Non-motoring > As Seen on TV - Volume 13   [Read only]
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 89

As Seen on TV - Volume 13 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 14 *****

==============================================================

A place to discuss what's on TV that might be of interest to others. (exc. Top Gear, F1, for example - which have threads of their own)

Volume 1
Volume 2
Volume 3
Volume 4
Volume 5
Volume 6
Volume 7
Volume 8
Volume 9
Volume 10
Volume 11
Volume 12

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 24 Jun 16 at 01:17

Occupied - R.P.
Sky Arts - excellent Norwegian "future history" stuff. US has pulled out of NATO some lefty PM wants to stop oil production to save the planet, and the Russians invade..

Occupied - Alanovich
Oh yeah. Saw episode 1 and forgot it was on again last night. Hopefully I remembered to series link it on the Sky box.

Good show going by the first episode.

Occupied - Zero
sounds good

Occupied - R.P.
Episode 2 was very good. Understated but with an underlying menace....looks very real when you think about the Ukraine.

Occupied - zippy
Occupied is very watchable.

I would also recommend Deutschland 83 which is on Channel 4 which goes back to the tensions between the East and West in the early 80's, specifically between East and West Germany.

Occupied - sooty123
I've been watching D83 as well very good.

Occupied - zippy
If you like back to the past dramas The Americans on ITV is very watchable (warning - can be rude).

I also really enjoyed Halt and Catch Fire on Amazon (and probably others) about developing the first PC compatibles to compete with IBM. It is very much a drama and not only for techies. The feel of the early 80's is very good.
Last edited by: zippy on Fri 22 Jan 16 at 17:51

World War Three - Dog
Strong stuff!!

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06zw32h/this-world-world-war-three-inside-the-war-room

www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2016/02/03/world-war-three-inside-the-war-room-bbc-two-review-gripping/

Stag,,,, - R.P.
Anybody been watching this....out breaking the bad, out walking the dead. Brilliant British telly. BBC - catch it on iPlayer.

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p03gzctm/preview-stag-trailer-short

Stag,,,, - bathtub tom
I enjoyed the first two episodes, but SWMBO's a little confused by it.

Stag,,,, - Manatee
We watched about 20 minutes of the first one and then switched to something more cheerful. Will probably revisit it at some point, I think we have recorded them all.

We've been quite gripped by Trapped.

Stag,,,, - R.P.
Will have a look at that...

Stag,,,, - rtj70
First two episodes of Trapped seen here. Don't they do a good job to Iceland look like a place to visit in the depth of winter. Not! As in the weather looks like you'd be mad to live there.

Stag,,,, - smokie
Yeah I can't wait for the concluding episode of Stag next weekend, watched the first two this weekend. It almost go the elbow 15 minutes in as SWMBO thought it rubbish, but then got hooked.

Stag,,,, - Clk Sec
I wasn't going to bother recording Stag, but I'm glad I did. An excellent series.

Sport Relief Hell on High Seas - legacylad
Lucky lucky sods. Five days on a racing yacht with world class crew to show you the ropes. I would pay a lot of money for an experience like that.
A friend of mine has the qualifications enabling him to bare boat charter... Last time we went we sailed from Largs in October for 5 days. Fabulous fun. awful weather with sideways rain & spray. Being at sea was better than being onshore at Largs though....

Sport Relief Hell on High Seas - Manatee
Good ice cream parlour in Largs.

www.nardinis.co.uk/icecream.html

Last time I went it was shut!

Sport Relief Hell on High Seas - legacylad
Trust me, ice cream was the last thing you wanted on a day when the rain was lashing down. As for the pubs... We retreated to the Yacht Club then sat below decks playing doms before we dared venture out to sea.
Dare say the sailing is glorious in those parts, weather permitting.

Guy Martin / David Coulthard - Runfer D'Hills
Ch4 9.00

Might be alright. Guy Martin on a bike and David Coulthard in an F1 car have a race.

Soon...

Guy Martin / David Coulthard - R.P.
Recorded.

