Non-motoring > Bank Cashpoints Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Cpt. Flack Replies: 8

Bank Cashpoints - Cpt. Flack
Sorry for another finiancial thread. Hope there is someone who can shed light on cashpoints.

If I use my card issued by my bank in anothers banks ATM to withdraw cash, does their computer read all my details and use that information to bombard me at home with financial products.

I just got some Natwest stuff in the post this morning having recently used a NW ATM. This then got me thinking whether this type of use generates other unwanted mail. If this is the case, then does that mean wherever I use my debit card, that service or company can then send me out unwanted stuff because they have my address in their system, or am I wrong. Can someone please confirm or deny this sort of thing happens when you use your cards.
 Bank Cashpoints - RattleandSmoke
Pretty sure other banks cannot read your details on an ATM other then the amount avaliable. I am sure there would be all sorts of DPA implications otherwise.
 Bank Cashpoints - Zero
No the cashpoint does not read and store all your personal details.

All the other banks machine do is check the card is valid, the pin number is correct and your own bank is happy to issue the money.

The amount of data traffic in a card transaction is very small, would happily run over a very slow line (and indeed used to)

Bank Cashpoints - FotheringtonTomas
>> The amount of data traffic in a card transaction is very small, would happily run
>> over a very slow line (and indeed used to)

There are still "cash withdrawl facilities" in shops, etc., often in "holiday" locations (these ones tend to charge a nice fee - £2.50, say)
 Bank Cashpoints - Stuartli
I use LloydsTSB and Halifax debit cards in a wide range of cash machines, from Santander to Tesco apart from the banks' own machines, and I've never had the type of follow up which you are querying.

In fact it always surprises me that such financial institutions offer the means to non-customers to withdraw cash without any apparent benefits to themselves.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sat 24 Jul 10 at 00:20
 Bank Cashpoints - Mapmaker

>> In fact it always surprises me that such financial institutions offer the means to non-customers
>> to withdraw cash without any apparent benefits to themselves.

So naive, Stuartli... they charge your bank about 20p for the privilege. When I worked at Lloyds TSB (where you were required to have your salary paid into a Lloyds TSB bank account) we were asked not to withdraw cash from other banks on the grounds that if staff didn't do so it would save the bank £x per annum.
 Bank Cashpoints - Stuartli
>>So naive, Stuartli..>>

Naive?

How many people would be aware of your claim? Very few I would guess.
 Bank Cashpoints - Mapmaker
My claim!!???!

You DO expect banks to be charitable towards each other. It has always been the case, and it wasn't news to me when my then employers told me so.
 Bank Cashpoints - paulb
Presumably these interbank charges more or less cancel each other out in terms of amounts paid and received, and any that don't get washed out through the general retail charging structure.

Although if the recurrent indignant noises about bank charges bear fruit, I bet we'll start seeing withdrawal fees coming back. Have never quite got used to the fact that I can now make a withdrawal from a NatWest ATM for a Lloyds TSB account without getting pinged about a quid fifty for the privilege.
Latest Forum Posts