Non-motoring > Fish&chips Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 126

Fish&chips - Armel Coussine
Waiting for Herself at the station became fixated on the fish and chip place, temptingly situated near the station just across the A283 or A29, don't care which.

Went down there and got small cod and small chips twice. Herself approved. She doesn't like vinegar - I always forget, but they didn't overdo it fortunately.

Small cod and small chips twice... but you have to think Sussex. The portions were a bit on the big side for us.

The cat showed rather oppressive interest in the fish and when I'd had enough I gave it some, not that it was grateful. If you give it skin or much batter it throws up later all over the place, but I'm wise to that now. Separated out a mingy portion of flaky cod and put that in its bowl. It ate it, then resumed looking at me accusingly.
 Fish&chips - Bobby
>>Small cod and small chips twice

Why do the English* use that phrase? If you went to a bar to order two pints would you say Pint of Lager twice?

*assume its English thing as only ever heard it down south
 Fish&chips - No FM2R
I'd always use "twice" when ordering two identical sets of food.

In fact I do the same in Spanish.

Fish&chips - Runfer D'Hills
It's two fish suppers isn't it Bobby? And as for blinking cod, who wants that? Should be haddock.

They know nothing about fine dining down here.

;-)
 Fish&chips - Slidingpillar
It's two fish suppers isn't it Bobby? And as for blinking cod, who wants that? Should be haddock.

Certainly in Hamilton (near Glasgow), a fish supper is one and a half, or two small bits of fish with chips. No-one asks for fish and chips - except the odd English person. (I did once, and rapidly learnt to act like a local).
 Fish&chips - Bromptonaut
>> *assume its English thing as only ever heard it down south

Certainly northern English, ie widely used in my native West Riding. Sure it's be recognised across the Pennines too.

Rarely buy fish/chips at home. They just don't do them properly south of the Don - or maybe the Trent.

EDIT - Runfer's right about Haddock. Cod is a poor substitute.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 12 Dec 15 at 08:30
Cod is greasy and tasteless mainly, haddock is far more reliable. Ideally quick fried in lard rather than that oily woily stuff.

An old school pal owns a small chain of chip shops in South East Scotland. He was interviewed on the TV some years ago on the subject of traditional fish and chips for a documentary on fast food. His family have owned the business for generations ( originally of Italian extraction ) he studied chemistry at university and while there ran a series of experiments which amusingly enough contributed to his course.

He set out to prove ( and did so successfully ) that quick frying in lard, which can be raised to a much higher frying temperature than oil, leads to a much lower fat absorption by the food than the slower, longer cooking required by frying in the lower temperature, allegedly healthier cooking oil.

Fish&chips - CGNorwich
Cod isn't "greasy" any more than haddock but I would agree that Haddock has the better flavour being slightly sweeter. The original fish for fish and chips in Northern parts was usually Hake.

If you don't eat the skin fried fish is quite healthy.
 Fish&chips - tyrednemotional
>> They just don't do them properly south of the Don

Sheffield? ; the home of the Greasy Chip Butty song?!

===

to the tune of John Denver's Annie's Song:

"You fill up my senses

Like a gallon of Magnet

Like a packet of Woodbine

Like a good pinch of snuff

Like a night out in Sheffield

Like a greasy chip butty

Oh Sheffield United

Come thrill me again,

Nah nah nah nah nah nah oooh,

Nah nah nah nah nah nah oooh oooh."

;-)

===

As a lad I made pocket money "rumbling" potatoes for the local chippy. IMO the secret is the use of a good beef dripping, none of your modern vegetable oil!

Fish&chips - Zero
>> >>Small cod and small chips twice
>>
>> Why do the English* use that phrase? If you went to a bar to order
>> two pints would you say Pint of Lager twice?

because if you say "two small cod and chips" you could end up wit two fish and one chips
 Fish&chips - Manatee
This explains a lot.

Since being an expat, almost every time I have said my order e.g. "big haddock and chips twice" I have had to repeat or explain it.

Always haddock in Halifax, Brighouse, Huddersfield. Can't remember what they had in Bradford.

When I worked as a 16 year old in Fine Fare all day Saturday for a quid, dinner (lunch to some of you) was fish chips peas tea bread and butter at 3/6 in the sit down bit. I have never enjoyed a meal more than I do decent, fresh, fish and chips with a drink of tea.

Bryan's at Headingley used to be a favourite; I've heard it's not what it was.

Sadly, decent ones are hard to come by round here. They always leave the skin on and the batter's usually too thick.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sat 12 Dec 15 at 11:43
 Fish&chips - Ian (Cape Town)
Old jokes department #3714

"Small cod and small chips twice"

"I heard you the first time."
 Fish&chips - VxFan
>> "Small cod and small chips twice"

If I ask for small chips at my regular place, he replies "I'm not sorting out the small ones from the rest of them in the fryer. You'll get given whatever gets scooped up"

I have to carefully word it as "can I have a small portion of chips".
 Fish&chips - Stuartli
If you find an outstanding fish and chip shop or restaurant (whether one or more), then treasure and support to the maximum.

Nothing finer on your plate...:-)
 Fish&chips - Pat
We've got an excellent on in the village but his portions are enormous.

