Non-motoring > SIM card compatability. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 27

SIM card compatability. - R.P.
I'm on a reasonable deal with my current phone. It's a Blackberry Bold - a largely unreliable heap of junk. I'm thinking of buying an iPhone (either 3 or 4) will the SIM from the BB work in the the iPhone ?

Noticed today when in Tesco that they were selling SIMS for 97p allowing unlimited data, calls and texts for £30.00 a month on a rolling no notice contract. Any views ?
 SIM card compatability. - Fenlander
>>>Noticed today when in Tesco that they were selling SIMS for 97p allowing unlimited data, calls and texts for £30.00 a month on a rolling no notice contract. Any views ?

In a neaby thread I'm looking at changing youngest daughters phone for a smartphone. She is already on a great sim-only deal with Virgin that has just 30 days notice. Gives far more options at upgrade time if you have a good sim deal with no/minimal tie in.

I have a Tesco phone deal myself (payg as I don't use it loads) and we've found them to have great UK customer service. Very helpful doing swaps, upgrades and changes without fuss or charge. The network is good too in our home area and all the areas we travel.
 SIM card compatability. - Zero
The sim will work in an iphone 3 only if

1/ its already been activated or was purchased on the same network

2/ The iphone has been jailbroken - point 1 is redundant.

The sim WILL NOT work on an iphone 4 - the iphone 4 uses a micro sim. the old one wont fit.

Moved from a jailbroken iphone 2g to a Iphone 4 this week.

Ideally you need at least an iphone 3gs to use IOS 4.01
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 22 Jul 10 at 13:38
 SIM card compatability. - Hard Cheese

>>Noticed today when in Tesco that they were selling SIMS for 97p allowing unlimited data, calls and texts for £30.00 a month on a rolling no notice contract. Any views ? >>

Vodafone offer 100 mins plus 500 texts and O2 50 mins plus unlimited texts both £10 per month on a two year deal plus a decent phone thrown in on a two year contract, pay a bit more and you get more mins must be a better deal surely even if you only use the inclusive phone as a spare. For £30 p/m you can loads of mins, unlimted texts and loads of data included.
It's the data deal that attracted me.
 SIM card compatability. - rtj70
A full size SIM can be cut to fit an iPhone 4. There are tools to help do it too.

I saw someone in the office today with an iPhone 4. The display is very good and I liked the phone a lot. He also said the phone is fine with signal quality etc and the media hype is mainly that.
Anyone else remember some mobiles in the 90s took the SIM card in it's credit card sized version. Now they tend to arrive like that but you 'pop it out' of the surrounding plastic. I think Motorola's used these at one time.
The sim now comes on the standard credit card size, witht he standard sim to "pop" out and then inside that the micro sim to pop out if need be.

Yes you can get a sim cutter to cut the sim down to the micro sim, but it needs to be good quality becuase the edges of the micro sim are "very" close to the contacts.

Had my Iphone for for three days now. The display (so called retina) is stunning and kicks everything else into the dark ages. Batteyr life (sure there is more to come once fully bedded in) is in the region of 2.5 days. The camera is very good with excelent HD(ish ~ 720) video.

IOS4.1 is very good and the ability to create folder for your apps is long overdue.

Terrified of dropping the thing tho.

Will be applying for my free bumper which may protect the corners if dropped.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 22 Jul 10 at 19:50
 SIM card compatability. - henry k
Re Iphone
I would agree, the clarity of the screen is stunning.
Son bought one on day one and came round to demo his replacement toy.

>>Will be applying for my free bumper which may protect the corners if dropped.
Son bought a bumper on day one IIRC £25 a real rip off. I haven't asked if he can get a refund :-)
It takes a couple of drops to totally destroy it though. But it does BLEND.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WbCpqURN9A

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLreo24WYeQ
Thanks all, Zero I have an Otterbox cover for my Blackberry. Very robust bit of kit, if I get an iPhone I will buy one of these for it, well worth it.

I may buy an iPhone 3G and use my BB SIM - I'm due an upgrade in October. SO the sums stack up like this - 34 quid a month for 600 mins of calls, 1000 txts and unlimited data. I;ll get between 90 and 120 quid back for the BB depending on where I punt it. I'll get around 180 quid casback as my upgrade, seems simple and cunning.
Buy the 3Gs, the 3G struggles on IOS4.1.
Thanks.
I think the only option for new phones is 3GS or 4 for the iPhones. I'd get an iPhone 4.
I figured he might be buying second hand.
No new I think the 3GS is still available I believe... I might be tempted into a 4 if the deal is right.
Yes its 3GS or 4 then as the only options

Price of handset is dependent on Memory size
Don't start me on that one - I have 16gig iTouch but seems plenty enough or do I need 32Gig ???

Arrrrggh !
I have a mcro 16gig USB stick in my car head unit. Its more than enough for music on the road.

However

In Iphone world you have to include apps, photos and videos. With Iphone 4 you have HD video as well around 130 meg per minute of video.
So it's a 32Gig then - :-(
Last edited by: Pugugly on Thu 22 Jul 10 at 22:13
I thought options for new were:

- 8Gb 3GS
- 16Gb 4
- 32Gb 4

So it's an iPhone 4 but don't hold it wrong. To suggest second hand purchase deserves contempt ;-)
In reply to the above PU, how much space are Apps, Music and Video taking on the iPod Touch. iTunes shows this graphically.
Dunno, I'll check but I have a stack to put on !

I had considered a second hand one btw !! Pensioner now you know.
>> So it's an iPhone 4 but don't hold it wrong.

I am right handed, so hold the phone in my left hand and poke the screen with my right. I have OS4.1 so I have new currency bars. The only way I can get the bars to drop is to press the ball of my thumb and bridge the l/h bottom gap, and spread my fingers over the R/H to bridge the R/H gap.

To suggest second hand purchase
>> deserves contempt ;-)

Listen, the man bought a Roomster.
And a Yamaha YBR 125 (long story)
One could buy an ulocked iPhone 4 16Gb for £499 direct from Apple or £599 gets you a 32Gb version.

I have more music than will fit on my iPod Touch 16Gb and deciding what goes on it for a period of time is best done at the computer. Scrolling through everything even if it fit takes too long. And then there is the space needed for video.

I am starting to find Genius better and better. Tried that PU? 16Gb might be plenty you know. But for £100 more 32Gb might be best.

The new iPod touch will be out soon of course and that will have upto 64Gb.
Stop it :-)
Sorry.

Did I say someone next to me in the Warrington office had one and the display on the iPhone 4 was very good. And he said phone signal fine.

But it did blend well.

I'll get into trouble when I should be saving monthly mortgage payments soon! I bought a camera last month. :-)
Latest Forum Posts