Non-motoring > Right or wrong? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 33

Right or wrong? - MD
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-34798739

In my book RIGHT.
 Right or wrong? - Bromptonaut
OK provided 'advice' was offered as well as tea.
 Right or wrong? - Cliff Pope
Right, I think, assuming that they could spare the time.
But it's a shame they have to dress up looking like Ukrainian para-military forces.
If I were 95 I'd find a bobby wearing a proper helmet a bit more reassuring.
 Right or wrong? - Old Navy
No problem for me, any more than the local scroat having an occasional painful "accident".
 Right or wrong? - Pat
An act of kindness without rebuke was exactly the right thing to do.

Pat
 Right or wrong? - smokie
Blooming youngsters, always wanting to be the centre of attention... :-)

While I like the sentiment and it appears they handled it really well, I'm afraid it's wrong for me, the police are too stretched already doing the job they are trained and paid for. Should have been passed to a SWAT team in social services (but I doubt those exist either. Maybe, God forbid, a manager could have got off his/her backside to go and deal :-) )

Right or wrong? - VxFan
Asked if the police should be spending time on such calls, PC Ockwell replied: "It's neighbourhood policing for me."

Er, no, it's misuse of the 999 system. Why should their age let them get away with it. Go join a golden years club or suchlike if you're lonely, or buy a cat.
 Right or wrong? - Lygonos
If a 95 year old who doesn't habitually dial 999 suddenly decide to do so, then perhaps they are quite distressed?

Maybe they aren't aware of 111 and social services etc.

Pretty sure it's good for a copper's soul to spend some of his/her working day helping people rather than nicking cretins and turning out bitter'n'twisted after they give up the cuffs.
 Right or wrong? - R.P.
and social services etc

You're having a giraffe !?
 Right or wrong? - Westpig
>> and social services etc
>>
>> You're having a giraffe !?

Aye.

Nowadays, it's a difficult one because on the surface of it that's a reasonable thing to do, enhances the reputation of the police and is something a decent human being would agree with.

However, when I was in charge of 8 sergeants and 50 PCs on a team that dealt with all the calls on a London Borough... i'd have had the right hump if two PCs had spent half an hour on that, whilst everyone else was desperately trying to keep the lid on things and usually failing to some extent.

I think morally it is correct, but the reality nowadays is it cannot be afforded, sadly.

There is no support from other services in reality.
 Right or wrong? - Armel Coussine
>> However, when I was in charge of 8 sergeants and 50 PCs on a team that dealt with all the calls on a London Borough... i'd have had the right hump if two PCs had spent half an hour on that, whilst everyone else was desperately trying to keep the lid on things and usually failing to some extent.

>> I think morally it is correct, but the reality nowadays is it cannot be afforded, sadly.

So what we really need is more police? Doesn't speak well for our British self-discipline.

In a raffish life I have had dealings with the police from time to time, some affable and some not. From my narrow experience I would say that only a minority of coppers are b******s, despite training and canteen culture that sometimes seem calculated to make them so.

But I'm polite and middle class, trained at some expense to be a smarmy git at will. Rough or mischievous types may upset them more easily.
 Right or wrong? - Roger.
I hear that some officious t*** is suggesting that all rookie cops must have a degree to join the "service".
 Right or wrong? - Fullchat
Yeap :( Its time they went and picked on someone else.

Been tried before. Ends up with a lot of disappointed employees with high expectations of advancement who cant climb the greasy pole.

All they need is someone with common sense, good communication, the ability to take charge and not frightened to get stuck in. The ability to structure written reports and statements would be handy but alas that seems to have fallen by the wayside.
>> Been tried before. Ends up with a lot of disappointed employees with high expectations of
>> advancement who cant climb the greasy pole.

>> All they need is someone with common sense, good communication, the ability to take charge
>> and not frightened to get stuck in. The ability to structure written reports and statements
>> would be handy but alas that seems to have fallen by the wayside.
>>

Couldn't agree more.
>> I hear that some officious t*** is suggesting that all rookie cops must have a
>> degree to join the "service".
>>

There's an underlying reason there I suspect.

The training you have to do currently has long now been recognised as modules for a degree, so you could be an existing cop, register with a university, use your existing training as automatic modules passed (the more senior the rank, the more modules that are in the bag).... work and pass a some more and you have a degree in policing.