We have two tails of cod or haddock and a child's portion of chips between us now but you get a free fizzy drink with that!

Surely the answer to the obesity problem is to cut down on portion sizes and by doing so, make them more affordable to people who may be struggling financially or living alone?

The skin is the best bit!

Pat
 Fish&chips - henry k
>> If you find an outstanding fish and chip shop or restaurant (whether one or more),
>> then treasure and support to the maximum.
>>
Or a mobile fish and chip outfit.
One such parks up locally, one evening a week and cooks to order.
Some folks are not prepared to queue and wait but I do.
I suspect the fish comes from the south coast.
( he caters at many events and says he provides F & C at quite a few weddings.
 Fish&chips - R.P.
We were quite lucky here - there were a number of good chippies in the immediate area. Sadly the really good one came to a sticky end...:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDx26Ba3xxI

Still...
And another thing, why do these English poor excuses for fish and chip shops act surprised when you go in and ask for fish and ruddy chips?

They almost always inform you that you'll need to wait while they cook more chips or more fish or both. Then, when they eventually get around to cooking some ( not sure why they bother putting 'fish and chips' over the door if they don't expect customers to actually want some damn fish and blinking chips ) they then have forgotten what you ordered and you have to go through the whole clog dance again.

In Scotland, they have the stuff ready, in and out in moments.

It's all wrong you know, all wrong.

;-)
 Fish&chips - Zero
>> In Scotland, they have the stuff ready, in and out in moments.

What do you expect from the deep fried capital of the world.

Lets see, deep fried Mars bars, Kebabs, Pizza, latest craze I hear is "butter balls"
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 12 Dec 15 at 10:51
Deep fried pizza is actually delicious. Not majorly good for you I suppose, but very very tasty. You can get deep fried haggis and scotch pies too. Spring rolls if you're feeling exotic. Best though can be a deep fried smoked sausage supper. If you're not hungry enough to finish it you can keep half the sausage wrapped in paper in your pocket as a hand warmer and then give it to the dog when you get home.

;-)
 Fish&chips - CGNorwich
The Scots have not even begun to explore the culinary delights of the deep fat frier. You have to travel to the USA to see true creativity.

Fried beer anyone?

kitchenette.jezebel.com/the-most-ridiculous-deep-fried-foods-from-state-fairs-a-1572769682
 Fish&chips - NortonES2
On the issue of sausages, I remember whilst working in the smoke, and after an evening of Fullers London Pride, I was brave enough to try a poloni mit chips. A very red thing, with finely minced, but resistant, mystery ingredients. With consequent gastric pain for a few hours. Made the same mistake in Italy, not the same sausage, but I don't know? Lesson learned, eventually - stick to haddock!
 Fish&chips - VxFan
>> Or a mobile fish and chip outfit.
>> One such parks up locally, one evening a week and cooks to order.
>> Some folks are not prepared to queue and wait but I do.
>> I suspect the fish comes from the south coast.
>> ( he caters at many events and says he provides F & C at quite
>> a few weddings.

Same round here. No idea where he gets his fish from though. Really friendly chap. Overweight, but then aren't all the best chefs? shows he (or she) enjoys their food ;)

Your local chap isn't called Darren, is he?

I rarely queue, I phone an order through beforehand and it's generally ready when I get there to collect it.

ps, yes Pat, I agree, the skin is the best bit.
 Fish&chips - henry k
>>Your local chap isn't called Darren, is he?
>>
Fraid not.
Our mad seems to do the Surrey Hills.
He visits Box Hill folks and several other places nearby

The only mobile fish and chip caterer to scoop the prestigious Fish and Chip Quality Award

www.fishersuk.com/gallery.php
Last edited by: henry k on Sat 12 Dec 15 at 20:09
 Fish&chips - VxFan
>> Fraid not.
>> Our mad seems to do the Surrey Hills.

Mine is part of the Happy Plaice franchise

www.thehappyplaice.co.uk/

Other than that, the only other local chippies are Smarts.
 Fish&chips - Manatee

>> Mine is part of the Happy Plaice franchise

I like punny shop names. One the other side of Aylesbury is my favourite, The Codfather.
 Fish&chips - rtj70
In Ledbury is: The Codfather Part II. Their other one is in Abergavenny.
 Fish&chips - Duncan
>> Fraid not.
>> Our mad seems to do the Surrey Hills.
>> He visits Box Hill folks and several other places nearby
>>
>> The only mobile fish and chip caterer to scoop the prestigious Fish and Chip Quality
>> Award
>>
>> www.fishersuk.com/gallery.php
>>

Hmm. Hinchley Wood station would be ok.

But, fish & chips on a Tuesday?!
 Fish&chips - Dog
Erm, talking of fish & chips. If anybuddy is ever in the Hastings area, yoos can get proper-job fish and ansome chips at the Mermaid, where I used to while away the hours on most Sundays having walked from Pett Level further along the coast:

www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.8561311,0.5931422,3a,27.3y,351.67h,87.4t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQZKrIORQtjq14e79xbo58Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
 Fish&chips - Fullchat
Coming from the ex fishing capital of the world - Hull / Grimsby, you will struggle to buy Cod from a fish and chip shop. The preference is Haddock. Supposedly Cod lives its life at the bottom of the sea and is full of worms'. Flavour wise I do prefer Cod though.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny65i307Rs0

In Hull you can buy a 'pattie' which is a seasoned potato based fish cake without the fish. Ask for one in Grimsby and they will look at you like you have two heads.

