues to do ok. A friend of mine who doesn't need to watch the pennies buys a lot of his food after 20.00 on his way home from wherever. Some of the prices he pays would make even IIona shudder. I admire him and he NEVER goes without.
Never been averse to picking up a bargain for teatime at the Reduced counter - way of life when you are a widower as everything seems to be geared for larger quantities normally...:-(
 Something to make Pat smile.... - Pat
Thanks Stuartli, that was a lovely blast from the past.

I know, or knew Illona very well, she was from Coalville side of Leicester and I was from Rutland side all those 35+ years ago when I started out as a lorry driver.

She made it a couple of years before I did and was always my hero(ine), while I was struggling to achieve the dream.

As the years passed we were the only two around that area and people always called us both 'that' woman lorry driver and thought we were one and the same.

She hasn't changed much and I see she's still wearing here uniform trousers now!

I didn't know she'd moved to Scunthorpe though.

She worked for Econofreight and used to do abnormal loads.

Pat

Something to make Pat smile.... - Zero
>> used to do abnormal loads.

BBD around?
>>I know, or knew Illona very well>>

It's a small world, as we say in my town. Population of around 93,000, yet virtually everyone knows everyone for one reason or another, no matter how tenuous the links...:-)
Last edited by: Stuartli on Mon 25 Jan 16 at 11:50
 Something to make Pat smile.... - Old Navy
We were recently in the Maldives, the travel company rep there lives about two miles from us and we had a couple of mutual friends. Some years ago we were on the top of a mountain in Canada with a ski guided small group and one of the group lived about four miles from us, small world indeed.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 25 Jan 16 at 12:42
 Something to make Pat smile.... - rtj70
A slightly different version of 'it's a small world'. And perhaps there was always the possibility I'd bump into the couple again.

In 1999 I was on Maui and went on an organised mini-bus tour of the east of the island. I was sat next to an English couple. In a few days they were heading home via New York. About 5 days later I also went to New York. On the day I visited Liberty Island, as I was walking to get back on to the ferry, I bumped into the same couple who'd just got onto Liberty Island. What were the odds I wonder?

Maybe the odds were a lot less with us all being tourists and likely to do the tourist things.
An update to the original story for Pat:

tinyurl.com/hhnoocx
 Something to make Pat smile.... - Pat
Thanks Stuart!

Two observations though....no wonder she never got married and....

>>(‘You can have a perfectly good wash-down with two kettles of water’)<<

She's a lightweight:) I did it on one kettle of water in a lorry cab nightly for years before they woke up to providing women's showers.

Makes me sorta glad we lost touch now.

Pat
Latest Forum Posts