Non-motoring > What new turntable cartridge? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 9

What new turntable cartridge? - RattleandSmoke
I've had my Project Debut MK2 for around 15 years now. I've given it a good service (oiled it, changed the belt etc) but I am currently using an OM10 cartridge (I bought cheap back in 2001) and a cheap Ortofon Pro stylus.

I am now in the market for a new stylus. I was thinking the obvious thing is to keep the 15 year old cartridge and buy a new OM10 stylus but the OM range seems to have been replaced.

The recommendation that keeps coming on google is the the Ortofon 2M Red but would shops like Superfi etc be able to fit it as I am not sure I am confident to get the tracking etc exactly right.
 What new turntable cartridge? - tyrednemotional
...there still seem to be a good number of outlets for replacement styli for the OM10 at less than the price than a new 2M red.

Also a number of cheap (and possibly reputable) sources for "compatible" replacement styli (if you want to chance it) at *a lot* less than a new 2M red.

Google is your friend. (well, maybe not, but you know what I mean ;-) )
I was looking to upgrade it though, I am finding myself playing a lot more vinyl these days and I feel the cheap DJ stylus is holding back my system.
 What new turntable cartridge? - WillDeBeest
Then you need to take some proper money to a proper shop, which will give you proper advice and set the thing up for you. Properly.
}:---)
I have no where idea where though, the chains seem to have vanished most the local HIFI shops. I wonder if Superfi will fit the cartridge? I have a budget of around £100 tops.
 What new turntable cartridge? - WillDeBeest
Manchester has an Audio-T, which is a chain of proper hi-fi shops, (including the one in Basingstoke that sold me my LP12 in 1991.) Sevenoaks does proper kit and installations too, I think. An independent would be even better; worth a quick google and some phone calls.

Incidentally, I wouldn't dream of trying to fit a cartridge or an arm - all those tiny, delicate bolts and bearings! It really is a job for an expert, even at the £100 level. If it's going to last another 15 years, that's nothing at all.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Fri 27 Nov 15 at 11:20
I did it when I was a skint student, and fitted the cartridge on my DJ deck but there is a lot less precision on that. The project is a very fiddly thing to fit a cartridge on. I also suspect the alignment on mine isn't 100% which will not do the wear any good.

I wasn't away Audio T was still there in Manchester, but rarely walk down that road. I will have a look now.
 What new turntable cartridge? - tyrednemotional
>>
>> I wasn't away Audio T was still there in Manchester, but rarely walk down that
>> road. I will have a look now.
>>

...almost opposite Superfi, so you could check them both out at the same time. :-)

I don't play vinyl that often nowadays, and my cartridge is relatively little-used, though of some age.

It's a Goldring 1012GX, and I was astounded at the current price (I'm sure I didn't pay anywhere near as much!).

My turntable is on my "second system", most of which (except the cartridge) is getting on 40 years old, but it is probably worth more on the market than my prime system, largely due to the pair of original (and still mint) Rogers LS3/5A speakers.

That is where I knew it used to be, just assumed it had closed down but I very rarely walk down Bridge Street these days.
In the end I have ordered an OM10 stylus from Germany and I am keeping my OMB cartridge. Ending up around half the price as the cheapest UK source. I use the money I have saved to buy more records.
Latest Forum Posts