Although you can see one town from the other there is a historic based rivalry based back to when they were large fishing ports.
 Fish&chips - John Boy
When I first moved to Hastings, I went down to the seafront on the first night and bought a bag of fish and chips to eat on the beach. It was in the nature of a celebration of moving to the seaside. I learnt straightaway that you need to have your back to a wall whilst eating. It's not a good idea to have herring gulls behind you if you're holding food.

Life has recently taken a turn for the better in that our immediate neighbours have stopped feeding them in their garden. We still have to contend with feral pigeons, but, at least we're not afraid of them. It was instructive to discover that gulls are very intelligent, can recognise different people and can expel waste at both ends whilst executing a banking turn.

Like Pat and her husband, we find the size of fish and chip portions a problem. With that in mind, our recommendation is the Dolphin in Seaside Road, Eastbourne which is run by a greek family
 Fish&chips - Zero

>> Like Pat and her husband, we find the size of fish and chip portions a
>> problem. With that in mind, our recommendation is the Dolphin in Seaside Road, Eastbourne which
>> is run by a greek family

Funny you should say that, been there, done that, rubber stamp your recommendation.
 Fish&chips - CGNorwich
I though for a moment you were referring to the Dolphin pub in Eastboourne which. Is quite the best place for real ale in the area. I'll research the Fish and Chips shop of the same name next time I'm there.
 Fish&chips - Clk Sec
>> And as for blinking cod, who wants that? Should be haddock.

In my area the benefit of preferring haddock, is that it is less popular, so more likely to be cooked from scratch rather than being served from the hotplate; although I noticed during a couple of recent holidays on the south coast, that nearly all the fish & chip shops there cooked to order regardless of how busy they were.

Last edited by: Clk Sec on Sat 12 Dec 15 at 13:59
Negates the point though, if you want fish and chips you want fish and chips NOW !

If you went into a pub for pint and they said they'd need to brew it first...

;-)
 Fish&chips - Clk Sec
Point taken. Usually have to wait about 10 minutes - but it's worth it!
 Fish&chips - Cliff Pope

>>
>> If you went into a pub for pint and they said they'd need to brew
>> it first...

But sometimes you have to wait for it to settle, and a good barman will let the head go down a bit and then top it up.
It's true haddock has more taste than cod, especially if the cod has been cooked for much too long.

And I agree that the batter can be too thick. Indeed 'our' fish and chip place does it too thick.

Even less-than-perfect fish suppers are quite nutritious and satisfying. I don't go short because the size is calculated for people younger and bigger than me.
It's true haddock has more taste than cod, especially if the cod has been cooked for much too long.

It has a different taste, but more? Not if cooked correctly. Many fish and chip places cook far too long, and cod survives this less well. Some of it comes from using a supposedly healthy oil, but you can get good results, but you have to have the oil vat properly hot. Cooking at a lower temperature means one has cook for longer to get colour in the batter, but also leads to the production of greasy battered fish.

Choice of fish seems to be a regional thing. Round here (Hertfordshire) most folk want cod, but haddock, hake and rock salmon are often also one the menu. Ask for anything other than haddock in parts of Scotland and they look at you as you've two heads.
 Fish&chips - bathtub tom
>>rock salmon are often also one the menu

Haven't seen rock in a chippy for years, used to love it and the cat enjoyed that rubbery bone.
 Fish&chips - bathtub tom
Just remembered rock was called gurnet when I was a lad. I presume it was the same fish, as they both had that rubbery bone.
>> >>rock salmon

Am I right in thinking rock salmon is a posh name for dogfish or 'small cold-water shark'?
 Fish&chips - devonite
"Rock-Salmon" is indeed the ubiquitous "Lesser Spotted Doggie" - very occasionally "Bull-Huss", but that is usually quite tough and not as Delicate tasting as "Doggie". As for being endangered- maybe in Southern waters where trawling is heavy, but up here in the NW they are in plague proportions, even novice anglers from the shore can lob a lump of Mackerel 10yds into the surf and go home with easily 20 a tide! (but not many eat them as they are tiresome to skin)
Us "Northeners" seem to prefer Pollack, but my favorite is deep-fried Dab in beer batter!!
Last edited by: devonite on Sun 13 Dec 15 at 17:42
 Fish&chips - henry k
>> >>rock salmon are often also one the menu
>>
>> Haven't seen rock in a chippy for years,
>>
Used to be call Huss in some places. I always understood it was dog fish.
I understand whatever fish it was it is now endangered.
>>and the cat enjoyed that rubbery bone.

Chinese cat?

;-)
>> Ask for anything other than haddock in parts of Scotland and they look at you as you've two heads.

