Non-motoring > The Establishment Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 17

The Establishment - Armel Coussine
I have been reading a book of that title, by a youngish chap called Owen Jones whose other book is called Chavs.

It's not without interest, although frankly at nearly half way through it hasn't told me much I didn't know already.

The proofreading though is an utter disgrace. The commonest solecism is the presentation of 'the media' as a singular, a pet hate of mine, and one chapter ends on a totally meaningless sentence, perhaps not even a sentence.

I say Tchah! to Allen Lane Penguin, which ought to be ashamed of itself.
 The Establishment - R.P.
Writes for the Gruniad doesn't he ?
Yes, he does. That rag is nearly as good as my usual comic, but a bit po-faced for my taste.

A slight swerve: has anyone else felt their jaw drop at the money earned by these babes and blokes on the telly and in the big comics?

Undreds of bleedin fahsands a year, plus presents. No doubt they pay a bit of tax, but even so, it weren't like that in my young day lad. Raaaas!
 The Establishment - Manatee
Doesn't Boris get !00k a year for a couple of random thoughts a week in the Torygraph?

I wonder if Grace Dent, who writes an "opinion" column for the Indy/i, is paid so much. Her last offering was about her chuffing cat. I felt like asking for my money back. (Not worth clicking the link).

goo.gl/eDcpwr
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 29 Nov 15 at 20:47
 The Establishment - R.P.
Well the Gruniad is on its proverbial - how long can it last ? I have a friend who is a proper photo-journalist...he sees the end being nigh sooner rather than later - he is now expected to write stories as well as photograph them. People supply their own photos for articles...
 The Establishment - Bobby
Must be in excess of 5 years since I last bought a newspaper.

I get all my news via social media, mostly twitter but also some free newspaper apps.

I would never rely on any form of media giving an unbiased opinion.
 The Establishment - smokie
"I would never rely on any form of media giving an unbiased opinion."

I'm not convinced that all social media contributors are unbiased...

I am currently getting the weekend Times (on a deal). While I don't usually get printed news, you do get a whole new depth of news and commentary which you don't see here or on social media. I realise reading something take a little time but I'm enjoying do so. Just grazing on the news bites from social media and t'internet news sites isn't really the same as getting the news.
 The Establishment - Bobby
Thats the beauty of twitter. You can deliberately follow people you know who have opposing views and read their opinions/ versions of events etc.
 The Establishment - Alanovich
I'm going to have to start buying newspapers again. We don't get the free ones any more and I like to light the fire in the living room on weekends.

I always find the FT to be the most flammable.
 The Establishment - R.P.
We don't bother here - unless I'm on an awayday somewhere. Regional newspaper is delivered by App to one of the iPads - arrives midnight.
 The Establishment - zippy
i think the Guardian owns Autotrader which it uses to fund the paper.
You can't teach an old dog new tricks. I'm used to reading the comic (in a critical spirit of course) while drinking my morning coffee.
 The Establishment - madf
>> i think the Guardian owns Autotrader which it uses to fund the paper.
>>

The Scott Trust gained £250M profit from sale of Autotrader.
The Scott Trust owns the Grauniad.

The Scott Trust avoided tax on the sale using an overseas trust - all legally.
The Grauniad preaches about tax avoidance being evil.

So the Grauniad will survive for a few centuries on tax avoidance
 The Establishment - Cockle
>> Doesn't Boris get !00k a year for a couple of random thoughts a week in
>> the Torygraph

I believe you'll find it's closer to £250k, tops up his full time job as Mayor of London and his part-time job as an MP which is conveniently close to the office so he can pop in when not too busy running London.
 The Establishment - Crankcase
I wonder how much our local hacks get for such elegant phrases as this, in the news this morning:

"And in Balsham Road, Linton, overnight on the same day, offenders have broken into a business premises and broke into the safe but nothing was inside the box."

I don't know where to begin with that. How do they get their jobs?
Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 30 Nov 15 at 08:02
 The Establishment - Cliff Pope

>>
>> "And in Balsham Road, Linton, overnight on the same day, offenders have broken into a
>> business premises and broke into the safe but nothing was inside the box."
>>

Classic prose, obviously inspired by:

"Balthazar was that same night killed by his slaves".
 The Establishment - tyrednemotional

...and that was after the sub-editor (haha) had been at the original:

"And in Balsham Road, Linton, overnight on the same day, offenders have broken into a
business premises and broke into the safe but nothing was inside the box, innit."

The Establishment - Crankcase
However, the local Pulitzer today must go to the unconsidered trifle thrown into a tedious story I won't bother to link, which is about bikes and taxis.

"Mark Rushton, who lives near Royston and braves the A10 on his penny farthing for his daily commute to Cambridge, has also called for road users to stop blaming each other."

And that's all we get. No follow up. What? Penny Farthing on the A10? But..how..and...?

Maybe it's merely corroborative detail, intended to give artistic verisimilitude to an otherwise bald and unconvincing narrative, in which case Poo-Bah to it.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 30 Nov 15 at 11:28
Latest Forum Posts