Non-motoring > Mower won't go Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dave Replies: 15

Mower won't go - Dave
I have a Stiga mower a few years old. I stopped to move something and now it won't start. It seems I have no spark, or at least it seems so as it's a little difficult to get down to look for a spark and trying to pull the cord at the same time. I disconnected the little microswitch that earths the coil when the lever is let go and that made no difference. The sparkplug looks ok, although it is 2 years old. So how do I check the coil? I put the meter between the plug at the sparkplug end and earth, and I have 6.5K ohms, but not sure if this means anything. Is there any other way to check it?

I put some neat petrol in the cylinder, but still no go. Could it be just a bad spark plug?
 Mower won't go - Runfer D'Hills
You should just have a cup of tea instead Dave. Sometimes fate decrees that sloth is the only real option. I can't wash my car today without preparing a military style succession of buckets so I think I'll just go and put the kettle on.....

:-)
 Mower won't go - teabelly
You need one of those spark plug testers or an assistant! Or just sit down and have a brew. If it suddenly stopped working it may suddenly start again if you leave it alone for a bit :)
 Mower won't go - Iffy
...if you leave it alone for a bit...

Not as daft as it sounds, particularly as the OP put neat petrol in the cylinder.

I'd leave it with the plug out for a while.

Mower won't go - Bellboy
probably something terminal

Mower won't go - Dave
Well I've been having cups of tea and putting off the grass cutting for the last couple of weeks.

Unfortunately the mower shop doesn't open on saturdays, otherwise I could have gone and quizzed them. I did clean and regap the plug before putting petrol in the cylinder. Normally you at least get a phut or two.
 Mower won't go - Bellboy
what kind of mower shop shuts mid sat afternoon?
one near me coins it in this time of year and hes rubbish at repairs,in all the years i lived in this area ive never heard one word of praise for his emporium

must be an ex car dealer eh olD nAvy?
 Mower won't go - Old Navy
You might have a point Delboy, mowers and cars both have engines. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 24 Jul 10 at 14:36
 Mower won't go - sherlock47
There is a difference between 'it stopped when using it' and 'I stopped it for a reason...'

The chances of of a terminal failure occurring at the time at which you stopped it whilst it was running normally is remote. However it will always continue running once running in the event of a marginal condition of spark plug or coil.

Once the petrol has evaporated from the cylinder and the plug is dry, ensure that the carb is primed and give it a good dose of easy start. If you have any sort of spark it will start to run.

Purists hate the stuff, predicting imminent doom and total failure but it will start most baked been cans.
 Mower won't go - Bellboy
i would be very wary of snuffing something that might have reed valves and probably a piston made out of old frys chocolate cream wrappers (the original ones)
 Mower won't go - Dave
"what kind of mower shop shuts mid sat afternoon?"

Ha, welcome to Sweden! Many places actually close for a month at this time of the year. They take their summer holidays (and all others) very seriously here. The guys I buy my aluminium profile from are closed for 2 weeks, and the plastics suppliers for 3. I called in at the BMW/Peugeot/Subaru/Isuzu glass palace last week, and they only have 2 mechanics in over the holidays. Even the local chinky closed for the whole of June. And don't even get me started on the number of places that close for lunch. I couldn't believe it when the local ski centre spent a week making snow, only to close for the next 4 days as it was a bank holiday weekend.

But anyway, the mower started again and ran for a few minutes then died. Definately not fuel as it was instant - not the usual hunting as it ran dry.

I'll try a new plug and quiz them about the magneto in my finest Swedish on monday.
 Mower won't go - devonite
you can test the coil by putting the plug-cap on your finger and then tugging the rope, you`ll soon tell if theres a spark!!!
 Mower won't go - Mike Hannon
Or take the cap off the HT lead and use a bit of Blu Tak to hold the end of the lead against the cylinder head. Do it in the shed with the door shut if you can't see a spark in daylight!
BTW, as in Sweden so in France. Half the time garden machinery places here don't open at all on a Saturday and certainly not on a Sunday. Bonkers...
 Mower won't go - Dave
We're all up and running again. I had to wait a week and a half for a new magneto, for which they relieved me of 215 kronor, or £20 in your funny money.

It seems that Stiga mowers (don't know if they sell them in the UK) now come with chinese engines, instead of the usual Briggs and scrap 'em or tecumseh. As a resultt, spares aren't so readily available. And there was me thinking I was buying a bit of Swedish quality.
 Mower won't go - Bellboy
it will go again
 Mower won't go - -
Stiga do make quality items, i bought a 'snow racer' sledge made by them some 30 years ago, it still glides over the slightest snow on it's 3 (one steerable) ski's.
Latest Forum Posts