Quite rightly too, but beware of the unscrupulous chippy passing cheaper whiting off as haddock. Easy to spot though, greyer meat with less flavour.
 Fish&chips - legacylad
Nothing wrong with geeks john boy
Stop picking on them...
 Fish&chips - NortonES2
Dog - did you ever go to the places on the beach in Hastings? Wooden affairs, with room for boats beneath, eating on first floor. May have closed now but were good whilst there.
Last edited by: NortonES2 on Sat 12 Dec 15 at 13:42
 Fish&chips - Dog
Was that down Rock a Nore in one of the old net huts? I mainly went to the Mermaid on Wednesday & Sunday aft'noons for over 10 years!
I also used to frequent the Blue Dolphin on the corner of Rock a Nore and Old lunden Rd. which was owned by a Sicilian who called himself Gino. I got to know him quite well after having tuned his car.

Gino used to fry me up some plaice, without batter, and a huge pile of chips but, he used vegetable oil :(
 Fish&chips - NortonES2
That's the one Dog. Didn't know the name of the road - had to look it up!
 Fish&chips - Crankcase
When I first met Mrs C, nigh on 35 years ago now, I was taken aback when I discovered that not only had she never had fish and chips, nobody in her family had either. After some years, when we were all on holiday, the night came when we were agreed we had finally got as far as trying it.

We got to the car park, at which point they all said they wouldn't actually fancy trying it after all.

So to my knowledge none of them, including my wife, have ever tasted fish and chips. I don't know why. They just seem to think that fried fish would be disgusting and none of them eat chips in any shape or form anyway.

When I get them from the local chippy, I know better than to eat them in the house when she is about. Nasty things, apparently.

Her dad, now dead, never to my knowledge tried so much as a mouthful of curry or a bite of pizza either, and none have ever had any kind of takeaway. Actually, Mrs C did try a Macdonalds once. Predictably she hated it, even though she only had a bit of the burger.

Takes all sorts I guess!
 Fish&chips - Dog
My wife had never heard of pies & mash when I first met her. Many of yoos will never have heard of pies & mash either, I'll wager; especially the W. Sussex brigade :o)

When I took her down ye olde pie shoppe, she had a fit when she saw the green liquor!! but she luvs 'em as much as I do now, not that y'all can get them in Cornwool.
>> will never have heard of pies & mash either, I'll wager; especially the W. Sussex brigade :o)

That'll be quite enough of that, young shaver. Some of us were peering suspiciously at pie mash and liquor before you were born.

Love to see a Frenchman's face admiring a typical plate of it:

'C'est un plat anglais traditionnel? Euh... intéressant...'
 Fish&chips - Dog
>>That'll be quite enough of that, young shaver. Some of us were peering suspiciously at pie mash and liquor before you were born.

Haha! .. I once had double pie & mash thrice down Westmoreland Rd. in Walworth. I felt quite ill after the 3rd lot.

Orf out with the dogs now - no rain!
 Fish&chips - Zero
>> >>That'll be quite enough of that, young shaver. Some of us were peering suspiciously at
>> pie mash and liquor before you were born.
>>
>> Haha! .. I once had double pie & mash thrice down Westmoreland Rd. in Walworth.
>> I felt quite ill after the 3rd lot.

You can always tell a local pie n mash eater. It will always be a "double", always with liquor, and the top of the pie get broken open to sprinkle in some pickle vinegar.
 Fish&chips - Dog
>>You can always tell a local pie n mash eater. It will always be a "double", always with liquor, and the top of the pie get broken open to sprinkle in some pickle vinegar.

Yoos forgot the white pepper.
 Fish&chips - Zero
>> >>You can always tell a local pie n mash eater. It will always be a
>> "double", always with liquor, and the top of the pie get broken open to sprinkle
>> in some pickle vinegar.
>>
>> Yoos forgot the white pepper.

Thats a sowf of the riva fing
 Fish&chips - MD
EELS and Liqour I'll tell you Perro. Nuffin' like it.
 Fish&chips - henry k
>> EELS and Liqour I'll tell you Perro. Nuffin' like it.
>>
Elvers are back on some menus.
We used to have them when I holidayed near the Severn at my Grandmothers cottage.
 Fish&chips - Dog
>>EELS and Liqour I'll tell you Perro. Nuffin' like it.

Yeah, I'll have the liquor and yoos can have the eels.
>> Yeah, I'll have the liquor and yoos can have the eels.

Heh heh... quite Perro. Pie fine, mash fine, liquor fine, actual eels though yucksville, fishy slime with a hairy bone down the middle.
 Fish&chips - Dog
>>Heh heh... quite Perro. Pie fine, mash fine, liquor fine, actual eels though yucksville, fishy slime with a hairy bone down the middle.

I seem to remember my ole mam doing conger eel many moons ago, although looking at pics of one, I now wish I hadn't. Are jellied eels prepared from conger eels I wonder?

TBH, the mere thought of eel makes me feel quite ill.
>> Are jellied eels prepared from conger eels I wonder?

Baby ones perhaps, but I think some other smaller sort of eel. Conger eels are immensely strong predators that can reach six feet in length. They have a nasty way of hiding in rocky fissures and grabbing anything that comes past. Don't know if it's true, but I've been told there have been cases of incautious swimmers/divers being held under water by a conger and drowned.