Guy Martin / David Coulthard - bathtub tom
I suspect that knowing how boring this season's F1's going to be they thought they'd do this to hype it up.

Guy Martin / David Coulthard - Zero
As a serious comparison F1 vs Superbike, it was always a forgone conclusion. As a slice of entertainment, DC and GM is a dream pairing. Clearly they need to put these two together for other motor sport speed stuff. Add martin brundle to the mix and They would make a fantastic TG team

Guy Martin / David Coulthard - R.P.
I said as much whilst we watched it last night. Well made entertainment. GM is good value. He's an ace rider as well. Very good programme.

Guy Martin / David Coulthard - Slidingpillar
Agreed, enjoyed watching the programme, but as a foregone conclusion it was one. Did you notice it was fiddled to make the drag race closer as the F1 car was on wets, not slicks?

The Night Manager - smokie
Last one in Series 1 tomorrow. Brilliant TV, based on a Le Carre novel. Not surprising really at £3m per episode!

The Night Manager - R.P.
Hope its going to be on iPlayer as a box set...

The Night Manager - zippy
>>at £3m per episode!

Ouch!

Very good series though and some good acting though I have a sneaking suspicion that Hugh Laurie is just playing himself!

The Night Manager - Zero
>> >>at £3m per episode!

Not surprised, its very glossy with very high production vales. Fortunately the plot, script and acting has lived up to it.

The Night Manager - rtj70
It's been on iPlayer. Episode one now removed and episode two goes on Tuesday.

Which is why, after we didn't record episode one from the Sky box I grabbed the episodes (note not downloaded in iPlayer as they would expire before we watched them).

The Night Manager - R.P.
Have to pay 1.89 for episode one. Fair enough I suppose. Wife working tonight so I'll boxset some of them before they vanish.

If you download using the iPlayer application, they will expire. On a Mac I use Get iPlayer Automator. Episodes are about 1GB in 720P HD. I could send that file to you if you want it.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 26 Mar 16 at 16:26

The Night Manager - R.P.
Thanks ! Send iit to my mod address..!

Doubt you'd get a Gb in email!! maybe Dropbox or something...?

No it can't be emailed. I could setup a share somewhere for you to download it. Maybe when I have all six episodes.

These will be MPEG4 H264 Flash files as downloaded from iPlayer.

The Night Manager - R.P.
Ok Thanks...

We tend to watch these multi-part series once they've finished or near to finishing. We do not like waiting 7 days for the next episode. And worse is watching multiple series over a long time period. So we watch all of one and move on. Well try to.

Usually we record on the Sky box but we missed the first of these. And downloads on Sky eventually expire unlike recorded programmes.

I'll try to sort something out for you though... just need to find 5 minutes. I'll probably just create a share locally. You should be able to download most of the episodes. I'd use the application on the Mac like I suggested - set it to try to grab HD format as a preference.

The Night Manager - R.P.
Don't worry, resolved to spending the 1.89 on the first episode and I'll watch the others tonight and tomorrow...

The Night Manager - Zero
>> Don't worry, resolved to spending the 1.89 on the first episode and I'll watch the
>> others tonight and tomorrow...

Its money well spent

The Night Manager - Ian (Cape Town)
I've stacked them up for watching as well.. all of torrent sites, mind...

>> We tend to watch these multi-part series once they've finished or near to finishing. We
>> do not like waiting 7 days for the next episode.

I'm stuck with that at present, watching Vinyl.

The Night Manager - R.P.
Watched Ep 1. As advertised - well made and well acted. Brilliant. Downloading the others now

The Night Manager - Duncan
>> Watched Ep 1. As advertised - well made and well acted. Brilliant. Downloading the others
>> now

I think it goes downhill.

The script and plot get, well, let's see if you agree with me.

Opposite for me, I didn't really get into episode 1 but SWMBO did so we watched 2 and I was hooked. (We missed recording E1, and catch up, and I could only find E1 on some small-windowed poor quality Youtube feed.)

Dear smokie...
go and look at the broadband speed thread... my conversation with MD.

