Non-motoring > A few days in Edinburgh Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 14

A few days in Edinburgh - legacylad
I always enjoy a few days in this city. Unfortunately it always seems to rain. Lots.
Train last Sunday, arriving early afternoon. Premier Inn at Newhaven ( Leith) for ten in our group. Afternoon beers at Teuchters Landing and the Malt & Hops after dumping our bags, then an evenings entertainment at The Stand Comedy Club, York Place. 4 comedians plus compère @ £6. More drinks at the Conan Doyle just around the corner before closing time.
Monday AM Royal Yacht, which far surpassed my expectations. PM walked along Waters of Leith in the rain to Nat Museum of Modern Art in two adjacent buildings. Free entry! Viewed Roy Lichtenstein exhibition which I wanted to see, plus a Hockney. Rocky Mtns & Tired Indians which I cannot get a print of. Bus back to Leith, regular service and only £1.50 single journey or £4 all day. Quick pint then Vue Cinema at Ocean Terminal to watch Spectre.
Tuesday still raining, but leisurely bfast at Brewers Fayre next door, continental @ £6.25. Bus to centre of town the 'free' Sandeman walking tour at 11am for 2.5 hours. Excellent guide, lots of interesting stuff & history. Well worth the discomfort of pouring rain and a decent tip to the guide. Regrouped in Guildford & Abbotsford pubs before mid afternoon train home from Waverley, via Carlisle, to Settle.
I think I packed quite a lot in to 60 hours and am looking forward to another visit next year.
 A few days in Edinburgh - Bromptonaut
>> Afternoon beers at Teuchters Landing

I thought Teuchter was a pejorative Lowland term for a supposedly uneducated person arriving from the Highlands/Islands. Seems an odd name for a bar.
 A few days in Edinburgh - Runfer D'Hills
I grew up in 'Embra'. Miss it and always enjoy going back. Would love to move back but can't practically at present.

Edit- were you aware that the Queen's husband is the 'Chookie Embra'?

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 14 Nov 15 at 12:34
The bar is located on the Leith waterfront. Makes sense then? Nice building, cosy rooms, friendly drinkers, decent food. Expensive beers though by our ( non Wspoons) standards. We found Nothing under £3.00 a pint, cheapest being £3.40. Eek. Free museums and cheap buses so not complaining.
Chookie Embra. Much nicer than Phil the Greek
The younger brother of a friend of mine came out of the Edinburgh police after 30 years service at the age of 48. Good pension etc and he now leads walking tours in the city for a bit of pin money and to keep fit.

Allegedly, divorced American women are a particular favourite of his on the tours...

I don't hate him exactly. All that much anyway...
 A few days in Edinburgh - Old Navy
It's not too bad up here really, even the rain stops occasionally. :-)
Yes, just when we were leaving on Tuesday afternoon!
As I live just across the river I can choose my time. If you want really wet try Glasgow and the west coast. :-)
No such thing as the wrong weather, just as long as you don't have the wrong clothes.
Dont go west of Stirling without a waterproof coat.
And some midge repellent.
Deet is the only thing that might just work if you are lucky and get well fed midges.
 A few days in Edinburgh - Auntie Lockbrakes
When I was a student at Stirling Uni 25 years ago you could always guarantee excellent sunny weather in the second half of May. At year-end exam time... Pub terrace or revision, what a choice!
Old School Brewery at Carnforth has beers called Detention, Textbook & Blackboard. You could study them whilst revising.
Carnforth Beer Festival. Next Friday at The Snug on the platform at Carnforth, home of the film Brief Encounter. See you there.
Note to self: false beard & sandals required.
Latest Forum Posts