Non-motoring > Estate Agents Fees Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 24

Estate Agents Fees - CGNorwich
Looking to appoint Estate Agent.

They are quoting 1.5%

Am aiming to haggle for 1.00% as sole agent - is that about right?
 Estate Agents Fees - Falkirk Bairn
Why not try an internet Flat fee Agent if it is a "standard house/apartment"

If it is very posh / has issues then maybe 1.5% is worth it.

However, make it a contract for say 6/8/10 weeks as you do not want them claiming a fee if you indeed sell it in 4 months time via ANOther agent/internet/word of mouth!!
 Estate Agents Fees - Zero

>> Am aiming to haggle for 1.00% as sole agent - is that about right?

depends on your local market and the price of your property. Sold my mums house 18months ago, the market was heated, loads of buyers on their books, agents were crying out for property, asking price 430K, they were happy to go for 1% sole agency.
 Estate Agents Fees - Clk Sec
>>1% sole agency

I'd be looking for 0.75% now, but the best I could manage when we sold our last home was 1.25% - though that was very much a buyers' market at the time.

However, if you are offered a discount, make sure that it won't be at the expense of a reduced level of service. We experienced that way back years ago, and had to swiftly move to another agency.

Joining Haywain?
Joining Haywain?

No but could be across the Suffolk border. A big move crossing the Waveney
>> Joining Haywain?
>>
>> No but could be across the Suffolk border. A big move crossing the Waveney

not least the language barrier.
He'll be partially broken in already, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
 Estate Agents Fees - Bromptonaut
Having a job that has me speaking to people from Barton on Humber to Brentwood I can say that while weakening, the English regional accent (and local usages) is surviving.
 Estate Agents Fees - movilogo
Just go for online estate agents. They are far cheaper.

You will have to show around prospective buyers yourself though - which I think is a good thing IMHO.

They will send a photographer (with wide angle lens) to take photos and you can pretty much set your own price.

I used one earlier this year. Although I opted for £99 initial + £999 completion fee + VAT, on hindsight I could have gone for £399+VAT upfront with no completion fee as house sold on day 1.

>>Just go for online estate agents. They are far cheaper.

I think trying to sell online might be worth thinking about, as long as the property is going to be professionally advertised and featured on Rightmove, etc.

Much might depend on the degree of urgency, as I expect a local agency with good contacts will achieve an quicker sale.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Wed 18 Nov 15 at 13:34
 Estate Agents Fees - Dog
>>I think trying to sell online might be worth thinking about, as long as the property is going to be professionally advertised and featured on Rightmove, etc.

Spot on guv'nor. Every owse I've sold (and I've sold a few!) has gorn via Rightmove.
 Estate Agents Fees - Haywain
"Joining Haywain?"

Would you believe, I'd never seen overt racism until I went to Norfolk 3 or 4 years ago to see Coalville take on King's Lynn in the 2nd leg of the FA Vase semi-final. Marvellous result, of course, and Coalville beat King's Lynn 6-0 on aggregate. But someone in the Norfolk crowd couldn't resist throwing a banana at a black Coalville player as he left the pitch. Treating such ignorance as it should be treated, the Coalville lad picked it up, examined it carefully, and ate it - waving his thanks as he walked off!

No, I firmly believe that anyone considering migration to Suffolk from Norfolk should be held in some sort of transit camp where they can be thoroughly vetted. The dodgy ones should be waved through - directly to Essex where they might feel more at home.
 Estate Agents Fees - Roger.
Don't moan about UK agent's fees: typically in Spain it's 5% + VAT.

Last edited by: Roger. on Wed 18 Nov 15 at 17:48
Isn't lumping the entire population of Norfolk together because of the activity of one idiot er, well, er, a bit racist?

Just saying like.
Nah - it's "countyist".
"Isn't lumping the entire population of Norfolk together because of the activity of one idiot er, well, er, a bit racist?"

I know that Norfolk people can be distinguished by the feint smell of herring, but they aren't a separate race - yet. Mind you, I remember a Norfolk chap on these board having some quite unsavoury attitudes towards excretory etiquette in the cinema. We take a dim view of that sort of thing here, y'know ;-)
Well perhaps not legally but morally it's much the same thing.

Anyway we seem to have captured one of your towns.

www.norfolkmag.co.uk/out-about/places/ten_great_reasons_to_visit_market_town_beccles_norfolk_1_1865678

"Anyway we seem to have captured one of your towns."

Huh - the cheek of it! Wouldn't you prefer Lowestoft instead - it's bigger?
 Estate Agents Fees - legacylad
I was considering buying in the USA a few years ago, and sellers fees were between 5% & 6%. The realtors were self employed and worked under the umbrella of an agency. I may be wrong but I seem to remember the buyer also having to pay commission.
 Estate Agents Fees - Dog
I've bought and sold 9 properties over the years, including one in Tenerife, and I've never been at all interested in what the estate agents fees are. I'm more interested in how estate agent presents my property, what price they can achieve for the gaff and the actual work they are prepared to put in to attract a punter.

I sold my Truro property using one-of the most expensive www.lillicrapchilcott.com/ estate agents in Cornwall, who did an exemplary job of flogging my property for a more-than satisfactory price.
We paid a negotiated 6000 euros when we sold our apartment in Spain. That included VAT and was slightly less than the 5% demanded. Estate agents in Spain just HATE & often refuse price negotiation. Paid in cash on signing the paperwork in the notary's office.
The Estate agents did all the legal work (not vast for selling) for that (OK for selling, but not for purchasing!).
Payment for the dwelling is by banker's draft handed to the vendor (+ cash if part of the deal) immediately upon signing the escritura in the notary's office.
Last edited by: Roger. on Thu 19 Nov 15 at 10:02
No we've bypassed Lowestoft and are marching on Southwold to take the brewery.
"No we've bypassed Lowestoft and are marching on Southwold to take the brewery."

You might have bitten off more than you can chew with Adnams ........ they are a ferocious bunch - aggressive to the point of opening up a new brewery shop in the centre of Bury, home of Greene King!
>> No we've bypassed Lowestoft and are marching on Southwold to take the brewery.

I'd take over the beach huts, some of the most expensive in the UK.
 Estate Agents Fees - Dog
Y'all can pick up a beach hut for as little as £245k in Devon:

www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/9706377/Inside-Britains-most-expensive-beach-hut.html
Latest Forum Posts