I think you may find something of interest...

Yes, thanks Ian, I did spot that earlier, most useful and has been noted :-)

under your hat, and all that.
a very useful site (especially here, where our TV is pi$$-poor - even on satellite)

The Night Manager - Manatee
The DVD is already on Amazon.
 The Night Manager - Roger.
........and on eztv, via torrents.

To go with the torrent downloads for we who are mutt & jeff

www.addic7ed.com/show/5686

The Night Manager - R.P.
Zero (in particular).....did you notice on the shopping list of weapons that there was an "Avro Vulcan Jet" ?

Wouldn't have picked that particular bike for the hero's transport....that should have been either a Brough Superior or a BMW GS.

The Night Manager - Zero
>> Zero (in particular).....did you notice on the shopping list of weapons that there was an
>> "Avro Vulcan Jet" ?
>>

Me and the wife both looked at each other at that item!

The Night Manager - R.P.
Possibly what the Americans call an "Easter Egg"

The Night Manager - R.P.
Clearly produced for the US market...."Devon, England" and "Madrid, Spain"...

The Night Manager - Zero
I kind of assumed it was in the original book (its very early 1990's vintage) when there were a few knocking about, and they left it in as a jokey reference to its least season

Yeah, an easter egg

Le Carre makes a fleeting appearance too, it'd be lost on me cos I 've no idea what he looks like.

Le Carre is apparently the diner in the restaurant whose meal is interrupted by the Corky issue.
 The Night Manager - R.P.
Another little easter egg....brilliant acting the Corky part.

An Easter Egg in a film I watched/endured recently was a Captain America/Marvel one (Winter Soldier?). The character played by Samuel L Jackson was 'killed off'. At the cemetery there was his headstone with part of the he infamous lines he says in Pulp Fiction. The righteous man quote if you know it (Ezekiel 25:17).

Spotted the reference straightaway. :-) How sad's that.... not as bad as watching a Marvel movie I suppose.

A Vincent Black Shadow would do!

Really?
He's trying to stay incognito - having the AA or RAC out every 5 minutes to fix it would be a bad idea!

The Night Manager - R.P.
But on a Bonnie ! He's not exactly what GS riders called "tosser" size but a Bonnie !!
Last edited by: R.P. on Sun 27 Mar 16 at 11:41

The Night Manager - Zero
>> .*********
>> a Bonnie !!

A bonnie is a perfect size motorcycle. Only bikers with small willies can crouch over too much tank stuffed in your crutch

The Night Manager - Ted

>> A bonnie is a perfect size motorcycle. Only bikers with small willies can crouch over
>> too much tank stuffed in your crutch
>>

Thanks Z....my FJS600 doesn't have a tank in the way................now, where's that tape measure ?

The Night Manager - R.P.
Hahahaha...:-)

The Night Manager - Duncan
Hmmm.

Well, too easy and too unbelievable - for me.

The Night Manager - Zero
the ending could have been a little darker.

The Night Manager - Runfer D'Hills
I think they've left it open. Roper could make another deal etc...

Maigret - Ted

Looking forrard to see what Rowan Atkinson makes of the detective on Monday.

Can't help thinking of a French Blackadder though !

Maigret - smokie
.. or Mr Bean...

Maigret - Zero
>>
>> Looking forrard to see what Rowan Atkinson makes of the detective on Monday.

I'm not. Apparently its terribly soporific, and even Mr Atkinson can't comment favourably about his performance.

Maigret - Crankcase
I sometimes wonder if it's possible to be more out of step with the rest of the world.

This evening, we have tried to watch Princess Kaguya. All the reviews tell us this is the most wonderful film that's ever come out of Japan. It has a good heritage. We like Studio Ghibli stuff. What could go wrong?

It was utterly terrible. For the second time in a couple of weeks, a film abandoned.

So, back to this thread. We've just watched the Maigret from last week instead.

Loved it. We thought it was really well done, we liked Rowan in the role, and thought his understated performance was brilliant. Good gripping story, great scenery. What's not to like?

