Non-motoring > All about (not) caring... Company Cars
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 23

All about (not) caring... - No FM2R
This link has a rude word in the URL (finally a valid use for tinryurl) and millions of rude words in the article itself. You have been warned.

But I thought it worth a read.

tinyurl.com/q7aq8l4

p.s. Al, its not the Mail.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 27 Nov 15 at 13:27
 All about (not) caring... - mikeyb
Made me smile because I have seen the picture of "Tim" before - describes my middle boy perfectly :-)
 All about (not) caring... - Runfer D'Hills
Have to say, I find myself agreeing with quite a lot of that !
 All about (not) caring... - Dutchie
I cannot care for the world to much and to far.People close to me I care for and I hope they care for me.If not I don't give a F .Do I really mean that?

Hello everybody again.
 All about (not) caring... - Pat
Hello Dutchie, how good to see you back again, I've missed you!

Pat
 All about (not) caring... - Armel Coussine
>> Have to say, I find myself agreeing with quite a lot of that !

I was so taken with the Gone With the Wind poster that I printed it out and stuck it up on the bookshelves in front of the desk here, in a place of honour next to the Bill Burroughs Hoppy photo and the Malcolm X postcard.

The Dutchman didn't stay away for long did he? Good thing too.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 6 Dec 15 at 16:54
 All about (not) caring... - Dutchie
So many bright people on here A.C The regulars are like a family.Always a good read and by the way no more crashing into cars no excuses.
>> by the way no more crashing into cars no excuses.

I hear you - boy do I hear you! - but the more I think about it the more I realise that that shunt was as much the woman's fault as mine, and that bourgeois guilt partly explains my admission of responsibility, and my view expressed here that I was more to blame than she was.

It was a strange incident, but I'm not going to draw the diagrams here because the insurance people will certainly require them as bin fodder.

The trouble with strangers in fraught situations is you can't predict what they will do, or trust them. We are an unprincipled nation these days. Always a relief to meet an honest individual.

>> It was a strange incident, but I'm not going to draw the diagrams here because the insurance people will certainly require them as bin fodder.

Actually the insurance company when contacted was very soothing, assuring me that it would make no difference to me, financial or other, even if I were to get exclusive blame for the little shunt. Apparently I'm insured against everything, even higher insurance premiums.

Insurance always seems an expensive racket until you really need it. Then sometimes it turns out to be OK.
>> Then sometimes it turns out to be OK.

I say sometimes because long ago, when I was overstretched running a Bentley in London, I was insured with the London Life I think, in some sort of weird with-profits deal that I didn't begin to understand.

They were horrible fellows in the office, cheeky and snooty, allowed me to hear the word 'pretentious'. But I knew I was better than them so it didn't sting. Too much envy in it for that. No doubt they thought the same or worse of me.

All to do with my ex's grandfather who was a director of London Life... long time ago, bit blurred.
Still can't pass the junction of Lower Regent St and Pall Mall without an involuntary sneer and averting my gaze from the accursed building.

Eeee, it were right tense in t'West End in them days lad...
>> the junction of Lower Regent St and Pall Mall

My bank was down there too, and the people in it were just as cheeky and snooty as the insurance brutes.

.**********

Oh dear.

'Discreet murmur yes, veiled scolding no', I should have said. Should have done my own asterisking. Anyway you get the message. You shouldn't have to take cheek from bank clerks.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 12 Dec 15 at 18:55
 All about (not) caring... - Dog
>>My bank was down there too

Coutts no doubt.

All about (not) caring... - CGNorwich

>> Coutts no doubt.
>>

They used to be my bank.

They were the bankers for the Royal Exchange Assurance for whom I worked for a few years when I left school. The tellers still wore tail coats and the quarterly statements, accompanied by all the cleared cheques arrived in a very impressive envelope with a proper embossed wax seal.

After that I joined the Reserve bank of Australia. The only current accounts were those of the staff so even more exclusive than Coutts really.

After that thinks took a downward turn and moved to Barclays and then to the Co-op.

A sort of a downward spiral

All about (not) caring... - Runfer D'Hills
In the spirit of major cross threading, an acquaintance of mine once tried to pay for several portions of fish and chips with a Coutts cheque. It all unraveled a bit when the chip shop proprietor asked if he had a bank card to back it up...

"Er, no, not on me actually but trust me, it'll be fine..."

;-)
>> Coutts no doubt.

Lloyds I think.
 All about (not) caring... - Dog
>>Lloyds I think.

Way, way back in the mists of time, I seem to recall a Coutts and Co bank in Lower Regent St.
I used to 'clock' it as I came around the corner from Trafalgar Sq. on my way to work on me bike in the rain.
 All about (not) caring... - helicopter
My next door neighbour works for Coutts as a personal banker and a friend ,now retired also worked for them in security.The production of a Coutts cheque book does give them some pleasure as generally you have to show assetts of several million pounds ......but at the end of the day it is just a bank like any other.

Helicopter jr did some work a while back for the Bank of England and was paid with one of their cheques....I have never seen another one.

Anybody else seen one?
One regular freelance hacking gig I had used to pay on something like the African Bank of Credit and Commerce... nothing wrong with the bank I'm sure, it was more the issuer of the cheques which quite often bounced several times.

That same issuer had some choice and rare contacts in Africa though and they sometimes served me well, even saved my bacon.
 All about (not) caring... - Bromptonaut
>> Helicopter jr did some work a while back for the Bank of England and was
>> paid with one of their cheques....I have never seen another one.
>>
>> Anybody else seen one?

When I first started work c1979 job included handling solicitors cheques in respect of tribunal fees. Proceedings re commercial property were handled by top tier London firms. Some banked with Coutts, at least one with Hoare and co. Goslings (part of Barclays) and a private bank section of Williams Glynns ring bells too.
 All about (not) caring... - Zero
>> >> Helicopter jr did some work a while back for the Bank of England
>> and was
>> >> paid with one of their cheques....I have never seen another one.
>> >>
>> >> Anybody else seen one?

I have a beautiful cheque, drawn on the Bank of America from British Airways. Its very large and ornate with the redesigned "speed bird as a ribbon in the wind" logo across the top in BA colours. Its for the princely sum of £7.80 pence, and was to buy me out of the British Airway pension fund.

It was so nice its been framed in red and acts as my Feng shui money corner.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 14 Dec 15 at 09:29
 All about (not) caring... - CGNorwich
Reserve Bank of Australia were even more exclusive than the Bank of England. Less than 200 accounts in the UK. The cheques had the Australian coat of arms on them featuring a large Kangaroo which I never felt helped when offering one in payment.

I still have my red leather Coutts cheque book cover in which is contained my Co-Op cheque book

All about (not) caring... - Clk Sec
>>My Co-Op cheque book

My sincere and heartfelt condolences.
 All about (not) caring... - Mapmaker
Who cares about Coutts. They're just a part of Natwest and so owned by HM Government (or at least they were until March this year).

Cheques worth having come from Hoare & Co.
Latest Forum Posts