Non-motoring > Directory Enquiries - cheapest Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 19

Directory Enquiries - cheapest - BobbyG
Is there a definitive "cheapest" directory enquiries number to phone from a BT line and only request the one phone number and not want to be "put through"

Just looking at one of my shops' phone bills and a call to 118888 was £2.49 although that may have been "put through".

Would be handy to tell them all to use the one number if I knew it was cheapest
Think I may have answered my own query:

www.awea59.dsl.pipex.com/

Directory Enquiries - cheapest - Falkirk Bairn
BTexchanges.com
192.com
saynoto0870.co.uk

Lots of online places with phone numbers for free..........................

Cannot remember paing for Directory Enquiries since BT gave up their exclusive rights/monopoly to number enquiries
 Directory Enquiries - cheapest - Bellboy
best thing ever invented was the internet for finding business numbers
plus you get a call from somewhere you dont know and you can google the area

someone told me it was something like a minimum charge of 50 new pence to use a phone box these days
sooner the monoply of bt is disbanded the better
did i say i hate bt? they are putting charges up 10% in september
glad i pay my phone charges to good ole orange at work here so bt just get the robbin standard charge
 Directory Enquiries - cheapest - Clk Sec
It's that additional charge they levy on those of us who won't entertain their direct debit that gets up my nose.
 Directory Enquiries - cheapest - paulb
>> It's that additional charge they levy on those of us who won't entertain their direct
>> debit that gets up my nose.
>>

Following a CEO-level complaint about some particularly egregious incompetence on their part when we moved to our current place (which I might add was very well handled), we ended up with a fairly substantial (>£150)credit on our account.

The cheeky swine then proceeded to charge us the "not paying by DD" penalty for using up money of ours that they already had!

We thought about making another complaint but decided it simply wasn't worth the aggravation for a total of about £20 over a 15-month period (we had a deal of other stuff going on at the time).

And that, friends, is how they make their money...
 Directory Enquiries - cheapest - Zero
>> It's that additional charge they levy on those of us who won't entertain their direct
>> debit that gets up my nose.

then pay by DD.
 Directory Enquiries - cheapest - rtj70
>> something like a minimum charge of 50 new pence to use a phone box these days

I think it went up to 60p. I remember when it was 2p.

BT would love to get rid of the costly to maintain and rarely used phone boxes... but they are not allowed to.
When I were a lad it were 4d...
when i were a lad it was free coz you removed the cloth you had secreted up the change tunnel and then pressed button b
a bit like only buying beech nut chewing gum when thee arrow pointed to the wall so you got a packet free
Some dishonest lads would simply tap out the number and get their local calls for free. Not me, of course. I paid my 4d.
 Directory Enquiries - cheapest - Perky Penguin
I think it IS 60p but that gives you a 20 minute local call - who needs that much talk time? BT are closing call boxes as they say they cost £1000 a year to 'run'! How can that be? All the remote country ones I have seen don't take cash - you need a card. A lot of them smell like public conveniences so there is minimal maintenance being done.
>>BTexchanges.com
192.com
saynoto0870.co.uk

Lots of online places with phone numbers for free..........................

You are assuming that my shops have access to the internet, which they don't, thus the query!!
when i worked for charles chlore we had to write down the number /time/reason for the call/length
that way your district manager could tell who was swinging the lead on the phone
 Directory Enquiries - cheapest - FotheringtonTomas
ISTR a disc being available with the 'phone numbers on.
 Directory Enquiries - cheapest - -
I'm told that a full size Yale key would operate the 1d coin slots.;)
 Directory Enquiries - cheapest - Iffy
I have tried a few directory inquiry numbers over the years and the service from all has been patchy, bordering on hopeless.

Monopolies are rarely a good thing, but I think the quality of service has declined markedly since other companies were allowed to join the market.

Anyone care to recommend the best one from recent experience?

Directory Enquiries - cheapest - Falkirk Bairn

>>
>> You are assuming that my shops have access to the internet, which they don't, thus
>> the query!!
>>

BobbyG

No Broadband - how do they twitter, update facebook, book their holidays, lay their bets on the 3:30 @ Musselburgh......................... during working hours?

You mean the staff in your shops look after customers and do other work as well!!
I would say they use their mobiles for that but since they are mostly female with an average age of, well, that wouldn't be polite but you get the jist?

their job is to sell what they have
no more no less
the suggestion box for you as district manager should be taken on board and feedback given as serious though
to keep moral high
:-)
next...................
Latest Forum Posts