Non-motoring > Could You Be Scammed? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 15

Could You Be Scammed? - Robin O'Reliant
Without wishing to set myself up for a future fall I got 7/7.

They're all pretty obvious.

www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/12025831/Spot-the-scam-are-these-messages-from-banks-or-fraudsters.html
 Could You Be Scammed? - Slidingpillar
I didn't. Regarded one as a scam that wasn't.

But since I don't bank with a bank that does what was in the message - if I got it, it would be spam.
 Could You Be Scammed? - WillDeBeest
Got 7 too. Nice that the article warns us to beware of messages containing 'spelling mistakes and gramatical errors'.
 Could You Be Scammed? - legacylad
Got 5/7.
 Could You Be Scammed? - Armel Coussine
According to this test I'm a scammer's dream. Got 4, or was it only 3? Don't remember, don't care.
 Could You Be Scammed? - VxFan
Scored 4.
 Could You Be Scammed? - Roger.
>> Got 7 too. Nice that the article warns us to beware of messages containing 'spelling
>> mistakes and gramatical errors'.

That's a bit rich, coming from the often illiterate Daily Telegraph!
 Could You Be Scammed? - Armel Coussine
'spelling mistakes and gramatical errors'.

Heh heh... no doubt you noticed the spelling mistake in that Rastaman...
 Could You Be Scammed? - Mapmaker
I got 5. I've never seen text messages like those, I must say.
 Could You Be Scammed? - commerdriver
I got 5 as well,
surely the key for any communication is whether you are expecting one from your bank or whoever purports to have sent it.
 Could You Be Scammed? - No FM2R
I got 7;

In the absence of any indication to the contrary then I assume that...

If it asks for information, it is bad.

If it offers information, it is good.
 Could You Be Scammed? - Mapmaker
I work on the basis that if it asks me to interact then it's time to ring the bank using the number on the back of my card. Unless of course I'm expecting a message.

HSBC have (had? they haven't done it for a bit) a habit of ringing you up and asking for your security details. If you say 'no' they then give you a number that's not the one on the back of the card to ring...
 Could You Be Scammed? - Manatee

>> HSBC have (had? they haven't done it for a bit) a habit of ringing you
>> up and asking for your security details. If you say 'no' they then give you
>> a number that's not the one on the back of the card to ring...

Not happened for ages, but Firstdirect did it too. They asked if I would confirm my address, so I said yes. There was a silence, following which they asked me what my address was. I said no, you tell me, and I tell you if it's right - that's what confirm means! etc etc.

I got 5/7. One false positive, because it made no sense without context, and one scam missed although I doubt if I would have called the number without checking it or fallen for the spiel on the phone call.
 Could You Be Scammed? - Slidingpillar
The dodgy ones are from 'your' bank or savings institution, but I've got another way of telling if the message is genuine. Mine get an exclusive email address, that is only for them. Any correspondence using another address is automatically regarded as spam, as is mail from anyone else using that address.

If you 'own' a domain, a simple and cost neutral method of security.
 Could You Be Scammed? - Dog
6/7.
 Could You Be Scammed? - Zero
7/7 I work on unsolicited out of the blue = dodgy.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 2 Dec 15 at 16:40
Latest Forum Posts