Keep your hands out of rocky fissures!
 Fish&chips - Dog
I must admit I did rather enjoy conger eel at the time. I used to catch eels now and again while I was fishing for Barbel at Penton Hook in near Staines ... in a previous life. Devils own job to unhook the critters though!!
Well, there is of course the upside to all that Crankcase.

When I suggest fish and chips my wife will adamantly insist that she doesn't want any. Unequivocally.

So, experience demands that I ask her to confirm that decision at least three times and preferably with witnesses.

Eventually, I go and buy myself some and she then eats at least half of them :-(

Apparently, 'other people's' chips are not fattening...
 Fish&chips - Crankcase
Yeah, take the c from chips, love, and what have you got?
Other blasts from the past include deep fried cod roe. Never could get on with that. Yuck !
 Fish&chips - Clk Sec
I think roe used to be the cheapest option. Not to my taste, though.
 Fish&chips - Ambo
DiL tells me Rick Stein does a good F & C for £16.99 in his new Poole restaurant (used to be Café Shore). Sandbanks millionaires will be relieved; so far there has only been a takeaway, about a mile off, but is does deep fried (real) salmon if you need a change from white fish.
 Fish&chips - Dog
>>DiL tells me Rick Stein does a good F & C for £16.99 in his new Poole restaurant

Strewth! .. I'd rather starve or have fish paste sandwiches than pay that much for F & C.
 Fish&chips - Harleyman

>> Strewth! .. I'd rather starve or have fish paste sandwiches than pay that much for
>> F & C.
>>

Mrs HM and I were similarly stung in the Isle of Man this year whilst on holiday. For your delectation, I've cut and pasted my review from Tripadvisor;

"This place seems to have delusions of adequacy. Serving a portion of what were obviously mass-catering chips (and not particularly good ones) in a cheap enamel bowl of the type ironmongers sell for 50 pence doesn't entitle you to have the brass nerve to charge £3.50 per (small) portion. Not does being charged £17.90 for two small, not particularly appetising and rather dry pieces of cod. I will however give credit where it is due; the home-made raspberry lemonade was delicious.

There are no tablecloths, and the tables themselves seem to be trying to give the impression of artisan coolness but only succeed in looking battered and scruffy.

We were offered a table right by the door , despite the place being virtually empty and the general impression we got was that the staff would rather we ate up and left quickly.

Which we did."
 Fish&chips - henry k
I pay £8.60 for a "large" piece of Haddock and a regular chips at my mobile chippie.
He sometimes has Jumbo Haddock but we find that one large is enough for us.
Surrey prices !!
 Fish&chips - Duncan
>> I pay £8.60 for a "large" piece of Haddock and a regular chips at my
>> mobile chippie.
>> He sometimes has Jumbo Haddock but we find that one large is enough for us.
>> Surrey prices !!

£7.40 at big Fry in Cobham for jumbo cod and large chips. We find that one of those is enough for the two of us.
 Fish&chips - Ted

We have about 6 chippys in the village out of about 40 places where you can get summat to eat.
The Atlantic, on the main road serves fish that are far too big for one person. We don't have F&C very often now but if we do we get them from the Sing Sing round the corner whose chips don't seem to be all little sharp ends like some of the others. Run by a nice Chinee lady called Julie whose hubby lurks in the back slitting up fish etc. The fish is cooked whike you wait.

For lunch, I recommend the chips and peawet from there........Yumsville.

Alas, Slimming World won't allow it........I have lost a stone, though !
 Fish&chips - Rudedog
Cod roe...yes please!

But may I put forward the humble red Saveloy, always a favourite with chips.
 Fish&chips - Zero

>> But may I put forward the humble red Saveloy, always a favourite with chips.

Indeed, Sav n Chips, always a good option.
I have to admit that I don't know what a saveloy is. I may have seen one without knowing but we weren't introduced.
 Fish&chips - Zero
>> I have to admit that I don't know what a saveloy is. I may have
>> seen one without knowing but we weren't introduced.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saveloy
 Fish&chips - Manatee
The great thing about fish and chips is that it is essentially un-mucked-about-with.

A saveloy on the other hand...from the first hit on Google -

Although the saveloy was originally made from pork brains, the typical ingredients from a shop-bought sausage are now pork (58%), water, rusk, British pork fat, potato starch, salt, emulsifiers (tetrasodium diphosphate, disodium diphosphate), white pepper, spices, dried sage (sage), preservatives (sodium nitrite, potassium nitrate), beef collagen casing contains colour (iron oxide)

Whilst I do unfortunately like some processed foods, specifically bacon, sausages, ham, I get an extra level of enjoyment with fish and chips from the thought that it is doing me more good that harm. I hope its true.
 Fish&chips - CGNorwich
Used to be able to get soft roe and hard roe. Hard Roe is the eggs from a female cod. Soft Roe, the tastier, is sperm from the male.
 Fish&chips - WillDeBeest
Haddock tonight for the Beestlings and me. Our shop will take a phone order and the stuff is ready, perfectly fresh, in the time it takes us to get there to pick it up. None of Humph's dried-out-under-a-heat-lamp stuff, thank you.
But it's not dried out, that's sort of the point, they just keep on cooking the staples so that as the queue works through the shop they all get served promptly. Sure of course if you want something not so popular you just yell from the back of the queue something along the lines of "kin ye shove a white puddin' 'n a haggis in fir iz hen?" This is never taken badly and in fact is appreciated.
Back in the late 1980s I taught the chef in the small family run hotel I more or less lived in for 5 years in the deepest and most rural south east of Brazil, how to make British style fish and chips. Mince and tatties too as I recall.

