Non-motoring > Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles - Vol 20 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 30

Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles - Vol 20 - R.P.

Volume 20 - NO CARS :-)

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 16 Jan 16 at 21:17
 Sir Nigel Gresley - Statue - Bromptonaut
Plans to unveil a statue of Sir Nigel Gresley designer of Flying Scotsman and Mallard are disrupted by controversy about the duck at his feet:

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/16/duck-nigel-gresley-statue-row

Thanks to the railway thread over on Cylechat for pointing that out!!
 Sir Nigel Gresley - Statue - R.P.
Bunch of duck-heads....they need to get out more. I think it's rather charming...
 Sir Nigel Gresley - Statue - Armel Coussine
The duck is excellent. What self-important pompous gits the current Gresleys must be.
 Sir Nigel Gresley - Statue - Zero
Its a good job they dont want to paint it. There are a lot of shades of green used in railway terms, and they argue over every single one of them
 Sir Nigel Gresley - Statue - rtj70
Maybe that's why the FS is currently black.
>> Maybe that's why the FS is currently black.

The row about paint colour for the FS is settled, many people killed and maimed along the way. Its to be Apple Green I think,

and then we had the row about its number BR or LNER (It will carry BR), the Smoke deflectors (now on - german style)) and the chimney (double kylechap), the tender (corridor).
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 16 Jan 16 at 20:51
 Sir Nigel Gresley - Statue - Bromptonaut
>> The row about paint colour for the FS is settled, many people killed and maimed
>> along the way. Its to be Apple Green I think,

I'd read it as being another (BR) green, consistent with the BR number.

Apple green appeals for me but only because of childhood memories of Scarborough's North Bay Railway locos 1931 Neptune and 1932 Triton based on LNER Pacific designs.
 Sir Nigel Gresley - Statue - tyrednemotional
...I thought i had read the same, and, though of course the web doesn't always keep up..... the following extract is from the NRM rolling restoration pages:

It is still anticipated the restoration work will be complete by the end of the year. Test runs are expected to take place in late December/early January in black base coat ahead of its final transformation into BR green by Lancashire-based firm Heritage Painting in the Bury workshop of Riley & Son Ltd. The first opportunity to see the locomotive’s latest guise as number 60103 will be February’s London to York inaugural run.
>> ...I thought i had read the same, and, though of course the web doesn't always
>> keep up..... the following extract is from the NRM rolling restoration pages:
>>
>> It is still anticipated the restoration work will be complete by the end of the
>> year. Test runs are expected to take place in late December/early January in black base
>> coat ahead of its final transformation into BR green by Lancashire-based firm Heritage Painting in
>> the Bury workshop of Riley & Son Ltd. The first opportunity to see the locomotive’s
>> latest guise as number 60103 will be February’s London to York inaugural run.

Painting wont be at Bury, it will be at Crewe. The trouble with BR green is it was never standard. It varied from workshop to workshop. (sometimes deliberate cocking a snoop)
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 16 Jan 16 at 21:42
 Sir Nigel Gresley - Statue - Slidingpillar
Shades of 'what is British racing green'!

The true answer is whatever green paint found lying about. I got a brushing equivalent of Bentley brunswick green as that is the colour that Stanley Mann uses. So the trike matches a lot of Crickelwood Bentleys.
 Sir Nigel Gresley - Statue - MD
>> Its a good job they dont want to paint it. There are a lot of
>> shades of green used in railway terms, and they argue over every single one of
>> them
>>
I read that as Railway Terns!

Imo the Duck stays.
 Tornado - tyrednemotional
Caught the train from Thatcham to Newbury on Saturday night.

There were a noticeable number of big and long lenses about, and then I heard someone mention Tornado.

Quick mobile perusal of the web indicated it would be working back to London with a special, and was due to pass Newbury about 5 minutes after we arrived.

We decided we'd hang about to watch, but unfortunately, it was running ahead of schedule, and passed us in-transit.

What glimpse I did catch was impressive, with the loco resplendent in what appeared to be apple green, pulling a full set of "blood and custard".

Disappointed we didn't get a better view.
 Tornado - Zero
Filmed on the fast down that morning

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxD3GLxOg8U
 Choppers - Focusless
I've vowed never to fly in a helicopter - irrational I know - and this wouldn't change my mind:
www.bbc.com/news/technology-35987842
:o
 Choppers - R.P.
Managed to fly buckshee in an Eurocopter, a Wessex and a Sea-King. On holiday in Malta I flew in a MiL 8 passenger helicopter. That was what might call an experience.
 Choppers - Old Navy
For scary you should try being winched onto or off a submarine fin in bad weather. The only other time I have been a bit concerned was in a tiny petrol engined helicopter, I am sure it had a lawnmower engine.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 12 Apr 16 at 21:57
 Boeing 767 low altitude crossing of Irish Sea! - Falkirk Bairn
Wings Clipped!

preview.tinyurl.com/z4guyh7
 Learner bike with a difference - Harleyman
Running back to the yard with the lorry this evening, spotted a slow-ish motorbike just ahead of me with L-plates on; though the fug of two-stroke smoke coming out of the exhaust I could make out a nicely-kept plunger-frame BSA Bantam, in that pale green and cream collour scheme. Plodding along nicely at about 35 mph, braver man than me to learn to ride on one of those contraptions on today's roads. Chapeau!
 Flying Scotsman - Bromptonaut
Serious safety concerns apparently. Too many people lack the insight to recognise a 125mph railway as a dangerous place.

PS could this be kicked over to the trains and boats and planes thread where it belong?
 Flying Scotsman - sherlock47
>>Serious safety concerns apparently. Too many people lack the insight to recognise a 125mph railway as a dangerous place. <<

Just let Darwinism work. Save the Scots a lot of money in the longer term.
 Flying Scotsman. - Old Navy
It's not very secret here, the local rag has the route, which stations will have restricted access, where it will stop, etc.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 10 May 16 at 15:18
 Flying Scotsman. - smokie
I see the Flying Scotsman won't be flying anywhere after all this weekend. Looks like major cock up by Network Rail.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-36290690
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 13 May 16 at 23:28
 Flying Scotsman. - Lygonos
Now un-cocked up.

"The Flying Scotsman will be allowed to run on the Borders Railway and Forth Bridge on Sunday after a climbdown by Network Rail."

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-36292966
 Not a car, train or plane... - Vol 20 - sherlock47
But what I really want to know, is how did they get it there?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzaxwPmvWDo&feature=youtu.be

ON may have some interesting observations, but probably can commit to print!.
 Not a car, train or plane... - Vol 20 - Alastairw
I assume they cut it up then welded it back together on site.
 Not a car, train or plane... - Vol 20 - tyrednemotional
...these two pages might help with that....

www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/moving-giant-sub-b-307-avtovaz-technical-museum.html

Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Sun 15 May 16 at 10:24
Thank you for that link, it looks as though they moved it whole, up a river and then dragged it cross country. Their ancestors probably built Stonehenge.
 Not a car, train or plane... - Vol 20 - Bromptonaut
>> Their ancestors probably built Stonehenge.

Was about to post same analogy!!
Initially I thought of the pyramids, but decided that the blocks were cut off site and then 'welded ' together.
 Not a car, train or plane... - Vol 20 - Old Navy
The Foxtrot class submarines only weigh about 2,000 tons, a small lift and move by oil industry standards. Faslane has a ship lift that will lift over 15,000 tons if I remember correctly.

navynews.co.uk/archive/news/item/7165
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 15 May 16 at 13:07
Latest Forum Posts