Non-motoring > Kinky Stuff Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 20

Kinky Stuff - borasport

curious ?

- sorry to disappoint you ;-)

the coiled cable on my phone has tied itself into a knot and it is a 30 second fight with the handset every time I want to take/make a call - are there any answers to this problem ?
Last edited by: borasport on Fri 23 Jul 10 at 15:50
 Kinky Stuff - rtj70
Cordless phones?
 Kinky Stuff - BobbyG
Get a knitting needle or something similar and "re-coil" it around it and leave in place to reshape.
Will involve lots of spinning of the receiver I guess!
 Kinky Stuff - sherlock47
It got my attention.

tinyurl.com/kinkytelephone

Perfectly safe link!

But probably best used with a new cord. Recoiling never works for me.
Last edited by: pmh on Fri 23 Jul 10 at 16:15
 Kinky Stuff - CGNorwich
Hold the handset by the cord and let it rotate and unkink itself.
 Kinky Stuff - borasport
>> Hold the handset by the cord and let it rotate and unkink itself.
>>

I've lost count of the number of times I've done that - never seems to make much difference :-(
 Kinky Stuff - Zero
File it under BIN, and get a new one, Its not as tho they cost much.
 Kinky Stuff - Armel Coussine
I went cordless many years ago, after a visit to France where they were a year or two ahead of us with cordless phones. Of course some people can't work them to save their lives and hate them, but I don't although they can have problems of their own. The one where I am living now is particularly annoying and hard to work. If I was going to be here for long I would get another.

Those coiled cords in the wrong hands could become truly horrible. First the outer skin would split as they got twisted tighter and tighter from the same user sequence repeated thousands of times, then the inner insulation would rupture leading to sporadic shorts, and finally one or more of the wires would break leading to total failure. But for years before that you didn't want to use the thing, and not because of all the tobacco, snot and food particles in the mouthpiece.
 Kinky Stuff - Old Navy
If you decide on a cordless phone (the best option) I would recommend a Panasonic.
 Kinky Stuff - Runfer D'Hills
We have two phones in the room in our house we call the office. I tend to always use one of them and my wife the other. Possibly because we have our own desks I suppose.

My wire never twists or tangles whereas her's does. I'm really not very sure what this proves, if anything, other than that she may have kinkier tendencies than me perhaps.

I do notice though that she'll put the phone to her right ear to make or receive a call but will often switch it to her left when writing something down or when typing. I don't do that for the simple reason that I'm more or less deaf on my left side having got myself a bit too up close and personal to an explosion in my dim and distant past.

Ear switching, that's my kinking theory......
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Fri 23 Jul 10 at 19:05
 Kinky Stuff - Stuartli
Hold the cord and let the phone dangle before straightening out the coiled cord. It may take two or three attempts but, eventually, the coiled cord will revert to its original status.

It's down to the fact that plastic has a "memory" and will always revert to its original form.
 Kinky Stuff - bathtub tom
>>Ear switching, that's my kinking theory......

I agree with you there Humph.

When I worked in an office, I noticed most right-handed people kept the 'phone on the right hand side of the desk and switched the handset to their left ear when making notes (it was a boring job!). They had the kinkiest leads.

Try it. Pick up a handset with your right hand, transfer it to your left ear, replace the handset. You've just put a twist in the cord.
 Kinky Stuff - Mike Hannon
It's even worse with those permanently coiled extendable hosepipes you can buy.
Never, ever again...
Never had one of those Mike. Always thought they looked a bit posh for the likes of me. Did have a flat one though at one time. That thing and I fell out regularly. To coil it up it had to be completely empty and it kinked all the time even when full of water. Went in the skip eventually. Got one of those yellow jobs on a portable winding wheel now. Just the ticket except I'm not allowed to use it at the moment due to the North West of England having such an arid climate...........

Only reason I'm sitting here typing nonsense is to overcome the withdrawal symptoms from Saturday morning car washing. It's all Rock 'n Roll here in Nicetown Nowheresville County y'know.....

:-)

Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Sat 24 Jul 10 at 12:01
 Kinky Stuff - Iffy
...Got one of those yellow jobs on a portable winding wheel now. Just the ticket...

I have the cheapest green hose and have often wondered if the premium yellow is worth the extra.

Seems like it might be.
 Kinky Stuff - Bellboy
the kinky hosepipes are sound ,its the rubbish ends on them i cant abide
always failing
and dont get me started on those 6 position trigger guns
 Kinky Stuff - Iffy
...and dont get me started on those 6 position trigger guns...

I've had one for years.

It's been no bother both times I've used it.

You could try it out on my car if I'm over your side of the Pennines Iffy. We are all starting to look like the Clampits with our scruffy unwashed vehicles over here.
 Kinky Stuff - VxFan
>> and dont get me started on those 6 position trigger guns

Wonderful design. An internal spring for the trigger made from steel that rusts in approx 6 months. Had to change the spring inside mine several times now.
 Kinky Stuff - Mapmaker
>>ear changing

No it's not. It's hand changing that's the problem.

Pick it up with the right hand, and put it to the left ear, and put it down with the left hand = twist.

Pick it up with the right hand, and put it to the left ear, and put it down with the right hand = no twist.

It's another one of those mechanical sympathythings. My telephone wires never get twisted. I used to sit next to a chap (he was cack handed) who didn't seem to notice or care that he couldn't pick up the phone as it was so notted. That said my desk was a tip, his was immaculate.
 Kinky Stuff - Tooslow
b, throw it away and buy a DECT phone.

Panasonic or Siemens for best sound.

JH
Latest Forum Posts