It's a very long time since I was able to check if they still are, but both options remained on the menu and became a popular choice with the locals.

I can't imagine that chef is still alive though, given the industrial quantities of sugar cane alcohol he got through. We also used that to fuel the Ford Landau we used to bounce around in.

The car always smelled slightly of boiled sweets.
 Fish&chips - legacylad
One of my favourite 'restaurants' is Fred's Place, Crossflatts near Bingley in W Yorks. A proper chippy with only 12 covers. Fish and small chips, pot of tea, bread & butter @ £4.95. Mushy peas are 50p extra. Exceptional value for money, all fish cooked to order and highly recommended if in the area....visiting Salts Mill, 5 Rise Locks etc
 Fish&chips - Manatee
>> One of my favourite 'restaurants' is Fred's Place, Crossflatts near Bingley in W Yorks. A
>> proper chippy with only 12 covers. Fish and small chips, pot of tea, bread &
>> butter @ £4.95. Mushy peas are 50p extra. Exceptional value for money, all fish cooked
>> to order and highly recommended if in the area....visiting Salts Mill, 5 Rise Locks etc

I'll make a note, wish I'd known when we went to Salts in September.

Can't find trace of it, sure you don't mean Jack's Fisheries?
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 13 Dec 15 at 11:57
 Fish&chips - legacylad
Manatee, you are correct. It is Jacks Fisheries! And fish & small chips, pot f tea, bread n butter is £4.75 not £4.95
Another Sunday morning senior moment.
Did you visit Salts Mill? One of my favourite places. I especially liked Hockneys 'Arrival of Spring' a selection of about 20 'drawings' all done on SN iPad or similar. I was duly impressed.
My old stomping ground, with the old tramshed at the top serving decent cheap beer and half decent pizzas.
 Fish&chips - Manatee
>> Manatee, you are correct. It is Jacks Fisheries!
>> Did you visit Salts Mill?

Yes, I enjoyed the Arrival of Spring exhibition. Probably nearer 40 than 20 pictures, of a lane near Bridlington in different seasons/weathers I think.

I knew Jonathan Silver slightly, who bought Salts mill in the late 80s and created the Hockney connection, and died died untimely of cancer in 1997. I had been meaning to go for years but had never managed it having been an exile more or less for over 20 years now..
 Fish&chips - smokie
Take away cod 'n' chips in my local chippy, which doubles as a Chinese but the chippy side does more business, is £6.10 these days. Have to say fish size is always good and chip portions are enough for two (for most people, but not me!! :-) )

There was a time when it was on the weekly menu but although I still like f&c am trying to eat a little healthier these days.
 Fish&chips - Clk Sec
>> There was a time when it was on the weekly menu but although I still
>> like f&c am trying to eat a little healthier these days.

I'd like to have fish and chips once a week. Problem is, the fish from our local chippy is nigh on a foot long and I always eat all the batter, and as the wife doesn't eat any of her batter, I devour most of that, too.
 Fish&chips - Ambo
>>Fred's Place

I wonder if it is he who has Chez Fred in the Westbourne area of Bournemouth. This is a good fish restaurant with generous portions (free extra chips if required) and, usefully, serves from 11:30 a.m. Also open evenings.
 Fish&chips - Duncan
>> >>Fred's Place
>>
>> I wonder if it is he who has Chez Fred in the Westbourne area of
>> Bournemouth.

Two branches - one in Bingley, one in Bournemouth?

A little unlikely, perhaps?
I'm being tortured by memories of Belgium, a big bowl of moules marinière with a side order of lovely fresh frites... and a pint of draught Leffe blonde if it's late enough in the day.
 Fish&chips - legacylad
You mean noon?
 Fish&chips - Dutchie
Wetherby for our fish and chips on return from Bolton Abby.Big fish mushy peas and chips one order is enough for the two of us.

Belgian patat frites with mayonese very nice also.When we where kids a croquette or bag of chips.25 cents.God knows what it is now with the Euro running the show.
>> Belgian patat frites with mayonese very nice also

Quite right Dutchie, I forgot to mention the mayonnaise which comes with the frites.

Those frites are often perfect by English standards. The chips from my local place are soggy and greasy by comparison.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 13 Dec 15 at 16:57
 Fish&chips - Ted

Nice traditional, sit in chippy with white tiles and formica tables right next to Wigan Wallgate station. TfGM bus pass holders can get there free on the train.

Someone told me it's gone Chinese now but is no worse for it...still worth a trip when SWM's out for the day !
 Fish&chips - Clk Sec
>>Haddock and a regular chips at my mobile chippie.