Then I read the reviews. Panned from here to kingdom come. I bet they never show the second one. Shame.

Maigret - Ted

What do the critics know ? Me and 'er just loved the Maigret, Atkinson was just right for the role and the locations, filmed in Budapest, and atmosphere were perfect.

It was entertainment , after all !

Maigret - Zero
It was dire! Mrs zee and I gave it a good attempt but had to abandon it after 30 minutes. As for Atkinson's performance it was every bit as muddled as he admitted it was

Deservedly it will not see the light of day again

Line of duty - helicopter
Missed the first two series but was very impressed with the first episode of series three......Daniel Mays is excellent...

Recommended...

Line of duty - Clk Sec
>>Daniel Mays is excellent...
>> Recommended...
>>

Watched it last night. Very good indeed.

Line of duty - Zero
I found that one to be completely over the top, so far over to be laughable.

Line of duty - R.P.
And me. Daft plot.

Guy Martin - wall of death record - Focusless
Anyone else see this last night? (apologies for the Wail link)

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3513491/How-bear-watch-Daredevil-Guy-Martin-smashes-Wall-Death-record-live-TV-viewers-Twitter-say-feel-sorry-GIRLFRIEND.html

Did look pretty scary, and I'm a bit surprised they did it live. He's a brave* lad, as I think we already know. Doing 78mph can't be that easy on a a track consisting of planks of wood about 15ft(?) wide, especially when said planks are vertical. Didn't they estimate he was pulling about 5g?

* just noticed that the article states he's been diagnosed with Aspergers

Guy Martin - wall of death record - tyrednemotional
>>
>> * just noticed that the article states he's been diagnosed with Aspergers
>>

....Guy Martin is Fluffy :-)

Guy Martin - wall of death record - R.P.
And great telly it was. Guy a classic British "tryer"....we need more people like that, Aspergers or not.

Guy Martin - wall of death record - bathtub tom
Loved David Coulthard's comment at the end about him having balls of steel, as visible due to the tightness of his leathers!

Vinyl - Ian (Cape Town)
No, nothing to do with fluffy.

Have you chaps got this in the UK yet?
Still trying to get my head around it, but entertaining nonetheless... and the soundtrack is pretty good.

James May and a lawnmower - Crankcase
Did anyone watch the Reassemblers programme last night? He had to entirely reassemble a lawnmower from its component parts, and..um..well, that was it.

I started thinking it was going to be fun, moved to disbelief this ever got made into a programme, discovered it appealed strongly to my ASMR predilictions, moved into a soporific state, and ended thinking it was a great bit of tv only the BBC would have put on.

Liked it, but it's a real Marmite of a programme. Another one tonight, and tomorrow too.

James May and a lawnmower - Alastairw
Just watched it. Slight hint of Wheeler Dealers in the Ed reassembling an engine kind of way. An enjoyable half hour.

James May and a lawnmower - WillDeBeest
Very odd. To his credit, May makes it work better than anyone else I can imagine trying it. Still not sure it does work, though.

James May and a lawnmower - Bromptonaut
>> Did anyone watch the Reassemblers programme last night? He had to entirely reassemble a lawnmower
>> from its component parts, and..um..well, that was it.

His ultimate challenge is a Sturmey Archer Sprinter 5 speed hub gear :-P

James May and a lawnmower - R.P.
May was doing it because Channel 4 have Guy Martin. Now he would have made it interesting. Bit of a paint drier. He was wearing a version of my winter biking jumper. That was the interesting bit.

James May and a lawnmower - Old Navy
I stripped, repaired, and reassembled my pressure washer. No bits left over, and it works. I can't imagine anyone wanting to watch me, there would be many breaks for coffee and it's subsequent disposal.

Channel 5 now in HD on freeview - Focusless
At long last! All your favourite programmes now available in high res :)

Freeview ch 105 unsurprisingly. And actually it's been there since May 4th apparently.

Channel 5 now in HD on freeview - Dog
>>Freeview ch 105 unsurprisingly.

ditto Freesat = S'good.

Latest Forum Posts