So I suspect the thinking here is to get graduates to do all their police learning prior to signing on... and thereby saving the police the cost of training people.
Last edited by: Westpig on Fri 13 Nov 15 at 22:48
 Right or wrong? - R.P.
So I suspect the thinking here is to get graduates to do all their police learning prior to signing on... and thereby saving the police the cost of training people.

That was the Pol Fed's opinion in a radio interview as well/
 Right or wrong? - smokie
It's what happens with nurses innit? Albeit that a lot of the uni course is "on the job" learning.

Presumably other professions too.
 Right or wrong? - stan10
Reassuring to know that some younger people still live in the real, caring world.

Critics may eventually come to review their viewpoints ...

Regarding the Degree requirement, i knew someone who had a "degree" and touched a live wire, "to see if it was working" !! and couldn't understand where the pain came from.

Maybe we should introduce a Degree in "Common Sense"
 Right or wrong? - Slidingpillar
Degree in 'childcare' anyone? Just about any subject you can think of has a degree course these days.

Am I an electrical engineer? Yup
Do I know what a mains shock feels like? Yup
Would I do it again? No

I would however point out I was young and stupid at the time. Mains can kill, although in a dry environment and with no heart condition, you ought to live.
 Right or wrong? - Zero

>> I would however point out I was young and stupid at the time. Mains can
>> kill, although in a dry environment and with no heart condition, you ought to live.

Indeed, I am living proof. tested that theory several times
>>Indeed, I am living proof. tested that theory several times

As long as you do the 'testing' with the back of your finger the jolt makes your finger bend away from the source.

If you're dumb enough to grab a possible live then Darwin wins again.
 Right or wrong? - Zero

>> If you're dumb enough to grab a possible live then Darwin wins again.

DC makes you grip, AC makes you jumpy - tested it with the back of my hand and the front!

In truth its all about the location and quality of the earth return, if you have one hand on a good ground - a water pipe for example, and you grab mains with the other, the electric flow across your chest, is going to be very serious indeed.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 15 Nov 15 at 18:47
 Right or wrong? - Haywain
"In truth "

.......... if electricity were invented today, it would be banned because it would be too dangerous!
 Right or wrong? - Zero
>> "In truth "
>>
>> .......... if electricity were invented today, it would be banned because it would be too
>> dangerous!

wont stop you being struck by lightening. Thats a similar point the ban the bomb merchants always forget.
 Right or wrong? - Duncan
>> wont stop you being struck by lightening.

Being struck by lightening is something I could do with.

No matter what I do I seem to get struck by heavying.
 Right or wrong? - smokie
@Stan10 I am not an uncaring person. I just watch those reality programmes where the police (and other emergency services) are kept from doing much more important (and often life saving) things by people who really don't deserve the time of anyone's day. These are usually drunks (usually under age 40ish) rather than old lonely people but the principle is the same.

When you are lying in the street taking a kicking from some yob and you find later that the police were having a nice cuppa with a lonely person maybe you'll re-think your viewpoint.
How often do the Police save someone from a beating?

Almost never.

They investigate afterwards.
 Right or wrong? - smokie
Maybe not but there's more chance that they would if they were out and about rather than being carers.

What would the local GP have done had he received the call? (That's a real question, not a pop at you...!! :-) )
 Right or wrong? - zippy
I saw a bobby walking along yesterday, I was so shocked that I had a double take. Oddly though he was wearing a peaked cap rather than a helmet.
 Right or wrong? - Robin O'Reliant
>> I saw a bobby walking along yesterday, I was so shocked that I had a
>> double take. Oddly though he was wearing a peaked cap rather than a helmet.
>>
He would be a Special Constable, I believe.
 Right or wrong? - Clk Sec
>>Oddly though he was wearing a peaked cap rather than a helmet.

Traffic police. Non SUV.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Sat 14 Nov 15 at 12:08
>>What would the local GP have done had he received the call?

Depends on the content of the call - if a couple in their 90s, presumably housebound, called to say they were struggling I'd at least speak to them on the 'phone, and depending what their history and story was would consider visiting them to ensure there wasn't an acute medical issue, or to determine what services could be engaged to help them.

Medicine, much like policing, is entirely dependent upon information and communication.

If you don't gather the information you can't do the job.
 Right or wrong? - R.P.
Like most public facing jobs !
 Right or wrong? - Harleyman
>
>> Medicine, much like policing, is entirely dependent upon information and communication.
>>
>> If you don't gather the information you can't do the job.
>>

Good points; but nor can you do the job if said information isn't communicated to the right people.

And that's the part where the social services frequently fall flat on their backsides.
Latest Forum Posts