Mobile chippie. Unfortunately, I haven't seen one of those for 50 years or more.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Sun 13 Dec 15 at 17:13
 Fish&chips - CGNorwich

>> Belgian patat frites with mayonese very nice also.When we where kids a croquette or bag
>> of chips.25 cents.God knows what it is now with the Euro running the show.

I'll let you know. Driving to Brugge tomorrow. Hope the ferry crossing is not too choppy
>> I'll let you know. Driving to Brugge tomorrow. Hope the ferry crossing is not too
>> choppy
>>

Slightly off-topic, but still on the subject of food. I had a marvellous rack of lamb cooked in front of the open fire at this place in Brugge at the beginning of June.

www.bistrodeschaar.be/de-schaar/home.html

Fish&chips - John Boy
A striking thing about this topic is the number of couples who share a portion of fish and chips. F&C shops don't seem to have got it right. If you lived on your own, as I have done, it's a real problem. When I lived in Walthamstow, one particular shop had cottoned on to that with "small fish & chips".
 Fish&chips - legacylad
Jacks Fisheries, as mentioned above, does 'small chips'. But to compensate I always have a jumbo fish with mushy peas. I've never not been able to eat a whole fish, and often eat 3/4 of my 97yo Aunts as well. Does that make me a gannet?
Last edited by: legacylad on Sun 13 Dec 15 at 18:47
 Fish&chips - John Boy
>>Does that make me a gannet?
>>
I don't know, but I'm certainly impressed.
 Fish&chips - Stuartli
>>When I lived in Walthamstow, one particular shop had cottoned on to that with "small fish & chips".>>

Where I live, a NW resort, we have more than our fair share of quality fish and chip shops and restaurants. One of the longest established (many decades) recognises the fact that senior citizens don't need the large standard portions and offers what is termed a "Senior Special" at a special (takeaway) price of £4.40.

It comprises fewer chips, a smaller fish and mushy peas or baked beans to choice. Excellent value and means that there is no waste as it's normally all consumed.

The "problem", on the other hand, with many Chinese run fish and chips is not the quality, but the sheer quantity of chips provided, even if requested to reduce an individual buyer's portion.

So most people, as suggested earlier, have one portion of chips to share between two or even three others.
 Fish&chips - John Boy
>> >>When I lived in Walthamstow, one particular shop had cottoned on to that with "small fish & chips".>>

>> Where I live, a NW resort, we have more than our fair share of quality fish and chip shops and restaurants. One of the longest established (many decades) recognises the fact that senior citizens don't need the large standard portions and offers what is termed a "Senior Special" at a special (takeaway) price of £4.40.

I don't understand why more places don't do this. Apart from the waste involved with large portions, they miss out on a massive customer base of single people. Yesterday one of my daughters was in the shop I mentioned. She says it's changed hands and no longer offers the smaller portions.

Fish&chips - Crankcase
>> It comprises fewer chips, a smaller fish and mushy peas or baked beans to choice.
>> Excellent value and means that there is no waste as it's normally all consumed.

Occasionally posts get commented on because of some grammatical inexactitude or other, and then a couple of people get grumpy, and some others get a bit snippy, and some of us run up the stairs not wanting to talk about it and slam our doors.

So on a very positive note, the grammatical award of the day must go, then, to Stuartli, who has used "comprises", "fewer" and "it's" all correctly in the same sentence. Be still my beating heart.

I know nobody cares, but it made me inwardly smile to see it, in the same way as the rest of you appreciate the scent of wine on a summer's evening or the curve of a Royce body panel.

Sorry, it's getting near Christmas and I have clearly gone giddy with pent-up excitement.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 15 Dec 15 at 13:56
 Fish&chips - Stuartli
>> "I know nobody cares, but it made me inwardly smile to see it, in the same way as the rest of you appreciate the scent of wine on a summer's evening or the curve of a Royce body panel." >>

Thank you..:-) By the way, I'm a retired journalist..:-)
 Fish&chips - neiltoo
>> Thank you..:-) By the way, I'm a retired journalist..:-)
>>

From whom current journalists, sub-editors and editors should take lessons.

Signed Sniffy Pedant

8o)
Last edited by: neiltoo on Tue 15 Dec 15 at 14:34
>> I know nobody cares,

I care Crankcase, and wince from time to time. But I hardly ever mention it here. Why upset people and get a name as a sniffy pedant?
 Fish&chips - Crankcase
My posts are full of errors, whether of "rule" or just clumsy style, and one of the great things about this place is that it doesn't matter.

So I just thought that it was worth mentioning when some little piece of elegance hopped along, was all.

Sorry if it winds anyone up. I just liked it.
 Fish&chips - PhilW
"So on a very positive note, the grammatical award of the day must go, then, to Stuartli, who has used "comprises", "fewer" and "it's" all correctly in the same sentence. Be still my beating heart."

Not to mention "there"!
 Fish&chips - bathtub tom
And he claims to be a journalist, sheesh, who'd believe it?
 Fish&chips - legacylad
Dutchie, would that be the Wetherby Whaler? I used to have a shop just found the corner on Cross St, bottom of the Shambles. Decent butcher at the top of the Shambles, and a proper green grocer too.
Hope you didn't try to jump over the Strid at Bolton Abbey, especially following Saturday's deluge. Nice part of the world... I had my wedding reception at the Devonshire Arms at Bolton Abbey, and was best man for my pals wedding at Bolton Abbey Priory. I lived ten mikes away, and we met at my place for pre wedding checks... Suits, button holes and a snifter of Caol Isla. Unfortunately I left the Wedding Service Sheets behind so the ceremony was delayed. Oops!
 Fish&chips - Bromptonaut
>> Dutchie, would that be the Wetherby Whaler?

The original Harry Ramsdens at Guiseley is now a Wetherby Whaler. Once the Ramsden name became just another fast food brand the place it all started was seen as so much excess overhead - on a valuable freehold.

Wonder if it could have turned a profit as Harry Ramsden's Classic with table service by properly attired staff, carpeted floors etc?
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 13 Dec 15 at 18:59
 Fish&chips - legacylad
Childhood memories of Ramsdens are a huge Xmas tree, uniformed waiting staff, a pianist, and presents for all children. That's when I lived in Bradford and it was considered a reet grand day out. Parked up overlooking Yeadon airport with three generations of the family, watched a few planes take off & land, thermos in a wicker basket, a walk over Otley Chevin then f & c.
That was considered an exciting Sunday to a nipper like me!
 Fish&chips - Bromptonaut
>> Childhood memories of Ramsdens are a huge Xmas tree, uniformed waiting staff, a pianist, and
>> presents for all children. T

I remember that too in the mid sixties. The presents were quite good too, better than the rubbish Father Christmas in the Merrion Centre gave you. Had little xylophone one year and a mouth organ another.

Visited the airport form time to time in same period to wave Dad off to/back from business trips to Paris (via London) with BKS. Later, misspent my mid teens there as a 'spotter'.
 Fish&chips - Manatee
I hadn't realised that that there were any more Wetherby Whalers, other than the renamed Ramsdens that I have passed a few times.

I'm getting hungry.

Fish and chips here is a van, same lot as go to Bugbrooke -

www.howeandcofishandchips.co.uk/index.php
 Fish&chips - VxFan
Used to be a lovely chippie in Abingdon (a Chinese one in Gainsborough Green) who added a hint of lemon into the batter. Tasted delicious.

Does anyone still ask for scrumps? (or whatever they're called in your neck of the woods). The scrap bits of batter that used to be put to one side in the same glass ovens as the fish. Used to love them, but don't tend to see them anymore. Last place I asked for some, he looked me up and down as if I'd spoken to him in a foreign language.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 13 Dec 15 at 19:30
 Fish&chips - legacylad
Friends I dine with at Jacks fisheries always ask for extra scraps. I used to but these days my body is a temple! Apart from the pre dinner drink beers, two G & Ts and currently a glass of white whine. More to follow. Helps me sleep in the heat see.
 Fish&chips - devonite
I was once charged £1.50p for a "bag o scraps" at a Chippy down South (Hungerford) - Couldn't get over it all the way home!
Scraps I think is a good sign. I believe you only get them if you are frying at a high temperature.
 Fish&chips - Pat
I can remember as a child being sent to the chippy with a shilling to ask for a fish and three.

Fish was 9 old pence and 3 pennoth of chips was a cheap meal once the scraps were added...all wrapped in newspaper of course.

Pat
 Fish&chips - John Boy
Me too, except we'd ask for a piece and three (Lincolnshire).
 Fish&chips - Clk Sec
I can only remember as far back as 'fish and 6'.
 Fish&chips - Dutchie
Fish&chips used to be the best in Hull.Our first little terrace house was next to the Fish Shop.Big chap used to run it with his family a Dane.Always served in newspaper.Sometimes I was lucky and got halibut from one of the Trawlers returning from Iceland.We used to take the pilot off near Minerva Pier.Took the halibut a small one to the Fish shop.He used to fry the fish for me.

Great people the Trawler men rough and ready doing one of the most dangerous jobs in winter.
 Fish&chips - PhilW
"fish and three"
Blimey Pat, you must be old!! I only remember back to 10p fish and 4 pen'oth of chips with a mountain of scraps chucked in for free!!
And 20 Players were very expensive at 3/10d for 20, not to mention a pint of Mild at 1/8d(when a bit broke) ! Bitter a bit expensive at 1/10d! (Have I got symbols right for One shilling and eightpence and one shilling and tenpence?)
By the way, whatever happened to pickled eggs in a big jar on the bar?
 Fish&chips - Pat
>>Blimey Pat, you must be old!!<<

Thanks Mate, I was doing alright until I read that!

Pat
 Fish&chips - Bromptonaut
>> Fish and chips here is a van, same lot as go to Bugbrooke -
>>
>> www.howeandcofishandchips.co.uk/index.php

They move around the village during the evening, announcing their presence with a loud handbell. Never heard it until after I retired and at first assumed it to be totters looking for scrap.

Must try them sometime.

There's another firm do Saturday lunchtime in Kislingbury then Bugbrooke.
Latest Forum Posts